boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Nawfal
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 837
vCash: 1000
Default why isnt calzaghe kessler on itv?

ffs i thought fw signed a deal with itv.

what happened?
Nawfal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 75
Default Re: why isnt calzaghe kessler on itv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawfal
ffs i thought fw signed a deal with itv.

what happened?
He has deals with both ITV and Setanta .

HBO didn't seem too intertested at first , Frank needed someone that could come up with the money for the megafight to go ahead withor without US tv .
Setanta were willing to put up the cash and ITV weren't .

HBO decide they were just about interested after all , the time of the fight gets set to 01:30 to suit US tv viewers(seems like a compromise of a time as normally it has to go to even earlier in the morning than that) .

So the reason it is being shown on Setanta:
1.Setanta wanted the fight enough to put the money up .
2.ITV really only care about Amir Khan anymore , you will never see a Khan bill on Setanta but watch the amount of bills on ITV without Khan declining vastly .

ITV seem to only want to show Khan as they know he's guaranteed to get viewers more so than any other ****** fighter .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
BaronBrad
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 102
vCash: 1000
Default Re: why isnt calzaghe kessler on itv?

I don't think ITV will be showing any boxing which does not involve Khan. Any other ****** card will be on Sentanta or not at all.

It's a shame really because it is preventing Khan from fighting on the biggest cards and maybe getting on HBO PPV.

It is a shame that we will not be able to watch it. Hopefully we will be able to d/l it in a week or two.
BaronBrad is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,786
vCash: 1000
Default Re: why isnt calzaghe kessler on itv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronBrad

It's a shame really because it is preventing Khan from fighting on the biggest cards and maybe getting on HBO PPV.
I don't see it like that. This way Khan gets valuable exposure on terrestrial TV and at this stage in his carrer thats better than fighting on big HBO cards in front of an empty crowd as a warm up act.

****** and Khan have stuck with terrestrial TV for a good reason.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
_J_G_
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: liverpool, england
Posts: 144
vCash: 1000
Default Re: why isnt calzaghe kessler on itv?

Ill be watching it via a stream i think begrudge paying for more sports channels.
_J_G_ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 1000
Default Re: why isnt calzaghe kessler on itv?

I think its the ITV deal that is part of the reason Khan has had to step up his level of opponents - more so than ******.

There was rumours that ITV wasn't always happy with Khan's opposition. Its interesting that after the Steffy Bull fight which was widely criticised, Khan was put in with Limond, then Lawton (although a let down) and now Earl.

I don't think ****** would have chosen this route if it was just down to him. Obviously Khan is also in a hurry but I think its the TV deal that is now dictating the pace to a large degree.
elle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
SevenSamurai
3 year ESB vet.
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 868
vCash: 500
Default Re: why isnt calzaghe kessler on itv?

If you got a problem with it only being on setanta, why not just subscribe?
SevenSamurai is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 11,019
vCash: 1500
Default Re: why isnt calzaghe kessler on itv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Randsom
If you got a problem with it only being on setanta, why not just subscribe?
Because it is not a big enough fight to justify the cost.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
TAM83
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 515
vCash: 75
Default Re: why isnt calzaghe kessler on itv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Because it is not a big enough fight to justify the cost.
It only costs a fiver a month just now, that'll also get you the Mosley vs Cotto fight

That's value in my opinion anyway.
TAM83 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 11,019
vCash: 1500
Default Re: why isnt calzaghe kessler on itv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM83
It only costs a fiver a month just now, that'll also get you the Mosley vs Cotto fight

That's value in my opinion anyway.
No, I pay 100 for SKY, another fiver for German football does not cut it.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #11
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,786
vCash: 1000
Default Re: why isnt calzaghe kessler on itv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
No, I pay 100 for SKY, another fiver for German football does not cut it.
I'd have thought if you're daft enough to pay Sky 100 then another fiver to watch a couple of big fights a month is chickenfeed?
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 11,019
vCash: 1500
Default Re: why isnt calzaghe kessler on itv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
I'd have thought if you're daft enough to pay Sky 100 then another fiver to watch a couple of big fights a month is chickenfeed?
Has to be a point where you say no... Kettering Vs Boston United, no thanks
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015