Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 03:52 AM   #31
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 20,023
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
I will not comment on the ability of Bob Fitzimmons...
But there was one man who SAW every heavyweight from John L Sullivan to Joe Louis...He was a famous American poet who wrote the definitive piece on Bob Fitzimmons...The poet was Edgar Lee Masters,1869-1950..He saw every champion until 1949,and was a boxing lover besides a poet...He insisted that Bob Fitzimmons who Masters saw many times would have licked every heavyweight,until 1949...Very convincing...
The article is in a book I have called The Book of Boxing, by W.C. Heinz and Nathan Ward...The Time Of Ruby Robert,article titled pg.228..
What a convincing piece from a boxing expert who saw them ALL..A Fighting Machine On Stilts, Ruby Robert was called...Check it out...b.b.
I have this book excellent read ,and a cracking article.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2010, 03:55 AM   #32
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nakalenisuka, Russia
Posts: 24,134
vCash: 26665
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
He used to crack walnuts with his buttocks.
Does he have any living relatives who are women?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:10 AM   #33
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,771
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

The best short piece I ever read on Fitzsimmons was written during the white hope era. The article matches former champions vs. the white hopes, and the author feels Fitz would have literally killed them. A great read.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #34
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
The best short piece I ever read on Fitzsimmons was written during the white hope era. The article matches former champions vs. the white hopes, and the author feels Fitz would have literally killed them. A great read.
Many years ago in an OLD ring magazine , I read a quote by an old time heavyweight named Sandy Ferguson...Ferguson drew with Sam Langford in the early 1900s and was one of Bob Fitzimmons sparring partner...He was quoted as saying that Fitz would have kod Langford with body punches..Ferguson felt convinced of that...For what it's worth.!
What old Fitz must have been in his prime, at the age of 25 ? WOW...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #35
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,771
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Many years ago in an OLD ring magazine , I read a quote by an old time heavyweight named Sandy Ferguson...Ferguson drew with Sam Langford in the early 1900s and was one of Bob Fitzimmons sparring partner...He was quoted as saying that Fitz would have kod Langford with body punches..Ferguson felt convinced of that...For what it's worth.!
What old Fitz must have been in his prime, at the age of 25 ? WOW...
There are sharp hitters who surprise with speed. There are thudding hitters that have a lot of power. Fitz was both a sharp and thudding hitter, but what made him different is he also planted his punches through their target with shifts of weight and momentum. Such punchers are rare.

The fact Fitz he had an uncanny knack for landing in the right spot made him extremely dangerous.

As for Fitz's age, many of his fights are missing. Fitz himself claimed he had 300 fights. I think his first recorded stuff is winning a Jim Mace tournament.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #36
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 882
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

I don't understand why modern fans have a hard time understanding how these transitional gloved boxers could hit so hard. they look so 'primitive' on film, that stuff would never work today etc etc etc.

the gloves they used were the same size (or smaller) than the gloves mma fighters wear today. watch enough mma fights and you see things that make you question their chins: knockdowns off jabs, horrible roundhouse swings that level guys, and other light looking punches that seem like they kill people.

take the same concept but make the mma fighter a turn of the century boxer, who all they train is throwing punches, along with the theory and skill to place their punches and it's not so far fetched to believe that a 155 lb man could have the science and strength to ko guys much larger than he.

in all fighting sports, a lot of the person's success comes down to the physical qualities of the fighters. some legends of the ring in boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, judo etc were one in a thousand physical specimens, whose physicality enable them to do things that average men can't explain, let alone duplicate.

I believe from the reports I've seen that bob fitzsimmons was such a man. argue what you want about technique or other things, but when bob fitzsimmons hit men lesser than a james j. jeffries, they folded up like accordions.
amhlilhaus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #37
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
Posts: 10,821
vCash: 1139
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

is he the skinny looking dude who was a blacksmith?
Jorodz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #38
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 11,551
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Where do you folks rank him all-time Lb for Lb? He's a cinch for top-10 in my opinion, maybe as high as number 5.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #39
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,492
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Equal to Ezzard Charles between 5 and 6.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #40
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 20,568
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Where do you folks rank him all-time Lb for Lb? He's a cinch for top-10 in my opinion, maybe as high as number 5.
A verry high pound for pound ranking can be justified.

No fighter since him has established lineage at middleweight, light heavyweight and anything north of 175lbs.

I also think that a case can be made for ranking him among the top 20 heavyweights of all time based on acomplishments relative to his era. There will always be questions about how he would have fared against top heavyweights from later eras due to his size but he basicaly beat everybody except Jeffries.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #41
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 685
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
A verry high pound for pound ranking can be justified.

No fighter since him has established lineage at middleweight, light heavyweight and anything north of 175lbs.

I also think that a case can be made for ranking him among the top 20 heavyweights of all time based on acomplishments relative to his era. There will always be questions about how he would have fared against top heavyweights from later eras due to his size but he basicaly beat everybody except Jeffries.
There was also a time when he was probably the best lightweight in the world! Well, at least, if not the best, he was a never beaten prospect who beat the best in his country!

Also, no fighter has ever won a World Heavyweight title fight while weighing in at the middleweight limit!

Actually, the only other fighter who has ever won a world heavyweight title, while weighing in as a light heavyweight was Tommy Burns! And that was against Marvin Hart, (who was not really the universally accepted world champion) and his defences against Jim Flynn and Jack O Brien, who themselves weighed under the light heavyweight limit! Unbelievably, i have just found another fact which surprises me and raises the efforts of the Great Bob Fitzsimmons. Will it ever end?

I think anyone who has him outside the top 10 lb 4 lb simply has not read much about him or is not considering him, because of lack of film. Realistically, it is very hard to see anyone who has good knowledge of what he did rating him much lower than top 5. Personally, i rank him at no 1.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #42
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
I will not comment on the ability of Bob Fitzimmons...
But there was one man who SAW every heavyweight from John L Sullivan to Joe Louis...He was a famous American poet who wrote the definitive piece on Bob Fitzimmons...The poet was Edgar Lee Masters,1869-1950..He saw every champion until 1949,and was a boxing lover besides a poet...He insisted that Bob Fitzimmons who Masters saw many times would have licked every heavyweight,until 1949...Very convincing...
The article is in a book I have called The Book of Boxing, by W.C. Heinz and Nathan Ward...The Time Of Ruby Robert,article titled pg.228..
What a convincing piece from a boxing expert who saw them ALL..A Fighting Machine On Stilts, Ruby Robert was called...Check it out...b.b.
I strongly ENCOURAGE you to read that piece listed above by Edgar Lee Masters, who saw Fitz ANd all the heavyweights since...
Then you will be better equiped to judge Ruby Bob Fitzimmons...Why guess about Fitz when we have a great eyewitness of this 160 pound boxing marvel!.
Please do yourself a favor and see what Bob Fitzimmons was really like, by a boxing expert who SAW them All !!!...b.b.
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #43
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 20,568
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
I strongly ENCOURAGE you to read that piece listed above by Edgar Lee Masters, who saw Fitz ANd all the heavyweights since...
Then you will be better equiped to judge Ruby Bob Fitzimmons...Why guess about Fitz when we have a great eyewitness of this 160 pound boxing marvel!.
Please do yourself a favor and see what Bob Fitzimmons was really like, by a boxing expert who SAW them All !!!...b.b.
An interesting viewpoint.

We tend to rank Fitzsimmons bellow dominant champions like John L Sullivan and Jack Johnson, but it is not a given that they would have beaten him at his best.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #44
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 36,381
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
where do you folks rank him all-time lb for lb? He's a cinch for top-10 in my opinion, maybe as high as number 5.
6.
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #45
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
There was also a time when he was probably the best lightweight in the world! Well, at least, if not the best, he was a never beaten prospect who beat the best in his country!
I think the best in the world is abit of an exaggeration.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013