Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
clinikill
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Gerry Cooney - the hardest heavyweight puncher ever?

Cooney's one-punch power is extremely underrated, in my opinion. I think he may be the hardest-hitting heavyweight of all time. Some of his highlights include:

- Stopping Leroy Boone with a left hook to the liver. Boone went the distance with Earnie Shavers a couple months later.
- Knocking out Ron Lyle with a left hook to the midsection. This same hook also broke Lyle's ribs.
- Demolishing Norton in a more convincing fashion than Earnie Shavers.

Joe Bugner sparred with Cooney and said in a newspaper interview that Gerry's left was more powerful than Frazier's.

What do y'all think?

Last edited by clinikill; 02-25-2014 at 02:18 PM.
clinikill is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gerry Cooney - the hardest puncher ever?

A hard puncher all right but not the hardest..do you mean p4p?
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Lynn "The Bullet" Ball had gotten to Lyle before Cooney did. "The Bullet" wasn't a good fighter at all, in fact he was rather terrible. Lyle had just declined a lot by then, most forget that he was pushing 40 years of age.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Foreman said Lyle. Young said Shavers. Lyle said Shavers. Norton said Shavers. (Holmes admitted after their match that Cooney was never able to connect solidly enough for him to make an honest assessment of Gerry's true power.)

Gerry landed some solid hooks to Young's body, and Jimmy responded by coming forward. Young was decked by the hook of Shavers, and it was a hook Foreman used to seriously stun Jimmy. (His hook also rang Chuvalo's bell. Like Shavers, Foreman was a huge puncher with both hands.) At no time did Cooney's power hurt him like this.

I think a case could be made that Cooney was a harder hooker than Morrison. Gerry clearly affected Foreman more with a single short inside hook than Tommy was able to do with 12 rounds of bombs. Yes, he was a great puncher, but there's nothing to suggest he was the hardest of them all.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
clark
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I recall reading that Norton said Foreman. Maybe it depends on who he is thinking about. Yes, Lyle was finished by the time Cooney fought him.
Cooney hit hard, but not the hardest.
clark is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
clinikill
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Foreman said Lyle. Young said Shavers. Lyle said Shavers. Norton said Shavers. (Holmes admitted after their match that Cooney was never able to connect solidly enough for him to make an honest assessment of Gerry's true power.)
Foreman has said in the past that Cooney was the hardest puncher he had ever faced. ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ])

Ron Lyle has too, according to Boxrec ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]).

Last edited by clinikill; 10-04-2012 at 10:50 PM.
clinikill is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinikill View Post
Foreman [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] that Cooney was the hardest puncher he had ever faced.

Ron Lyle has too, according to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
Lyle has named Shavers on camera, and when pressed and forced to chose among the heavy hitters he's faced, Foreman seems to settle on Lyle.

The fact is that Ron was indeed the only opponent to drop George with his power alone. It's also a fact that Young was not floored by Gerry as he was by Shavers, nor was Jimmy staggered by Cooney as he was by Foreman. These are not subjective opinions. Young did not appear to be in any way troubled by Gerry's power.

Gerry does not enjoy the overwhelming opponent consensus on the supremacy of his power that Shavers carries. I do think the evidence Gerry's hook was harder than Morrison's is concrete, based on Foreman's reactions to getting hit by both.

Denis was officially floored for the first time by Cooney, but he dropped immediately after a round ending bell in a delayed reaction from the effects of Foreman's power. As has been noted, Lynn Ball got to Lyle first, diluting Gerry's achievement in starching Ron.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
spion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Foreman [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] that Cooney was the hardest puncher he had ever faced.

Ron Lyle has too, according to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
I heard George say that also. I asked Larry Holmes about it and he said (as mentioned above) he didn't tag me flush but he did get Larry with a particular body shot near the end of one round and Holmes said he used the ropes to help him back to the corner. Said Gerry's jab was underestimated too.

I used to watch Cooney train in Palm Springs when I was a kid. He was a super nice guy. I remember Victor Valle shouting "take it easy Gerry, take it easy on these guys". Several of his sparring partners had to leave the ring after getting tagged. He looked like (had he been able to weather the mental storm of losing to Holmes) he could have at some point won a title.
spion is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

no, not the hardest but a very hard puncher. Lyle was shot by the time cooney got to him.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Very Hard Puncher with that left hook. Such a shame he never took on Thomas, Spoon, page, coetzee, tate, weaver, dokes, tubbs...would have given us a much better impression just how good he was.
SuzieQ49 is online now  Top
Old 05-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
Very Hard Puncher with that left hook. Such a shame he never took on Thomas, Spoon, page, coetzee, tate, weaver, dokes, tubbs...would have given us a much better impression just how good he was.
yeah, that holmes fight took a lot out of him, he needed to fight a lesser fighter then holmes and get some more exp, it didn't look like he was very schooled.
I think cooney had potential but he threw it away whn he fought holmes.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Cooney should have rematched big Sam McGill and Eddie Lopez in ten rounders as soon as possible after they extended Gerry the eight round distance. They met the criteria for being safe, as Cooney had already defeated them, and the experience of winning over the ten round distance would have given him badly needed confidence that he could go longer with Holmes. He also should have gone after Leroy Jones and his never defended NABF Title in 1979. Jones wasn't likely to hurt him, and may have extended him the 12 round limit, which could have been huge when dealing with Larry.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #13
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Top notch power
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2010, 03:19 AM   #14
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

True i heard Foreman say the same thing. Another one who was amazed at Cooneys power was Quarry. An old friend of mine who was also a gym owner and friend of Quarrys said that when JQ was contemplating a comeback in the early 80s he sparred with Cooney and said he had never been hit like that before said Cooneys hit incredibly hard.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
Rico Spadafora
Best Chin On ESB
East Side VIP

vCash: 1158

two things I noticed:

Cooney nailed Lyle with a flush left hook before the barrage of punches and the stoppage and Lyle took it fine.

Cooney had no right hand. None. Always trying to hook with the left. It is a shame he was not developed better by a proper trainer. He had potential but it was never realized.
Rico Spadafora is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum