Old 06-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #31
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: best boxing books and why

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Sonny Liston: Night Train would be my personal choice for the number one spot. The author takes an angle and runs with it but his window into that world is anything but narrow. You're taken into the different worlds of ownership that Sonny was exposed to - and what he exposed his fellow human to in return (or not). It less than stellar where the fights are concerned, but it's a really decent stab at unlocking Liston.

I was disappointed with “night train”. I read it along time ago when it first came out and whilst the subject is interesting and the photos are good I have another liston book that is better. The main issue I had with it was that the author unchallenged a statement within it from somebody associated with the ibc saying that the marciano - moore fight was fixed so that marciano could retire unbeaten! I found this to be totally irresponsible and misleading for younger fans who could have accepted this as a fact. From that point on I couldn’t help suspecting the rest of information within listons story was not tainted by the authors opinion that the mob always decided who won title fights. I got the impresion the author was too obsessed on Liston being so thoroughly exploited and that he was prevented from fulfilling his potential as a long serving golden boy champion. I wanted the story first and to be able to decide for this myself. It rubbed me up the wrong way. It was well written but I am certain the author was not such a fan of profesional boxing as a sport.
The other liston book (sonny Liston his life strife and the phantom punch by rob steen) I have is not great but is worth it for the interview with valdes and marty marshal. Again this book runs away with the idea that without the influence of mobsters Liston may never ever have lost when in truth there would have been no opertunitys for him without the mob. The guy who wrote that book was a good sports writer but wrote books about too many other sports to be as much of an authority as I like authors of good boxing books to be.
choklab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #32
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morlocks View Post
I never can find a cheap enough copy of "Somebody Up There Likes Me" on Amazon or elsewhere.
snag it from the library
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #33
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

'The Sweet Science' - AJ Liebling. One of the best boxing books ever, true literature.

'The Fight' - Norman Mailer. This is a love it or hate it book. My first love in boxing books. Captures a continent, a time (the 70's), and two fighters (Ali, Foreman). Brilliant IMO.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #34
Cmoyle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

If you're just looking for a reading copy I've got the following hardcover available on my website:
Graziano, Rocky 'Somebody Up There Likes Me' 1955 1st edition. Front hingle loosening, covers are worn and fraying at spine with a 1" tear along the rear of the spine. Clean and straight though and a terrific read. $20
$24 including shipping in the U.S., $33.45 overseas.
Cmoyle is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #35
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Durans book 'Hands of stone' From 3 or 4 yrs back is a fantastic read. Boy did he have it tough!
'Four Kings' is another recent-ish book thats a good read with a few stories i hadnt heard of before-always a plus
Have a soft spot for 'The Greatest' by richard durham as it was the first boxing book i read, in fact it was the first book that i read that i wasnt shouted at by a teacher to read.
Have to get my hands on that don king book 'The life and crimes....', ive been busting to read that for a while
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #36
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Best boxing book I've ever read by a country mile is "BOXING'S MISTER PRESIDENT - The Story Of The World Heavyweight CHampionship" by Bill Beadle, I got it from an old shop in London (which has sadly closed down now - it was called sports pages - it was the only one they had - and I have never never seen it anywhere before or since and nobody I know has ever seen or heard of it - an amazing book - would love to hear if anyone else has read it - it really is a brilliant book - and an absolute must have for any boxing fan or historian - first published in 1997 by Wat Tyler Book accordingh to the inlay and printed by Redwoood books.
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #37
nip102
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 987

dundee's book is good
nip102 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #38
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

my best book is "in this corner" by peter heller. Its the one i go back to most of all. it is interviews with 40 living world champions in 1972 each one is good. including Louis,robinson, Moore, pep, dempsey, patterson, ali, gunboat smith, mickey walker, lamotta, fulmer, graziano, armstrong, pender, sharkey, braddock, zivick, billy conn and many more. it is a super super book.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #39
brucebufershair
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey View Post
Theres another great story in there of how he came this close to shooting Donny LaLonde in his apartment, but Donny was out, and as time wore on he realised it would be a huge mistake, but had Donny been in he would have killed him
Does it have the storey about he had tyson at gun point in the ring all night in the Catskills because Tyson groped his neice or his cousin
brucebufershair is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #40
brando18b4h
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

A flame of pure fire, Jack Dempsey and the roaring
20's.

Come out smokin, the story of Joe Frazier.

Hands of stone.
brando18b4h is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #41
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

The first boxing book I ever read was in Middle School and it was the Brown Bomber. Not the best book, but very simple and to the point.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #42
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

No love for what Hemingway called the best boxing novel he ever read, W.C. Heinz's THE PROFESSIONAL?
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #43
Cmoyle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yep, if you like fiction I thought 'The Professional' was a very good read.
Cmoyle is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #44
swede_dreams
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

"The gloves" by Mark Anasi.
It gives a raw,realistic view of the amateur scene in us and the golden gloves tournament.
I also like "100 greatest fighters" by Bert Sugar.
swede_dreams is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2010, 01:04 AM   #45
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoyle View Post
Yep, if you like fiction I thought 'The Professional' was a very good read.

It wasn't so much fiction, cm. They were thinly-veiled real fighters.
john garfield is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum