Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #61
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Muirthemne
Posts: 10,616
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier as a puncher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
What consensus? Such things are purely subjective. They are for fun only, it's pointless to be looking for any consensus here.
The more precise the scale, the more subjective they become.

You and I might put Foreman and Tyson in the same category. We might agree that Ali and Frazier were in a lowere category. That much would be reasonably objective.

The precise order of the above-named four would require much more subjectivity.

It all depends on what you want to do with the rankings.
cuchulain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #62
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,329
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier as a puncher.

I watched some of Frazier vs Quarry 1. A pretty good fight.

Here's how I woudl rate Frazier's hook from 1-10.

Speed 9
Accruacy 8
Stamina to be thrown often 10
Power 7.5

Frazier hit Quarry many times with the hook. The fight was stopped on a cut, but Quarry was in no danger of going down. Quarry could take a good punch, but if Frazier was a big time puncher, he gets Quarry out of there sooner with a KO or TKO from a knockdown.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #63
Sonny Carson
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,497
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier as a puncher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
I watched some of Frazier vs Quarry 1. A pretty good fight.

Here's how I woudl rate Frazier's hook from 1-10.

Speed 9
Accruacy 8
Stamina to be thrown often 10
Power 7.5

Frazier hit Quarry many times with the hook. The fight was stopped on a cut, but Quarry was in no danger of going down. Quarry could take a good punch, but if Frazier was a big time puncher, he gets Quarry out of there sooner with a KO or TKO from a knockdown.
Nobody ever really knocked out Quarry including Chuvalo. That stoppage was bullshit, Quarry wasn't hurt. I'd give Frazier an 8.5 out of 10 in power. The left hook Ali took from him was devestating. And what about his knockout of Jimmy Ellis?
Sonny Carson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #64
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,329
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier as a puncher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Carson
Nobody ever really knocked out Quarry including Chuvalo. That stoppage was bullshit, Quarry wasn't hurt. I'd give Frazier an 8.5 out of 10 in power. The left hook Ali took from him was devestating. And what about his knockout of Jimmy Ellis?
Asside from Bob Foster who just could not take a heavywieght punch, Frazier tended to grind guys down. Maybe Quarry is a bad example, but Frazier threw and landed plenty of lefts on guys like Mathis, a washed up Machen, Scrap iron Johnson, Bugner, Bonevenna, Foreman and others. An " 8.5 " to me gets guys out of there a bit sooner when they keep landing their best and scores more than Frazier actually did.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #65
Sonny Carson
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,497
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier as a puncher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Asside from Bob Foster who just could not take a heavywieght punch, Frazier tended to grind guys down. Maybe Quarry is a bad example, but Frazier threw and landed plenty of lefts on guys like Mathis, a washed up Machen, Scrap iron Johnson, Bugner, Bonevenna, Foreman and others. An " 8.5 " to me gets guys out of there a bit sooner when they keep landing their best and scores more than Frazier actually did.
Most of the guy's you listed were durable fighter's. Some of them had only been stopped maybe once or twice. I think you are really underrating Frazier's power.
Sonny Carson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #66
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,770
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier as a puncher.

Keep in mind guys, that the topic of the thread is " Frazier as a puncher ". Being a great puncher should not always necessarily be about actual power, but the overall ability to land in close, land often, and get guys out of there regardless of weather its via one punch power or otherwise. While I probably wouldn't give Frazier's actual power an 8.5, I would probably give his overall ability as a puncher a 9-10.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #67
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,337
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier as a puncher.

I think Frazier is getting sold well short in the raw power department here.

Those who fought or sparred with him all sing from the same song sheet. They say he was a wrecking machine.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #68
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,770
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier as a puncher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
I think Frazier is getting sold well short in the raw power department here.

Those who fought or sparred with him all sing from the same song sheet. They say he was a wrecking machine.
I agree Janitor,

it should be noted however that Frazier never tested his power against the true warrior in my avator.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:25 AM   #69
Hank
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier as a puncher.

Frazier was good puncher, but only with left. He threw it over and over, with everything on it, yet was still no more than a 5 or 6. Maybe a 7, these ratings are not scientific. He won an Olympic Gold, and Heavyweight title, so however he punched, it sure was good enough.
Hank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #70
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,116
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier as a puncher.

Didn't smoke brake larry holmes ribs>
fg2227 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #71
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier as a puncher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227
Didn't smoke brake larry holmes ribs>
Larry gave or at least offered Bill his spare ribs! Hope they were well cooked and intact.

Seriously tho......there are two stories i think. Frazier's says he broke Holmes ribs and sent him off. Holmes says he was doing too well. Aparently Futch and Benton among others seem to support Frazier's side. MDWC or others can feel free to expand or correct.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013