Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
guru059
TV Packager
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 1687
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPayne View Post
Always liked David Tua and he provided some fun and vigour to the 1990's. But how can his fight with gatekeeper Monte Barrett be PPV, how is this justified.

I thought PPV was a symbol of signficance not mediocrity. Is this the only way to finance fights these days?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
It would be a good FNF main event here in the states. If Tuesday Night Fights were still on USA Network, this fight would be a perfect main event bout. However there just aren't many TV dates out there, and even if ESPN were to send out feelers, it would not be in their budget because the asking price would probably be too high. This is why there are so many independent PPV events and webcasts.
guru059 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #17
dubLshot
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 181
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

don't buy the shwag, hold out for the chronic
dubLshot is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 121,563
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

You guys realize that these low-level PPVs are generally only like $19.95, right? $14.95 in some cases.

Hell, people pay twice that much for two hours of "Busty Librarians XI" instead of simply Googling their porn, or three times that much for professional ****ing wrestling.

Tua fans dropping a Jackson on watching Tua knock somebody out are not the suckers of the Pay Per View world. Not by a long shot.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #19
kirk
C1
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ill swallow my Blood before i swallow my Pride
Posts: 25,150
vCash: 1001
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

A lot of people misunderstand these low level PPV's... take for instance

Fernando Vargas vs Ricardo Mayorga

Nobody thought that it should have been on ppv, and they didnt put it on there because it was some 'special' fight....

They did it because HBO and Showtime passed on the fight, and couldnt get a TV spot for it that they felt it ******ted, (meaning, they werent gonna put it on Friday Night Fights or something to that effect) and Vargas is a headliner so it wasnt going to be an undercard fight.... hence they were in a bind.

So, they put it on PPV,


Thats how and why most of these type fights are ppv's, not because its a huge attraction, but its because it couldnt attain a TV spot be it HBO or Showtime and so the next best thing for these type fights from their standpoint is to put it on PPV.

Has nothing to do with it being a 'PPV worthy' type fight or not most of the time.
kirk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #20
lzolnier
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,593
vCash: 75
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPayne View Post
Always liked David Tua and he provided some fun and vigour to the 1990's. But how can his fight with gatekeeper Monte Barrett be PPV, how is this justified.

I thought PPV was a symbol of signficance not mediocrity. Is this the only way to finance fights these days?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

It has all to do with a business model. Since this fight is weak as you say, HBO and Sho will not pick it up. Thefefore, why not put together a cheapo production and charge some money. I think promotors figure that this route is more profitable than trying to put it on FNF etc.
lzolnier is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #21
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 121,563
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
A lot of people misunderstand these low level PPV's... take for instance

Fernando Vargas vs Ricardo Mayorga

Nobody thought that it should have been on ppv, and they didnt put it on there because it was some 'special' fight....

They did it because HBO and Showtime passed on the fight, and couldnt get a TV spot for it that they felt it ******ted, (meaning, they werent gonna put it on Friday Night Fights or something to that effect) and Vargas is a headliner so it wasnt going to be an undercard fight.... hence they were in a bind.

So, they put it on PPV,


Thats how and why most of these type fights are ppv's, not because its a huge attraction, but its because it couldnt attain a TV spot be it HBO or Showtime and so the next best thing for these type fights from their standpoint is to put it on PPV.

Has nothing to do with it being a 'PPV worthy' type fight or not most of the time.
Exactly.

And like I said, most of the time those putting it on know better than to fleece the fans, and keep the pricepoint nice and low (at least compared to the major PPV powers like HBO, and the UFC).
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Badlefthook.com
Posts: 11,159
vCash: 75
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

PPV has nothing to do with significance. It wasn't a good enough fight for TV networks to pick it up, and the promoters think they can sell enough that the PPV won't lose money. Simple as that.

What would you rather, no TV at all?
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #23
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: the DIRTY SOUTH
Posts: 24,390
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhaus View Post
PPV has nothing to do with significance. It wasn't a good enough fight for TV networks to pick it up, and the promoters think they can sell enough that the PPV won't lose money. Simple as that.

What would you rather, no TV at all?


i used to think the same thing....tyson-spinks was PPV...now tua-barrett?
youre right,,,,,times have changed...and moast ppv now means no other network would air it...and this is your only option if you want to watch it....so its not a bad thing if they keep it under $20
iceman71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #24
diehard
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 624
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

You guys are lucky you're not having to pay double to watch one of the greatest left hook artists in history KO a former contender.

Anyone know who's on the undercard?
diehard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #25
derrick
6ft4 215 bring it on
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: West Palm beach in my log truck
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 533
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

Boxing is dead in the USA. My cousin was going to box but has decided to train in mma insted. Our young people prefer MMA. Boxing is dead and its there own fault. Putting on shitty PPV cards. Making you pay 50 dollars for one damn fight with shitty pre fights. Boxing is going to keep dying in the usa. While MMA is going to grow. Facts are facts.
derrick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #26
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Badlefthook.com
Posts: 11,159
vCash: 75
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
You guys are lucky you're not having to pay double to watch one of the greatest left hook artists in history KO a former contender.

Anyone know who's on the undercard?
Probably nobody special. It's going against a solid HBO card, so only the hardcore Tua fans will be buying it.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #27
stormy
Live and Learn
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: in the trenches
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

watching a fight that you cant get to because of the distance involved in getting to it is great and PPV is the cheapest option and far far better than missing it altogether. The previous ****wit that suggested Tua was embarrassed to be on bigger PPVs is the sort of dickhead that knows sweet fark all bout TUA,boxing,or anything off significance. Go jump off a tall building you fukhead.
stormy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #28
DLSC
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sin City
Posts: 2,121
vCash: 853
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
A lot of people misunderstand these low level PPV's... take for instance

Fernando Vargas vs Ricardo Mayorga

Nobody thought that it should have been on ppv, and they didnt put it on there because it was some 'special' fight....

They did it because HBO and Showtime passed on the fight, and couldnt get a TV spot for it that they felt it ******ted, (meaning, they werent gonna put it on Friday Night Fights or something to that effect) and Vargas is a headliner so it wasnt going to be an undercard fight.... hence they were in a bind.

So, they put it on PPV,


Thats how and why most of these type fights are ppv's, not because its a huge attraction, but its because it couldnt attain a TV spot be it HBO or Showtime and so the next best thing for these type fights from their standpoint is to put it on PPV.

Has nothing to do with it being a 'PPV worthy' type fight or not most of the time.

Just like the Holyfield/Botha fight in Vegas.
DLSC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #29
diehard
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 624
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Whats wrong with boxing? PPV for Tua v Barrett is #1

Brickhaus, what's the competing HBO card?
diehard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013