Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #46
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

I only put it up over the weekend there seeing it was the derby as short term thingy, just to add a little 'spice' to procedings (you could've put one up of ratboy Phillips goading our fans you'd wanted). It's been removed now, no strong offense meant just banter.

Anyway how was your weekend?
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #47
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
I only put it up over the weekend there seeing it was the derby as short term thingy, just to add a little 'spice' to procedings (you could've put one up of ratboy Phillips goading our fans you'd wanted). It's been removed now, no strong offense meant just banter.

Anyway how was your weekend?
there was no offence taken at all mate,just that little shit with his smb t-shirt on gets to us admitedly sad mackems.the weekend was so so.thought we should have beaten a very mediocre newcastle side so it's really 2 dropped.my lads were the same drew1-1 away against the 4th off top team but we should have won comfortable.how did the crusaders do?
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #48
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k.
there was no offence taken at all mate,just that little shit with his smb t-shirt on gets to us admitedly sad mackems.the weekend was so so.thought we should have beaten a very mediocre newcastle side so it's really 2 dropped.my lads were the same drew1-1 away against the 4th off top team but we should have won comfortable.how did the crusaders do?

I stated earlier in another post that thought were definitely fortunate to escape with a draw, fair play to Sunderland they were the better team (especially in the first half), showed more urgency and had Jones (good player btw) taken some of those chances we'd have been staring defeat in the face. That's football for you if you don't kill the other team while you're on top you can pay for it at times. Jinky's goal was some 'cross', but it did for me.

*No excuses for Barton's tackle/behaviour- he should have walked.

Crues lost 3-1, to a pretty mediocre Institute side. We were uncharacteristically pretty poor on Saturday (easily the worst we've played all season), too many off colour performances (tired legs?) out there and our defending was slack too often. Fair play to 'Stute they played well enough, looked fresher and deserved it even though we were never really ourselves. Conceding two early goals killed us and although we looked a bit more threatening after we got one back we never really got a foothold in the game for long enough, they got a third after we gave away possession far too easily and that was it pretty much over. Our cup form has been good, but league results still erratic, even though we've had some tricky games especially at home we've usually played well even in defeat. Sadly not this time. A case of one game too many, I think. A two week break will do us no harm at all. Here's the table:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #49
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
. I meant taking the back foot.
Gotcha.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #50
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
He looekd horrible, sure. But we're talking about all-round punchers, in other words, the ability to stop a man, right?
Not always, no, but it's a big one. Rocky scores highly for reasons i've listed but lower because of technical deficiencies. For very different reasons, the same can be said of Jones.

Quote:
p.s. Joe Louis, who is mostly #1 or #2 at these lists, and rightfully so, also fell down after throwing a punch.
He's my one, and technically he is streets, miles, continents ahead of Rocky.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 05:31 AM   #51
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Part 1

Charlie Burley

Best Punch: Burley's left hand was among the most educated in the game when he was scaring off the more famous middleweights, such as Ray Robinson, Billy Conn, Jake LaMotta and Tony Zale.

Greatest Knockout: Burley scored the only kayo in his intense seven-fight series with the excellent Holman Williams when he stopped Williams in the ninth round in New Orleans in August 1942.

Statistical Analysis: For all his brilliance, Burley never scored more than six knockouts in a row. He did that between December 1941 and February '42.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #52
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Cool. I agree with the pick for the best KO, stoping Williams is something a bit special.

Not sure if it's fair to say Conn ducked him though. That seems to be based upon the fact that they were from the same area and never fought - by the time they were seriously trying to make the match, Conn was after Louis. Even I won't criticise a man for fighting Joe Louis instead of Burley, that sure as shit isn't the easy option.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #53
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
1 - Joe Louis
2 - Sam Langford
3 - Mike Tyson