Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 07-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Whats next for Alex Leapai?

The big fight is over and we all have our thoughts on the stoppage.

One thing is for sure is Alex will get a top 15 ranking

How good is his chin and ability to recover....oh and he can also punch

If Walker was chinny he would have been stopped round 1 or 2.

Im sure the guys will be working on a few things to keep Alex growing as a fighter.

Whats next for Alex.....Ippy says a deal with Owen Beck is on the cards

A win over Travis Walker then Owen Back will see Alex as a chance to get a title shot....and we know Noel can get his fighters shots at titles

Who would you be looking to fight if you were team Leapai?
ashley is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
BigBopper
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 87
Default Re: Whats next for Alex Leapai?

Maybe try and develop some boxing skills?
BigBopper is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

The Beck fight is not signed yet, despite boxrec having it listed. That being said, it should be soon. Beck is 29-5 with 20KO's. He's another legitimate big step. He's lost his last two, but they've been against Tony Thompson and Manuel Charr, a top prospect. He's had plenty of time to prepare for the fight, so I think it's going to be another TOUGH fight for Alex.

After that, who knows, there's no real rush. Alex is only 30 and is still finding his feet. I know his team are really happy with the way he came through the other night. It's a massive learning curve but he showed his mettle when it would've been easier to come back another night.

There's been plenty of discussions with boxers and managers but it's all a matter of dollars and cents, if not sense. He's got things to work on and I for one look forward to seeing his improvement and climb up the ladder. One thing's for sure, he gives value for money.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBopper View Post
Maybe try and develop some boxing skills?
Im sure Alex would agree hes more a fighter than a boxer.

Alex once said "the best thing about Noel is he worked on my strengths and didnt try to make me box and move because Im just not that kind of fighter"

Sure the guys are working on all sorts of skills and conditioning but when you get hit fluch many times by a man mountain the game plan goes out the window.

So what skills are you talking about and who would you have Alex fight next?
ashley is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
BigBopper
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I have no problem with Alex fighting the way he does in general. Or going against his natural style. But that was a straight out brawl. I seem to remember the fight against Mark de Mori he had a lot more head and body movement. That looked like a brawl in the pub car park. He looked like he had less skills than when he started. I might have to rewatch the demori fight in case I was imaging things.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I have no problem with Alex fighting the way he does in general. Or going against his natural style. But that was a straight out brawl. I seem to remember the fight against Mark de Mori he had a lot more head and body movement. That looked like a brawl in the pub car park. He looked like he had less skills than when he started. I might have to rewatch the demori fight in case I was imaging things.
He was 15 kgs lighter back then......we all want the ideal mover, boxer puncher HW but its as hard to come by as free pizza and beer

Who would you have him fight next?
ashley is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
BigBopper
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Yeah I just rewatched the first couple of rounds against de Mori. That version of Alex was twice as good as the one that fought Walker. Head movement, bending at the waist, slipping punches, using the jab......then bombing away.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah I just rewatched the first couple of rounds against de Mori. That version of Alex was twice as good as the one that fought Walker. Head movement, bending at the waist, slipping punches, using the jab......then bombing away.

Give me 5 and I will watch it again
ashley is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
BigBopper
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Get in line to fight Arreola. Although everyone wants that fight I think as he doesn't have much skill but is a big name. ***ton would be good. ***ton will out box him but I think Alex would end it before it would ever get to that stage. Maybe Ustinov as well. He is rated highly by the WBA and is pretty damn slow and not so polished in the skills department. Fight in Germany on a Klitschko card against Ustinov??
Old 07-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Get in line to fight Arreola. Although everyone wants that fight I think as he doesn't have much skill but is a big name. ***ton would be good. ***ton will out box him but I think Alex would end it before it would ever get to that stage. Maybe Ustinov as well. He is rated highly by the WBA and is pretty damn slow and not so polished in the skills department. Fight in Germany on a Klitschko card against Ustinov??
They are going the WBO line so Chauncy, ***ton and Areola sound good and will keep Alex moving closer to the shot against Wlad.

The WBA are a real option and we may see Alex get rated there soon after his win this week.

I like the thought of Ustinov in Germany
ashley is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

If Alex can continue getting quality opposition ie Walker , Beck etc in Australia then his future career looks bright at home, but if that level of opposition dries up then he will have to travel and fight the best in Europe and America if he is to give himself a fair shot at realising his potential and imo that's where he comes unstuck , Good luck to him though i enjoyed that fight a few nights back . Thanks for the link TC Boxa,,, Now any chance of posting the Vea v Siale fight ?,,,,
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
rongee90
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

IMO I think Alex should go back to the basics and continue to hone in and master those skills before taking on similar calibre of fighters. He does seem to have that physiological edge but will struggle without the proper training/conditioning.
The good thing about the fight with Travis is he can learn some valuable lessons and hopefully take a more strategic approach next time than always looking for the quick KO. He's gonna need more than a overhand right or uppercut.
rongee90 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
They are going the WBO line so Chauncy, ***ton and Areola sound good and will keep Alex moving closer to the shot against Wlad.

The WBA are a real option and we may see Alex get rated there soon after his win this week.

I like the thought of Ustinov in Germany

if u know what line they are going down, why did u ask the question in the first place
kel is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #14
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
if u know what line they are going down, why did u ask the question in the first place
Ask Marcus and IrnBruMan... I'm sure they will elaborate...
oztriker is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post

Well lets just pack up the forum and go home....no point talking about boxing here

Because its a boxing forum and its interesting to see peoples views on who they think Alex should fight.

They are rated in the WBO so one would think they would go this way.

Quote from Noel......If we win against Walker we should be rated in top 10 to 15 in the WBO and a chance at a title shot

Owen Beck and Travis walker are not rated top 15 in the WBO and Alex will fight them

So Kel...who do you think he should fight?
ashley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum