Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Worst Boxing books and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ungurean
The Soose book was beyond awful.
It was almost like an essay designed to get Soose into the hall of fame.

I'm currently reading Teddy Atlas's book, its a cracking read, I highly recommend it
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #17
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Garbage books..

Audley harrison ( from zero to hero )

Good Boxing literature..

The Black Lights.. Thomas Hauser..

Come out smoking .. Phil Pepe (biography to Joe Frazier 1972)

On Boxing .. Joyce Carol Oates.. more of a study Essay of fighters..

Fire and Fear .. Jose Torres. a kiss and tell all about Team Tyson..

Serenity ... by Ralph Wiley. EXCELLENT READ...

Blood Season ...... A full so called season of boxing showing comparrisons between aging Leon Spinks and rising contender come champion Mike Tyson.. Very clever book.....

Fight Town. A pictoral history of Boxing in Las Vegas... A must have coffee table book...... Full Colour are photographic book......... Fabulous..

Mamas Boy.. The newest biography of Lennox Lewis.. Far better than the old one...

The life and crimes of Don King... Jack Newfield. Very interesting indeed..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #18
Jear
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Didnt like Smokin Joe full of excuses and bitterness. Lessened my opinion on Joe, he was a great fighter didnt need to do this.

Did like sting like a bee by Jose Torres, gives a boxers viewpoint on the flaws in Alis fighting post layoff.
Joe Louis American - Margery Miller & The Louis Legend by Nat Fleischer.
Jear is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #19
killerkai1

Read 'Totaly Frank' by frank bruno and kevin Mitchell, thought it would be crap but it was quite simply one of the best books i have ever read. I know its ghost written but i could not put it down, no excuses for his defeats except the better guy won (except for the lewis fight which he puts down to a lapse of concentration) and his battle with mental illness. All british boxing fans should buy it. I do not recommend usually but this will impress you.
killerkai1 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #20
SchweitzerMan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
The Holyfield Wat by James J Thomas II. That is nothing but 245 pgs of nuthugging for Evander. Almost every page it seems, James is saying "being the great man Evander is" or "But Evander being so courageous, never gave up" stuff like that. Then he said Evander was a clean fighter. He said that Evander and the other guy are merely fighting over space, so of course the accidental clash of heads is bound to happen (thats not word for word). He atually had the guts to say that Evander won the first Lewis fight!!! Then at the end of the book, the last few sentences of the book were:

"Evander, I have one more idea," I said. (obviously the author)
He looked at me and waited for me to continue.
"I think a great way for you to finish on top would be to win back your license, call a press conference the next day, and announce that now the decision is yours to make, you have decided to retire."
Evander smiled warmly.
"You never give up, do you?" he said shaking his head.
I smiled and looked at him.
"I learned it from you."

When I read that I felt like puking. In the movies thats when they would just stare at each for a moment, then get closer and start to kiss.
Whenever I was at the bookstore, I would pick this up and browse through it and tried my best to like it but the guy is too much of a Holyfield nuthugger like you said. When I read that he yelled at someone when they said they were sorry Holyfield lost the first Lewis fight (before the decision was announced), I knew that I couldn't buy it. And I read the ending too and thought that it was just the cheesiest thing I'd read in a long time
SchweitzerMan is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #21
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

The Sugar Ray Robinson effort Pound for Pound was blandly written and very one sided.Mama's Boy was a struggle, but I did like hearing about Lennox's training methods, and was fascinated to read that he used to do some pretty serious weight training. I got it for £3 and i'd happily have paid for that little nugget, though I could have done with reading most of the rest.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #22
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchweitzerMan
Whenever I was at the bookstore, I would pick this up and browse through it and tried my best to like it but the guy is too much of a Holyfield nuthugger like you said. When I read that he yelled at someone when they said they were sorry Holyfield lost the first Lewis fight (before the decision was announced), I knew that I couldn't buy it. And I read the ending too and thought that it was just the cheesiest thing I'd read in a long time
I pushed my way through it. I had to force my self to read past the 3rd chapter, just hoping it would get better. Really I was after some more detailed Holfield info...all I found out was who the biggest Holyfield nuthugger was.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #23
SchweitzerMan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1423

I thought Pound for Pound was good but not as great as I had hoped it would be.
SchweitzerMan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum