Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #61
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 576
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
most articles at the time speak favorably of his chances.
Examples?
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2010, 12:13 AM   #62
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,535
vCash: 258
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
Examples?

From the horses mouth.


"Lewis, who took $1m (600,000) and a Range Rover from the promoter [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to give up the IBF title, said from ringside that Byrd "did a great job, he showed his heart." He added he would be "absolutely" willing to fight Byrd now and that before he had not thought "the world would be interested" in what he saw as a mismatch."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]




In that case, it does not make much financial sense to risk that payday against Byrd, whose boxing skills can make anyone look bad.

Aside from that, "he'll put you to sleep, he's so boring," said Bert Sugar, a noted boxing historian and analyst.

"People want to see heavyweights because they knock people out. Byrd does not knock people out. And he's not a recognizable name.

"Slickness works in the lighter weight classes," Sugar said on Sunday.

"But we're in an era now when we have to have everything with a 'Bam!' at the end of it. Byrd is a technician, he'll pitty-pat the hell out of you."

Another reason Byrd will be avoided is that he is left-handed, which makes many fighters uncomfortable because they rarely fight southpaws.[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



Perhaps Lewis already was aware of what Holyfield must have realized during the fight — that despite Byrd's size (only 214 pounds) and lack of punching power, he is a nightmare for anyone who faces him.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


Article rips Lewis/Tyson and treatment of Byrd. Predicts Lewis will never fight him even after Tyson.....hmmmm

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



Sympathy articles on Byrd being avoided because he makes fighters look bad.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


And I'm sure there's more if you want to look further.

Last edited by The Mongoose; 05-29-2010 at 03:56 AM.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:36 AM   #63
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,535
vCash: 258
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanNo1 View Post
The fact remains Byrd was the IBF champion when HBO dropped him thus backing my argument HBO knew all along he wasn't a draw and they weren't going to make money off the guy.
.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


Clearly, Lewis was offered more money to face the K Brothers and Tyson instead of Byrd. Again, this is a case of low risk/high reward...not HBO pulling the strings and preventing Lewis/Byrd. Just stop, its clear that for whatever reason you chose to believe Lewis just didn't want to fight the mother****er, there was no politics involved.

As evident by the fact they still promoted his fights, HBO was still willing to support Byrd until after his legal trouble with King left him inactive for a year and fighting no hoper Williamson in 2005. Byrd hoped to face Toney on Showtime but the fight didn't happen as always. OF course when Byrd came back to HBO to fight Wlad cuase noone else wanted a piece of him, he didn't have any bargaining chips.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:53 AM   #64
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,935
vCash: 2650
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


Clearly, Lewis was offered more money to face the K Brothers and Tyson instead of Byrd. Again, this is a case of low risk/high reward...not HBO pulling the strings and preventing Lewis/Byrd. Just stop, its clear that for whatever reason you chose to believe Lewis just didn't want to fight the mother****er, there was no politics involved.

As evident by the fact they still promoted his fights, HBO was still willing to support Byrd until after his legal trouble with King left him inactive for a year and fighting no hoper Williamson in 2005. Byrd hoped to face Toney on Showtime but the fight didn't happen as always. OF course when Byrd came back to HBO to fight Wlad cuase noone else wanted a piece of him, he didn't have any bargaining chips.
WTF?? This is laughable.

Your own source you just provided clearly states:

"HBO, apparently, did not see the Byrd bout as a big enough attraction, Lewis describing the prospect of meeting the American as 'not attractive enough'."

Again this line:

An informed source in the US claims that promoter Don King has paid Lewis pounds 650,000 to give up the IBF title to clear the way so that he can stage a series of heavyweight bouts.

Two things:

You dismissed my newspaper material sighting HBO as fact and Lewis's own mouth about HBO not being interested and in return you give me "Word Is" and "An informed source". Lewis isn't good enough but a phantom is??
Hypocrytical rubbish my man.

Another question - Why would Don King pay 650,000 to a man the IBF were going to strip anyway??

It makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by BoxingFanNo1; 05-29-2010 at 02:06 AM.
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #65
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,935
vCash: 2650
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
"Over the weekend the IBF denied the appeal of No. 1 heavyweight contender Chris Byrd"

"Byrd's whole life has been put in limbo because the IBF wants to ignore its own rules and hide behind the WBC, which has violated its own rules to make Tyson the No. 1 contender and then grant extensions so Tyson can fight Lewis on June 8."

Again your own material doesn't back your argument.

You said Lewis was the one ducking and as of yet all I've seen is THE IBF and HBO being the ones not interested.
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:22 AM   #66
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,535
vCash: 258
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanNo1 View Post
WTF?? This is laughable.

Your own source you just provided clearly states:

"HBO, apparently, did not see the Byrd bout as a big enough attraction, Lewis describing the prospect of meeting the American as 'not attractive enough'."

Again this line:

An informed source in the US claims that promoter Don King has paid Lewis pounds 650,000 to give up the IBF title to clear the way so that he can stage a series of heavyweight bouts.

Two things:

You dismissed my newspaper material sighting HBO as fact and Lewis's own mouth about HBO not being interested and in return you give me "Word Is" and "An informed source". Lewis isn't good enough but a phantom is??
Hypocrytical rubbish my man.

Another question - Why would Don King pay 650,000 to a man the IBF were going to strip anyway??

It makes no sense whatsoever.


-You seem to be suggesting that HBO prevented Lewis from fighting Byrd. All I did was clarify that he was offered more money to fight K Brothers and rematch Tyson..something I have been maintaining since the beginning of this thread.

-Lewis did in fact accept 1 million dollars and a Land Rover from King. This is even mentioned in the Independent Article I linked to as well.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:39 AM   #67
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,935
vCash: 2650
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post

-You seem to be suggesting that HBO prevented Lewis from fighting Byrd. All I did was clarify that he was offered more money to fight K Brothers and rematch Tyson..something I have been maintaing since the beginning of this thread.

-Lewis did in fact accept 1 million dollars and a Land Rover from King. This is even mentioned in the Independent Article I linked to as well.
Your dislike of Lewis is starting to wear on me.

It was HBO and the IBF as provided by your own articles who weren't interested, yet you keep throwing out the same old 'Lewis ducked Byrd', it's getting boring.

I'll ask again, why would King pay Lewis $1 million and a Land Rover (the only evidence being 'a source') for a title he was going to be stripped of anyway??

What you seem to forget is the WBC ordered Lewis to defend against his mandatory, Tyson. The WBC had always been loyal to Lewis and vice-versa. I suppose Lewis should have just told them to piss off and hung onto his IBF title eh?

"The World Boxing Council ordered this mandatory fight, which will be sanctioned by our organization in any city or country where it is held."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Keep the hate coming mongoose, I've got another few articles linned up and ready.
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:40 AM   #68
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,535
vCash: 258
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanNo1 View Post
"Over the weekend the IBF denied the appeal of No. 1 heavyweight contender Chris Byrd"

"Byrd's whole life has been put in limbo because the IBF wants to ignore its own rules and hide behind the WBC, which has violated its own rules to make Tyson the No. 1 contender and then grant extensions so Tyson can fight Lewis on June 8."

Again your own material doesn't back your argument.

You said Lewis was the one ducking and as of yet all I've seen is THE IBF and HBO being the ones not interested.

-Of course Lewis has no say in who he fights....

-In regards to the article. Byrd was the long time rightful mandatory but Lewis was given special permission to fight Tyson first. It wasn't fair but its all about the dollars. Of course Lennox sold the title when he realized the IBF would follow through on their promise to strip him if he didn't defend against Byrd that summer.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:44 AM   #69
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,535
vCash: 258
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanNo1 View Post
Your dislike of Lewis is starting to wear on me.

It was HBO and the IBF as provided by your own articles who weren't interested, yet you keep throwing out the same old 'Lewis ducked Byrd', it's getting boring.

I'll ask again, why would King pay Lewis $1 million and a Land Rover (the only evidence being 'a source') for a title he was going to be stripped of anyway??

What you seem to forget is the WBC ordered Lewis to defend against his mandatory, Tyson. The WBC had always been loyal to Lewis and vice-versa. I suppose Lewis should have just told them to piss off and hung onto his IBF title eh?

"The World Boxing Council ordered this mandatory fight, which will be sanctioned by our organization in any city or country where it is held."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Keep the hate coming mongoose, I've got another few articles linned up and ready.
FROM THE WRITERS ON THIS VERY SITE:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

As Lewis appears to have sold his soul to the Devil (Don King) as well as his IBF title for a million and a range rover, Lewis said he passed on fighting Byrd because he “Doesn’t think the public wants to see it.” No point in asking the public themselves. Fans want to see exciting fights. Fights where anything can happen. Right now, Lewis may only have one or two good fights left in him. Who he spends them on will be the difference between his career going out with a whimper or a bang.
More than seeing Lewis fight Byrd; I’d rather see him fight either of the Klitschko brothers. But I can see Byrd giving Lewis a hard time with his cagey style. A hard time is something Lewis has no interest in, especially for the relatively small purse a Chris Byrd fight would muster. In Boxing, like many other [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] these days, it’s more about money than pride, integrity or anything else.




[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

A world heavyweight championship is said to be the most coveted prize in all sport. In the case of the International Boxing Federation title Chris Byrd won by soundly outpointing the venerable Evander Holyfield, we know exactly how much it is worth: one million dollars and a Range Rover.

That was the modest tribute exacted by Lennox Lewis from the promoter Don King in exchange for giving up the IBF belt. The donor of this largesse was at ringside at Boardwalk Hall on Saturday in his role as analyst for King's international telecast, and watched Byrd enact an impersonation of The Invisible Man.

Byrd was matador to Holyfield's bull but, though thoroughly frustrated by the new champion's will-o'-the-wisp tactics, the 40-year-old Holyfield said he was not yet ready to be put out to pasture.

History will recall Holyfield, four times the heavyweight champion, as one of the most courageous men to ply his brutal trade, but each of his five previous losses, to say nothing of two draws with Lewis and the WBA champion John Ruiz, was accompanied by a litany of excuses and this latest setback was no exception.

Holyfield claimed immediately to have injured his left arm. Half an hour later the malady had become even more severe: a torn rotator cuff in his left shoulder.

"I'm not saying that Evander wasn't [injured] but I certainly saw no evidence during the fight," said Lewis's trainer Emanuel Steward. "It was more a matter of Chris Byrd thoroughly outboxing him." The ringside judges scored it 117-111 twice and 116-112 for Byrd.

Persuading Lewis to vacate the IBF title was the first step in what King is billing as a Heavyweight Championship Series. Ostensibly Byrd will meet the World Boxing Association champion - the survivor of Ruiz's defence against the undisputed light-heavyweight champion Roy Jones Jr on March 1. The winner may eventually meet Lewis.

"I'll preside by watching over the tournament," said Lewis. "That's what emperors do. If somebody really shines, well, I'll have to see what's going on. I do believe in fighting the best. Don't give me no small fries. I want the man at the top."

But when asked if that meant he would commit to fighting the winner of King's tournament, Lewis smiled: "Perhaps."

Lewis has been pointed toward an early 2003 defence against Vitali Klitschko but said on Saturday that he had yet to sign, and that if it does happen, it will not be in March, as his London connections had announced previously.

When it was pointed out that not only is Lewis not contractually committed to the idea of a tournament but neither were Byrd, Ruiz or Jones, King had a quick retort. "They're not signed to fight," he said. "But believe me, they will fight."


Guardian News & Media 2008
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:48 AM   #70
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,935
vCash: 2650
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
FROM THE WRITERS ON THIS VERY SITE:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

As Lewis appears to have sold his soul to the Devil (Don King) as well as his IBF title for a million and a range rover, Lewis said he passed on fighting Byrd because he “Doesn’t think the public wants to see it.” No point in asking the public themselves. Fans want to see exciting fights. Fights where anything can happen. Right now, Lewis may only have one or two good fights left in him. Who he spends them on will be the difference between his career going out with a whimper or a bang.
More than seeing Lewis fight Byrd; I’d rather see him fight either of the Klitschko brothers. But I can see Byrd giving Lewis a hard time with his cagey style. A hard time is something Lewis has no interest in, especially for the relatively small purse a Chris Byrd fight would muster. In Boxing, like many other [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] these days, it’s more about money than pride, integrity or anything else.
Again conjecture, the mystery man, an inside source, the man in the shadows, a ghost.

I'm not interested, I want a name, not something that was probably leaked by King himself. And again all that article does is feed off the article in which Lewis himself says that HBO weren't interested. It just convieniently leaves out the HBO part.

I'll keep asking till you answer:

Why would King pay Lewis $1 million and a Land Rover for a title he was going to be stripped of anyway?
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:04 AM   #71
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,535
vCash: 258
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanNo1 View Post
Again conjecture, the mystery man, an inside source, the man in the shadows, a ghost.

I'm not interested, I want a name, not something that was probably leaked by King himself. And again all that article does is feed off the article in which Lewis himself says that HBO weren't interested. It just convieniently leaves out the HBO part.

I'll keep asking till you answer:

Why would King pay Lewis $1 million and a Land Rover for a title he was going to be stripped of anyway?


Because there was no guarentee of anything:

There still is no clause in the contract between Lewis and Tyson that will compel the winner to fight Byrd. But they are supposed to make a fight with Byrd by August or risk being stripped. If that happens, Byrd then will face the winner of the June 1 fight between Evander Holyfield and Rahman by Dec. 8 for the championship.
If Lewis beats Tyson, there's a good chance that he'll retire and relinquish the crown. If Tyson wins, Lewis will want an immediate rematch. Byrd could still be on the IBF fence.
In an odd twist, Byrd could be removed as No. 1 contender if he doesn't fight an IBF-approved opponent by Aug. 18.
It's easy to say that's boxing. But this is just wrong


BTW, I am a Lennox Lewis fan for the most part. I think he was the best and most consistent heavyweight of the 90s, he was very underrated than but there are some dark corners that seem to be glossed over with his recent acceptance.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:06 AM   #72
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,935
vCash: 2650
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

So far all I've gathered is HBO didn't want the fight, the IBF didn't want the fight, and if we're to believe your source (which I don't) King himself didn't want it paying step aside money.

So how is Lewis to blame for all this exactly?
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:10 AM   #73
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,935
vCash: 2650
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
BTW, I am a Lennox Lewis fan for the most part. I think he was the best and most consistent heavyweight of the 90s, he was very underrated than but there are some dark corners that seem to be glossed over with his recent acceptance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
These are all valid points but this is a stubborn lot when it comes to Lennox Lewis for some reason. I'm not a huge fan of his title reign
Of course you are mongoose, of course you are.
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:47 AM   #74
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,535
vCash: 258
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanNo1 View Post
So far all I've gathered is HBO didn't want the fight, the IBF didn't want the fight, and if we're to believe your source (which I don't) King himself didn't want it paying step aside money.

So how is Lewis to blame for all this exactly?

Because nobody was stopping Lewis from fighting Byrd and the decision was ultimately his maybe?

From ESPN

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


The decision by Lewis came just as the IBF was to take purse bids Thursday from promoters for a fight against Byrd, a crafty left-hander who tends to frustrate his opponents and make them look bad.
In a statement Thursday, Lewis, who for a brief time held all three major heavyweight titles, said the champion was more important than the title.
"Prior to today, my team and I had already determined that there was no public interest in a Lennox Lewis-Chris Byrd bout,'' he said. "My decision was also based upon the fact that I believe, as I have said repeatedly, that Chris Byrd offers no competitive challenge to me.''
HBO had set aside Dec. 7 as the date for a possible Lewis fight, but a network executive said earlier this week that the heavyweight champion would have to quickly agree to an opponent for the fight to happen on that date.



[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

After he knocked out Mike Tyson last June, Lewis declared himself unimpressed with the credentials of Byrd, the No. 1 contender, and summarily surrendered the IBF championship. Lewis was convinced by King, and the promoters' $1 million payoff, that it was the right thing to do.

Armed with a vacant championship, King moved Thursday to solve that dilemma by matching Holyfield and Byrd for the IBF title on Dec. 14 in Atlantic City. The second part of his heavyweight perfecta is set for March 1 in Las Vegas when Jones will fight Ruiz.

King rented the Grand Ballroom at the Plaza Hotel for the announcement, giving notice that this was a big deal. He happily confirmed the token of appreciation that he paid Lewis.

''A brilliant move by the emperor,'' the promoter said of the transaction. ''I gave him $1 million. They thought I was a complete idiot, and maybe I am. I couldn't have this unless I gave him the rainbow. He endorsed the series and made it more provocative. Maybe he'll give one of them permission to challenge him. He is in a world all his own.''

Lewis, who's scheduled to work as a commentator on the HBO telecasts, was making no promises.

''I'll tell you after I see them box,'' he said.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #75
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What do you think is the real reason that Lewis never fought a southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanNo1 View Post
The fact remains Byrd was the IBF champion when HBO dropped him thus backing my argument HBO knew all along he wasn't a draw and they weren't going to make money off the guy.

You're pointing out nothing new, my previous statement already covered what Lewis said, it's just yours doesn't mention HBO when the material I've provided shows HBO didn't view Byrd highly at all and were proved right.
Dropping Byrd had nothing to with a Lennox Lewis fight. Lewis had plenty of shitty fights on HBO against the likes of Zeljko Mavrovic and Frans Botha. What makes you think HBO wouldnt televise a Byrd Lewis fight if it was his mandatory? Of course they would have. Byrd was showcased on many HBO telecasts against far worse draws.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013