Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who is nat fleischer>

TBooze, at the time of his death the Ring was an undisputed icon and standard in the boxing world. Nat was never sold on Ali been a great but did say he was the fastest heavy he had ever seen. As my brothers and I went back over all of Ali's fights in the sixties we were suprised at how unimpressed we were compared to how we saw them at the time. I could see how Nat viewed him in comparison to those in his top ten, all of whom he had seen fight first hand. Still despite the now seen flaws in the greatest, we still have him number 2 under Louis because of his natural gifts in speed of hand and foot, a great chin, and reflexes.
timmers612 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #17
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Man do I miss the old Ring and its writers, Nat, Nat Loubet, Sailor Sam Taub, Dan Daniels,,,those were the days guys.
timmers612 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #18
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmers612
TBooze, at the time of his death the Ring was an undisputed icon and standard in the boxing world. Nat was never sold on Ali been a great but did say he was the fastest heavy he had ever seen. As my brothers and I went back over all of Ali's fights in the sixties we were suprised at how unimpressed we were compared to how we saw them at the time. I could see how Nat viewed him in comparison to those in his top ten, all of whom he had seen fight first hand. Still despite the now seen flaws in the greatest, we still have him number 2 under Louis because of his natural gifts in speed of hand and foot, a great chin, and reflexes.
He also the leader of the people who would bring down his magazine. Fleischer was deeply flawed, but many a genius is, and he was a borderline boxing Einstein, I will give him that.
TBooze is online now  Top
Old 11-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #19
JohnBKelly
Journeyman

Without Fleischer and the Ring boxing would be very different today. Folks don't always realise that good quality sportswriting is extremely important as a means of keeping the public interested in the bad times as well as the good. Boxing would have the same credibility as wrestling if it wasn't for Fleischer and people like him who fought extremely have to keep the game straight. Since he died things went downhill badly as multiple world champs became acceptable along with the Don King style of only letting house fighters get a shot at his champs.
JohnBKelly is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #20
DFW
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

As a kid growing up in the 1950's and 60's , I became an avid boxing fan. I couldn't wait to get my hands on the boxing magazines that were put out each month. The Ring magazine and Boxing Illustrated were my favorites. Nat Fleischer was the editor of Ring magazine and Stanley Weston handled Boxing Illustrated. Those were great publications back then. After Mr. Fleischer and Mr. Weston left the scene both of those magazines in my opinion rapidly went down hill and I lost interest in both. So bravo to NAT FLEISCHER and STANLEY WESTON!!!! Thanks for the memories.
DFW is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2007, 11:44 PM   #21
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I find it shameful that Fleischer never had the opportunity to rate an all time great like Chuck Wepner.
magoo what is it about wepner that you like? he didn't seem to have much going for him.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 12:28 AM   #22
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Fleischer was also a very bitter and petty man who held a grudge well, and although he made The Ring very influential, but he also help ruin it. I guess the old saying is true:

Total power corrupts, totally.
Isn't that absolute?
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 12:31 AM   #23
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBKelly
Without Fleischer and the Ring boxing would be very different today. Folks don't always realise that good quality sportswriting is extremely important as a means of keeping the public interested in the bad times as well as the good. Boxing would have the same credibility as wrestling if it wasn't for Fleischer and people like him who fought extremely have to keep the game straight. Since he died things went downhill badly as multiple world champs became acceptable along with the Don King style of only letting house fighters get a shot at his champs.
I agree with the points of this post... even though I don't agree with Fleischer and some of his opinions
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 05:00 AM   #24
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoMarciano
Isn't that absolute?
.... Totally
TBooze is online now  Top