john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cassius Clay vs. Doug Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraq
Lucky guys Hank and john garfield.

All I can say is that I feel like I am in exalted company.
Appreciate the props, abraq, but I'm just old. Live long enough and ya just happen to be there when stuff happens.
john garfield is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #32
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Hi Hank, this is fascinating stuff. Could you perhaps amplify what it is about Monzon that was so impressive in the flesh? I ask, because I sometimes feel like Monzon DOESN'T look that special on film (though I am a big, big fan and really rate him).

I'm glad to hear this from someone who saw him live say so. I've often asserted that Duran was one of the most natural of fighters and people often just shrug, as if i've said something indefensable. Anything particular stick in your memory?
MCGrain,

Let me put my two cents in about Monzon and Duran.

Like many other fans, I'd seen Monzon on TV, but finally got to see him live (which is the only way I like to judge a fighter) against Tony Licata, a slippery boxer, at Madison Square Garden.

Even though Monzon isn't as big as many middleweights nowadays, between his upright stance, long legs, and what seemed liked arms that stretched for miles, he had the look of a towering sequoia.

What was impressive about him was not flash and style, it was as if he was a glacier, moving forward, impervious to anything his opponent was doing, until he crushed him.

Monzon didn't take your breath away with excitement; he was scary contemplating sharing a ring with him.

As for Duran, (aside from all his TV appearances and going to his training sessions in New York) I saw him in his first fight in NY at the new MSG against a local, hard-hitting, left-hooking club fighter, on a string of KO's, Benny Heurtas.

If memory serves, Duran was introduced as "Rocky" Duran. Huertas had the audacity to initiate the action. For his pains, he was torn apart and shredded in seconds by what looked a maniac that had escaped from an asylum, and would need to be netted and fed raw meat.

I think the feeling in the Garden was: Thank God he's in the ring, not among us.

I saw him in his loss to DeJesus. What surprised me most was that he took the loss with such good grace loss -- no histrionics. It almost seemed like a lookalike showed up.

I also saw him from ringside when I was sure he made a gelding of Buchanan. It was the kind of nut crusher that every man dreads.

As a lightweight, Duran was the complete package, plus a ferocity I've never seen in another fighter.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #33
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield
MCGrain,

Let me put my two cents in about Monzon and Duran.
Always welcome John. I especially like...

Quote:
If memory serves, Duran was introduced as "Rocky" Duran. Huertas had the audacity to initiate the action. For his pains, he was torn apart and shredded in seconds by what looked a maniac that had escaped from an asylum, and would need to be netted and fed raw meat.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #34
Hank
Contender
ESB Senior Member

To those who asked, Monzon impresssed me because he threw a right hand with no flashienss, yet so ****ing quick that you didn''t know he was throwing it. One second they are boxing, then openents (Licata's ) face is almost exploded. He kept doing that, till Licata --who by the way, tok a great shot and was as tough as anyone--was stoppped. Monzon did not hop, shuffle hands, make flashy moves.

Another thing, which many may not understand--Monzon usually fought in Europe, and when those fights were televised in 70's, for some reason video would be a bit herky-jerky at times. Almost like 1915 fight film, not as bad of course, but a bit off in spots, and seemed a bit slow. Had something to do with satelite feed of those days.

I believe that was Monzon's ony fight in United States, definately only defense in New York, so I was curious to see him and made sure I went.
Hank is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #35
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
I believe that was Monzon's ony fight in United States, definately only defense in New York, so I was curious to see him and made sure I went.
That fight, along with the Galindez/Ahumada scrap that night saved my friend and I's investment watching closed circuit in Indy because the headliner that night was the Khala Lampur Ali-Bugner borefest...

Oh...it was Ali over Jones 6-3-1; everytime I watch I score it the same.

John Garfield can vouch for me on this; go over to cyberboxingzone.com and mingle with some other old timers. They have old stories and articles that will amaze you; what's the one guy's name John? Ron Lipton? Facinating reading (as are your lookbacks as well Mr. Garfield) Kudos to all!!!
jowcol is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #36
Hank
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowcol
That fight, along with the Galindez/Ahumada scrap that night saved my friend and I's investment watching closed circuit in Indy because the headliner that night was the Khala Lampur Ali-Bugner borefest...

Oh...it was Ali over Jones 6-3-1; everytime I watch I score it the same.

John Garfield can vouch for me on this; go over to cyberboxingzone.com and mingle with some other old timers. They have old stories and articles that will amaze you; what's the one guy's name John? Ron Lipton? Facinating reading (as are your lookbacks as well Mr. Garfield) Kudos to all!!!
Ali Bugner!!!!!! Oh shit, I saw that in movie theatere too, closed circuit. Worst fight ever for a title, Bugner did shit, and Ali did sleigtly more--maybe. I remember walking out feeling ripped off.

I never saw Galindez in Person, but he was a favorite of mine, especially in his first title fights.
Hank is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum