Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Vitali's Career Defining Moment?
Quitting vs Byrd 17 9.50%
Being stopped in his prime by a fat shot Lennox Lewis 162 90.50%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #16
FORMIDABLE
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 275
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko's career defining moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish View Post
Lewis was shot, passed his best and he knew it so he retired and the fact is Vitali STILL COULDN'T BEAT HIM.

He didn't deserve a rematch, he couldn't be an old out of shape half trained Lewis, Lennox was like who is this big bum, i don't even need to train to bust this fool up, go get me a Big mac.
He was beating him 4 rounds to 2 on all of the judges' cards. The cut, caused by a thumb to the eye, cost him the fight. He definately deserved a rematch. Lewis sat on his title another 8 months after the fight. It's not like he retired immediately. He could have got into shape for a rematch if he thought he could kick Vitali's ass. But he didn't want no more and quit once Vitali was ready to fight again.
FORMIDABLE is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #17
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Quote:
Originally Posted by madballster View Post
What's Lewis career defining moment?

Beating a shot Tyson while hugging him 90 times? Rematching a drug addicted McCall? Or maybe it was the 24 rounds of bore and hugfest against a steroid abusing ex-cruiserweight Holyfield?

The more I think about it the more it becomes obvious that beating Vitali was Lewis' most exciting fight and his best altogether win. Never has Lewis beaten a man who after losing to Lewis went on to be a universally recognized belt holder. Never has Lewis shown more will, heart and determination in a fight.
Big Vitali fan, are ya?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #18
VecArrow
Custom User Title
ESB Addict

vCash: 137

Quote:

Beating a shot Tyson while hugging him 90 times? Rematching a drug addicted McCall where Lennox couldn't knock down a guy who stood in front of him with no guard? Or maybe it was the 24 rounds of bore and hugfest against a steroid abusing ex-cruiserweight Holyfield?

The more I think about it the more it becomes obvious that beating Vitali was Lewis' most exciting fight and his best altogether win. Never has Lewis beaten a man who after losing to Lewis went on to be a universally recognized belt holder. Never has Lewis shown more will, heart and determination in a fight.
Maybe because Lewis had all the belts?
VecArrow is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #19
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Quote:

Beating a shot Tyson while hugging him 90 times? Rematching a drug addicted McCall where Lennox couldn't knock down a guy who stood in front of him with no guard? Or maybe it was the 24 rounds of bore and hugfest against a steroid abusing ex-cruiserweight Holyfield?

TommyV is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
Sheikh
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Lewis would have made 20 million ina rematch with Vitali. Why did he retire? was he scared of losing the rematch?
Sheikh is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #21
the_brigand
I'll Eat Her Later...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish View Post
Lewis was shot, passed his best and he knew it so he retired and the fact is Vitali STILL COULDN'T BEAT HIM.

He didn't deserve a rematch, he couldn't be an old out of shape half trained Lewis, Lennox was like who is this big bum, i don't even need to train to bust this fool up, go get me a Big mac.
this is the guy that Haye is afraid of fighting....
the_brigand is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #22
RonnieHornschuh
ESB indie police
ESB Addict

vCash: 1399

It's interesting how in some people's minds Lewis, coming from one of his biggest career wins over Tyson in 2002, suddenly became shot only one year and one fight later. Go and look at the weigh-in pictures and tell me Lennox was out of shape.
RonnieHornschuh is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #23
NoHomeJerome
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieHornschuh View Post
It's interesting how in some people's minds Lewis, coming from one of his biggest career wins over Tyson in 2002, suddenly became shot only one year and one fight later. Go and look at the weigh-in pictures and tell me Lennox was out of shape.
Lewis weighed in at a career high 256. Shot may be the wrong word I apologize, heavily faded may be more of a better description. Definitely no where near prime though.
NoHomeJerome is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #24
fabo1988
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieHornschuh View Post
Are you really suprised? Two words, mayweather/mosley
fabo1988 is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #25
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
You're one of the better historians here on the forum. Could you point out one opponent of Lennox who, after losing to Lewis, went on to enhance his own resume and legacy rather than continue his decline or implode altogether? Go through them one by one.

Botha, Grant, Golotha, Holyfield, Tyson, McCall, Rahman, Mavrovich etc. What have these guys done after losing to Lewis? Nothing.

I'm not taking anything away here from Lewis, I just feel he doesn't get enough credit for his win against Vitali, his only opponent that was on an upward trajectory in his career rather than on a decline like the rest.
madballster is online now  Top
Old 06-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #26
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

Quote:
You're one of the better historians here on the forum. Could you point out one opponent of Lennox who, after losing to Lewis, went on to enhance his own resume and legacy rather than continue his decline or implode altogether? Go through them one by one.

Botha, Grant, Golotha, Holyfield, Tyson, McCall, Rahman, Mavrovich etc. What have these guys done after losing to Lewis? Nothing.

I'm not taking anything away here from Lewis, I just feel he doesn't get enough credit for his win against Vitali, his only opponent that was on an upward trajectory in his career rather than on a decline like the rest.
Holyfield went on to win the WBA belt against John Ruiz, then challenge for a world title FIVE more times, earning a draw with Ruiz in one of them, a defeat to Byrd, a defeat to Ibragimov and a very contested loss to Sugar Nikolay Valuev.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #27
realsoulja
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 587

shooked up lennox
realsoulja is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #28
slo100
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 200

"out of shape lewis" I love it.... He was only 3 pounds heavier than his first fight with Hasim Rahman, when you are a 6'5" heavyweight taking a shit, a piss, missing a meal and not having a drink can mean the difference between 3 pounds.
slo100 is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #29
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo100 View Post
"out of shape lewis" I love it.... He was only 3 pounds heavier than his first fight with Hasim Rahman, when you are a 6'5" heavyweight taking a shit, a piss, missing a meal and not having a drink can mean the difference between 3 pounds.
...Because he was in tremendous fitness for that first Rahman fight, which is why he won it...on his back...
Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #30
NoHomeJerome
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo100 View Post

And he got laid out. Thanks for proving my point.
NoHomeJerome is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum