BUDW is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2010, 01:59 AM   #32
kolcade4
Keep Punchin'
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime: Muhammad Ali .Vs. Larry Holmes

Prime Holmes vs Cooney looked good .Ali was pretty adaptive to whatever he came against .I say this is a battle that must be decided in a trilogy because I feel they will split a fight a piece and the last is the rubbermatch.
kolcade4 is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2010, 02:13 AM   #33
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Holmes was Ali with more power who compensated for his lack of agility with prounounced fluidity. Holmes UD.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #34
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmers612 View Post
Lost in the one sided bout between Ali and Holmes was that Larry never punched when Ali moved, as slow as that was by Ali. In every round that Ali managed to move Larry methodically followed and did nothing until Ali stopped, then Larry would set up and let his punches go. Having viewed this a number of times this was the case without exception, there is simply no way a younger and much faster moving Ali who punched as he moved would not have taken advantage of this from Larry, and won many rounds because of it, I think clearly enough for the win.
Don't forget about the reach advantage for Holmes. A reach advantage is usually decisive when two jabbers of the same caliber step into the ring. Same thing as when two evenly matched swarmers match up and one has a pronounced strength/conditioning advantage.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #35
Ted Stickles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ali hands down he was to fast and to elusive in his prime, and he could punch more because his hands were better ...
Ted Stickles is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #36
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

I would edge towards Ali, but I think the way in which Ali struggled in jabbing-matches with Norton and Doug Jones gives food for thought. I know Ali was either side of his prime in both matches, but I don't think he was detatched enough from his prime for it be dismissed completely.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #37
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by la-califa View Post
Who would win this clash of Heavyweight Champions? Simular style, great boxers with superb jabs. 15 rounds
Holmes vis close UD. Ali had trouble with good jabbers at almost all stages of his career.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #38
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
Don't forget about the reach advantage for Holmes. A reach advantage is usually decisive when two jabbers of the same caliber step into the ring. Same thing as when two evenly matched swarmers match up and one has a pronounced strength/conditioning advantage.
Good point, but Holmes showed several times in his career, and to me pronounced in his bout with Ali that he didn't punch at moving targets and waited until they were stationary to set up and throw. Eddie may have helped here or maybe not. Bennie Briscoe had a similar shortcoming in that despite trainers trying to teach him to punch when he slipped punches he never could adapt to this, and Larry just followed a very slowly moving Ali in their bout without the makeup to punch until he stopped. The Ali of the 1st Chuvalo bout for instance would have won many rounds just by moving and jabbing over the not throwing much Holmes. Its a case of Ali's main strength here against a shortcoming of Larry's.
timmers612 is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #39
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Larry is getting too much credit in this thread. Are you people serious with the "Holmes UD" predictions? Come on. Holmes himself was taken to some very close controversial decisions to far less fighters, than Ali. He even avoided fighting a Ali clone in Greg Page.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #40
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
I would edge towards Ali, but I think the way in which Ali struggled in jabbing-matches with Norton and Doug Jones gives food for thought. I know Ali was either side of his prime in both matches, but I don't think he was detatched enough from his prime for it be dismissed completely.
I get your drift,but Norton and Jones were different types of fighters than Holmes. Norton especially was more aggressive than Larry.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #41
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
Larry is getting too much credit in this thread. Are you people serious with the "Holmes UD" predictions? Come on. Holmes himself was taken to some very close controversial decisions to far less fighters, than Ali. He even avoided fighting a Ali clone in Greg Page.
Holmes did have some close fights in his prime against fighters who weren't even close to Ali's skill level but should we simply forget Ali's fights with Mildenberger, Chuvalo, Terrel and Bonavena? All of these fights were fairly competitive and neither of these guys could hold Larry Holmes jockstrap...
Old 06-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #42
Fighting Weight
Champion
East Side Guru

Have to bet the house on Ali in this one....and when the fight was over I'd have 2 houses

No way prime Ali loses to prime Holmes, the reflexes, footwork and all round speed would kill any HW that ever fought and Holmes is no exception although he'd make it more competitive than most. 10-5 Ali in a UD.
Fighting Weight is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #43
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Mendoza, you know nowt about ali. good jabbers. bs. ali used movement to combat that. look at the terrell fight or any peak 60s fight. norton had no chance against the moving ali - watch fight 2 - first 5 rounds. the only time ali was in top shape for a norton fight.
groove is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #44
Fighting Weight
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Mendoza, you know nowt about ali. good jabbers. bs. ali used movement to combat that. look at the terrell fight or any peak 60s fight. norton had no chance against the moving ali - watch fight 2 - first 5 rounds. the only time ali was in top shape for a norton fight.
He'll ignore you on that point - mainly because Ali defeated no end of top 5 challengers in his time but held a vastly inferior rounds won to rounds boxed ratio to VITLAY - who only fights bums
Fighting Weight is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #45
JoeLaTurkey
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Awful fight; both men trying to be the slick, defensive-minded counterpuncher, both men reluctant to engage.

I think Ali's superior resoursefulness and adaptability gets him the decision here.
JoeLaTurkey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum