Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 11-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #31
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611
Default Re: Miguel Cotto: A superstar is born!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazetheman
I think his boxing looked a little better than it really is because Mosley had zero defence and was gassed early because of his nerves, Cotto was a scary guy for those first six rounds or so. Once shane had calmed down he was already breathing hard but he came forward still and had Cotto retreating, you're obviously a big Cotto fan, how do you feel about Cotto retreating? I didn't think that was part of his game, i'd be a fan of his if he kept coming like he did in the first half.
Yeah Mosley did make Cottos boxing ability look a bit better than it is. Mosley stayd in range and was somewhat lazy which allowed Cotto to land some good clean shots. Fighters have always been able to land on Mosley if you dont believe me then you need to go back and watch his past fights.

Mosley was gassed, Mosley put everything into the first half of the fight and he couldnt break the man. Cottos defence was the main thing he has improved out of sight on...still he will get picked apart by PBF but that is nothing to be ashamed about.

I dont want a rematch cause Shane should retire in decent form. Taking on Cotto again will be dam hard work. He could win if he tweeks his plan but I dont want him roughed up
teke is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #32
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

THIS IS FROM ENDI.COM THE PUERTO RICAN NEWSPAPER, SHANE MOSLEY INTERVIEW. ITS IN SPANISH, BUT I PLACED IT IN ENGLISH. IF YOU WANT TO READ ACTUAL JUST VISIT WEBSITE.

ENOUGH WITH SAYING THAT SHANE WON...EVEN HE ADMITS HE LOST!! JUST GIVE COTTO HIS PROPS AND ALSO GIVE SHANE RESPECT FOR NOT CRYING OR MAKING EXCUSES.. HE IS A TRUE WARRIOR !!!

Shane: Cotto was the better man

“I was surprised by his movement, velocity and his boxing skills. I wasn’t expecting that, I was just thinking I would be fighting a hard puncher” Sugar Shane Mosley

“Miguel beat me, it was a very hard fight for both of us and very good for the fans but he did a better job and deserves the hard fought victory” Sugar Shane Mosley

“Miguel is a young warrior, very strong, not only with his hands but his legs are extremely strong. I hit him really hard many times but I could hardly move him”
Sugar Shane Mosley

“I had a very good 3rd round, on that round I did exactly as planned during training. I didn’t continue to do it and I allowed Miguel to take control of the fight”
Sugar Shane Mosley

“I placed a lot of pressure on Miguel in the final rounds and I believe I won those rounds but I was behind on the cards. I am not going to question the judges scorecards because this night Miguel Cotto was better than I” Sugar Shane Mosley

When asked if he would like the rematch???

“Definitely and I would move more and use more boxing. That’s they way to beat him”

When asked about retirement?

“I still love boxing and I still have things left to do in this sport. Let’s see, I would like another fight against Cotto but if that’s not possible there are many other big names to make more fights. I don’t want to say good bye this way, I want to say good bye with a huge win” Sugar Shane Mosley

If Shane boxed more in the rematch like he said he would then I will grant him to fight on

teke is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #33
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazetheman
I think his boxing looked a little better than it really is because Mosley had zero defence and was gassed early because of his nerves, Cotto was a scary guy for those first six rounds or so. Once shane had calmed down he was already breathing hard but he came forward still and had Cotto retreating, you're obviously a big Cotto fan, how do you feel about Cotto retreating? I didn't think that was part of his game, i'd be a fan of his if he kept coming like he did in the first half.

I think it's interesting that Cotto comes across as such a nice guy in interviews before and after a fight, in the ring the guy is straight out mean and nasty, refusing to touch gloves with Mosley whenever he put his hand out, and the deliberate low blows against Judah when he was in trouble, the guy is a monster but the retreating he did destroyed the image i had of him in my head, it just seemed uncharacteristic, i thought Mosley was about to buckle under the pressure and it's like Cotto just eased off and i ended up scoring the fight a draw, i think Mosley will win the rematch now if he doesn't go looking for the knockout from the start. I don't know what changed the fight at the half way mark, Mosley boxing on his toes, Cotto easing off for some unexplained reason, or a combination of the two, hopefully there will be a rematch, the fight was too inconclusive.
The cotto gameplan was obviously never at any stage going to be to try and beat Shane down with relentless pressure like the Judah fight. Maybe he doubted his ability to have success this way after seeing how Shane handled Oscar. The thing is that he was still landing and counter punching well even whilst boxing off the back foot. IT IS NOT THE FIRST TIME IN HIS CAREER HE HAS DONE THIS. He has totally outboxed guys earlier in his career, and perhaps against Mosley he felt that this way the best way to beat him. 2 rounds there he almost certainly gave away, which was suprising. I haven't seen him do this since the Malignaggi fight. I think Cotto does this when he feels a fight may go the distance but knows he is in front. I don't agree with the tactic, but I also have no doubt he would fight Mayweather differently. Mosley is a great fighter, who showed up fit and fast. After watching the way Mosley totally outboxed guys like Vargas (2nd Fight) and Collazo it really is a testament to Cotto's boxing ability. I think your image of Cotto is incorrect, apart from the Torres fight he has never been a slugger. The abdulleav fight is great example, as he prefered to stick and move, rather then sit in the pocket and trade. This is not how Cotto fights. He adapts to his opponent.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #34
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I was goin for Mosley big time but Cotto won and a re-match wouldnt change one bit.

I also didnt notice Cotto not wanting to touch gloves, and if he didnt thats his choice, i hardly think it makes him a bad sport. Its just a mind game and maybe it was played on Mosley during the fight.
Marcus is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #35
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I was goin for Mosley big time but Cotto won and a re-match wouldnt change one bit.

I also didnt notice Cotto not wanting to touch gloves, and if he didnt thats his choice, i hardly think it makes him a bad sport. Its just a mind game and maybe it was played on Mosley during the fight.
Exactly. He knows thats how Mosley likes to fight in that regard, so maybe he did it to throw him off.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 PM   #36
SOULS 04
Journeyman

I agree with the point made about mosley not throwing anywhere near enough combination... those fast combinations killed vargas. like the first one or 2 punches werent doing the damages but the 3,4 and 5th shots were proving impossible to defend. but he just didnt throw them.

great fight though. top win for cotto! really has made a name after beating judah and now mosley.
SOULS 04 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 12:08 AM   #37
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
The cotto gameplan was obviously never at any stage going to be to try and beat Shane down with relentless pressure like the Judah fight. Maybe he doubted his ability to have success this way after seeing how Shane handled Oscar. The thing is that he was still landing and counter punching well even whilst boxing off the back foot. IT IS NOT THE FIRST TIME IN HIS CAREER HE HAS DONE THIS. He has totally outboxed guys earlier in his career, and perhaps against Mosley he felt that this way the best way to beat him. 2 rounds there he almost certainly gave away, which was suprising. I haven't seen him do this since the Malignaggi fight. I think Cotto does this when he feels a fight may go the distance but knows he is in front. I don't agree with the tactic, but I also have no doubt he would fight Mayweather differently. Mosley is a great fighter, who showed up fit and fast. After watching the way Mosley totally outboxed guys like Vargas (2nd Fight) and Collazo it really is a testament to Cotto's boxing ability. I think your image of Cotto is incorrect, apart from the Torres fight he has never been a slugger. The abdulleav fight is great example, as he prefered to stick and move, rather then sit in the pocket and trade. This is not how Cotto fights. He adapts to his opponent.
Thats pretty much how i feel.
Great post.
Kegsy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum