Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #31
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is there a best time to go running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
Lets expound on this idea that we can look at the body as a broad system and ignore the internal dynamics.

Can I eat nothing but candy bars and chips so long as I hit my Cal/day goal?

Can I not train at all sit on the couch all day and simply reduce my Cal by what I would have burned at the gym?

Can I just eat one huge honking meal just before I go to bed to hit my Cal/day goal?

No of course not. Now Mr. Cosgrove knows this full well but he lacks the education to understand how this also means that he is misapplying the 1st law of thermodynamics. The reason none of these things are a good idea is because of the dynamics of the system.

Were Mr. Cosgrove correct and the 1st law properly applied than everything I listed above would be just fine. That’s the thing about physics. A law is a law if it applies to one it applies to all. If the use of the 1st law is valid in this case everything I listed above works. However the complex dynamics of his defined system makes the 1st law inapplicable for this purpose.
You can carry on with your silly posts all night. Alwyn Cosgrove is world-renown for what he does. Whether what he said in that post I made is accurate I don't know. What I do know is you don't get to where he is by being wrong, like you say he is.

Yet again my point is he has experience and ideas which actually work. It makes no difference whatsoever if you know more about physics, his stuff works, which has been my point all along.

I couldn't be bothered to keep repeating the same stuff so I'm done.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #32
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
You can carry on with your silly posts all night. Alwyn Cosgrove is world-renown for what he does. Whether what he said in that post I made is accurate I don't know. What I do know is you don't get to where he is by being wrong, like you say he is.

Yet again my point is he has experience and ideas which actually work. It makes no difference whatsoever if you know more about physics, his stuff works, which has been my point all along.

I couldn't be bothered to keep repeating the same stuff so I'm done.
Ahem, I'm going to let you in on a little secret the key to sports training is getting your clients to buy in and do the work with effort even if you have them do jumping jacks all day. People like Mr. Cosgrove are 90% motivational speaker 10% some guy who once had some physiology courses.

Putting things in terms of calorie balance is a good tool to get people to buy in. Its easy to understand. Absolutely wrong but easy to understand.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #33
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
Just looked at the courses for a BS. in sports science from Chester University formerly Chester College of the University of Liverpool family.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

As usual no true physics.

And ISAA isn't a real masters in the academic sense just a certificate you get.
I'd consider Biomechanics to be 'true Physics', it's not as if it's just made up.

Anyway pointless argument in relation to this thread. The guy isn't concerned about losing fat, so he should eat before he goes running.
Aerobic exercise cathabolises protein 4 times as quickly as anaerobic, so it's vital he gets some carbs into him before he does his running otherwise he'll suffer reductions in muscle mass.
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #34
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
Aerobic exercise cathabolises protein 4 times as quickly as anaerobic, so it's vital he gets some carbs into him before he does his running otherwise he'll suffer reductions in muscle mass.
Which is pretty much what I heard.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #35
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
I'd consider Biomechanics to be 'true Physics', it's not as if it's just made up.

Anyway pointless argument in relation to this thread. The guy isn't concerned about losing fat, so he should eat before he goes running.
Bull, it takes excessive aerobic exercise for cortisol levels to spike we are talking like in excess of 2 hours. Fat is dipped into first. The body controls which form of metabolism it uses through the secretion of epinephrine which serves as the body's marker for the level of intensity. It takes a high level of epinephrine for cortisol production to kick into gear.

Last edited by Windigo; 05-05-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #36
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

I'm not expert.. But my trainer says there is no "time". As long as you're motivated to do it at that time in your regimen, then you're good.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #37
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
I'm not expert.. But my trainer says there is no "time". As long as you're motivated to do it at that time in your regimen, then you're good.

90% is doing the work. This is where almost everyone falls short. From the perspective of a trainer or coach the most frustrating thing is just getting your athletes to put in the work.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #38
SupraTT24
Heart Of A Champion
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Running (or working out) starts the body burning fat after about 20 to 30 mins, and that lasts for some time after your workout ends (not sure how long, someone here might).

Most runners I know have the opinion that getting your metabolism going in the morning helps weight loss by burning extra calories during the early part of the day.

I don't know all of the details on it, but that is the jist of what I have read. I'm sure you can find something on it at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] They also have a free training log that I highly recommend using.

Secondly, there is the heat/sun preference. Some don't like the heat/sun, others (like me) prefer to run in the heat/sun and sweat it out as much as possible.

Third, depending on where you live and your route, you might schedule around traffic. I like running along the river in Cincinnati, but during busy traffic the exhaust fumes and traffic make it zero fun. If I get a chance to do those routes at off times, I usually go for it.

Fourth, scenery availability. The routes I run typically have other runners out...and during peak hours in the summer, all the runner chicks are out and that can motivate you to keep on going.

Hope that helps.

In truth this first part is wrong. You start burning fat after about two minutes. when your worout becomes aerobic. from then on you burn fat untill you overwork and burn muscle. The reason to run in the morining is the same reason your breakfast is supposed to be your biggest meal. Because it jumpstarts your body, brain and metabolism. And the best way to burn fat is to run when its coldest, because your body is burning more calories to keep the temp up. if you run while it's hot you burn them more slowly so you don't overheat.. My advice to everyone is if you have the option, run in the morning
SupraTT24 is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #39
dzj

vCash: 500

I like to do it in the morning with just coffee in my stomach. It kicks starts the day and if i'm able to get off my ass and run, then i won't feel like a completely fat ass. Also I heard it's best to run in cold weather (can't remember the reasoning behind it)
dzj is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #40
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Depends on what you are running for. Since you are on ESB, the "best" time to go running is... far enough from your skill training for your body to recover.

Your body runs more efficiently in the morning (when you first wake up). That means you actually get LESS bang for your buck on a building/calorie burn perspective. At the same time this will leave you fresher for evening boxing workouts.

For a boxer the focus is skills. So morning running makes sense.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #41
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
So true. Like they say in farming. "The best time to plant crops is... Last year!"

So the best time to run is when you can.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #42
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
So true. Like they say in farming. "The best time to plant crops is... Last year!"

So the best time to run is when you can.
BUT! When you are planning your training and setting your schedule why would you not take into account the optimum. Morning cardio is going to have fat account for abut 2/3rds of the calorie consumption as opposed to 1/2 later in the day. Now if you are absolutely unable to schedule morning cardio that’s understandable. If you are trying to build stamina more than loose weight that is also understandable. But I'm a firm believer in a solid disciplined schedule and routine. If I'm looking to loose wait and planning towards that purpose I'm running in the morning.

Now in ragards to my earlier argument about treating the body as a broad system. I was thinking about the black box experiment. As a man of science this is pretty much the same thing and I'm reminded of one of the main points of the black box experiment. The major test of the black box is for the young engineer to use their understanding of various components figure out the components inside of the black box and how they are put together. But there is another thing the black box teaches the young engineer and that is just how difficult it is to understand the internal dynamics of a broad system. When you set the system so broad that you have reduced everything to an input and an output it is extremely difficult to deduce what is actually occurring within that system.

It is at times very convenient to define broad systems but when we do so we loose a great deal of understanding about that system. So we must be cautious and understand out propose when we set our system so broad.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #43
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You over think this stuff way too much. The difference in calories burned over the time of the day will be very small, pointless to even think about.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #44
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
You over think this stuff way too much.
I'm not over thinking it I'm a lot smarter than you are. This is under thinking for me. Technically you are really under thinking it because you are defining a system too broad since you aren't smart enough to understand the system dynamics. Defining a broad system removes internal dynamics but you cant jump in and out of your defined system. If you define a broad system you then cant jump into the system and make an all encompassing claim about fat metabolism. This is basic science.

Quote:
The difference in calories burned over the time of the day will be very small, pointless to even think about.

So I can eat junk food so long as I don’t exceed my Cal/day goal?
So I can sit on the couch all day so long as I cut my Cal by what I would have burned?
So I can eat just a one huge meal right before bed after an all day fast that gets me my Cal/day?

You don’t know what the hell you are talking about and miss applying the 1st law of thermo just like those glorfied PE teachers you think are experts. Quit making the same lame ass ignorant statement over and over again. If you were correct the answer to all of the above questions would be YES! You are ****ing wrong your gym teachers with meaningless degrees are ****ing wrong and I'm growing tired of explaining it to you.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #45
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'm not over thinking it I'm a lot smarter than you are. This is under thinking for me. Technically you are really under thinking it because you are defining a system too broad since you aren't smart enough to understand the system dynamics. Defining a broad system removes internal dynamics but you cant jump in and out of your defined system. If you define a broad system you then cant jump into the system and make an all encompassing claim about fat metabolism. This is basic science.

So I can eat junk food so long as I don’t exceed my Cal/day goal?
So I can sit on the couch all day so long as I cut my Cal by what I would have burned?
So I can eat just a one huge meal right before bed after an all day fast that gets me my Cal/day?

You don’t know what the hell you are talking about and miss applying the 1st law of thermo just like those glorfied PE teachers you think are experts. Quit making the same lame ass ignorant statement over and over again. If you were correct the answer to all of the above questions would be YES! You are ****ing wrong your gym teachers with meaningless degrees are ****ing wrong and I'm growing tired of explaining it to you.
Seriously, I think everyone is bored of hearing this crap. I really don't care if your smarter than me, makes no difference to me whatsoever. You really are over-complicating this whole thing in a bad attemped to sound smart. To lose body fat - eat less and do sprints. Alter the amount you eat and the amount you sprint accord into your results. Simple as that.
viru§™ is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing