Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #16
Icemmann
Breakin it down.
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Tyson's Jab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
8 or 8.5 is ridiculously overrating his jab.

I mean, if we're rating inch for inch, then sure.

But in reality, someone who has an 8.5 out of 10 score for his jab should be able to dictate a fight with his jab alone. Tyson couldn't do that. He did nice against Tucker late with it, but i can't rank it higher than 7.
Actually, i'd rank it a 5 or a 6. I mean really, there are far worse fighters who did more with the jab than him. He's just too small to have an effective jab. And he easily made up for it in other departments.

Well you have to look at the context of how he was utilizing his jab. Thats the basis on how I was scoring his.

How much do you think his jab could improve?
Icemmann is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #17
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

By nothing or little. Considering his height and reach, he was physically incapable of having a fight-dictating jab. He used it great but was limited physically. If he would've used it more, it would've been at cost of hard power punches that were more effective. So you can't really blame Tyson, but it wasn't an imposing jab nonetheless. Sorry if i offended you earlier on.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #18
Icemmann
Breakin it down.
ESB Full Member

Quote:
By nothing or little. Considering his height and reach, he was physically incapable of having a fight-dictating jab. He used it great but was limited physically. If he would've used it more, it would've been at cost of hard power punches that were more effective. So you can't really blame Tyson, but it wasn't an imposing jab nonetheless. Sorry if i offended you earlier on.

Nah wasn't offended, just wasn't clear on wether you thought his jab could have been improved. Without changing his height, reach, and style, I don't see any dramatic way his jab could have been improved.

I'm aware that he wasn't capable of having a fight dictating jab, I said so in the other post, "He wasn't going to win any fights just off his jab, even if it was a 10. He didnt have the style for it."

I agree with the assement that worse fighters accomplished more with their jabs than him, but that was due to their styles. What I will say is if they optimized the effectiveness of their jab using it to it's maximum potential like the earlier version of Tyson did they would have been more sucessful fighters.
Icemmann is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #19
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Yeah, i agree there. He maximized whatever use there was in a jab for his size.

On a sidenote, jabbing is a great thing if you have the height and style for it, but for some guys it's just not meant to be. For instance, Samuel Peter has developed a pretty good jab and the ability to double/triple it up. That worked wonderful against a smaller fighter like James Toney (5'9). However, if he uses his newfound jab against Wladimir Klitschko (6'6), i think he's gonna get an even more vicious beating than he did the first time. He's never gonna outjab a big, skilled boxer; in those kind of fights he should just use his power and strength and go for broke with big shots.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #20
Icemmann
Breakin it down.
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Yeah, i agree there. He maximized whatever use there was in a jab for his size.

On a sidenote, jabbing is a great thing if you have the height and style for it, but for some guys it's just not meant to be. For instance, Samuel Peter has developed a pretty good jab and the ability to double/triple it up. That worked wonderful against a smaller fighter like James Toney (5'9). However, if he uses his newfound jab against Wladimir Klitschko (6'6), i think he's gonna get an even more vicious beating than he did the first time. He's never gonna outjab a big, skilled boxer; in those kind of fights he should just use his power and strength and go for broke with big shots.

If smart, he'd want to use that Jab to keep Klitsckho from effectively tying him up. If he used it as Tyson used his pre Rooney exile, he'd have better success. If he tried to just bull his way in, I see Wlad trying to keep him on the end of his jab, then clinching when Sam finaly does manage to get past it.

Effectively using his jab when coming in leaves Wlad with another threat he'd need to look out for, increasing the chance of one of Peters bombs landing.
Icemmann is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #21
godking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Laterlly it was pretty much non-exsistant, but what about the peak version?

What do you make of peak-Tyson's jab? If you rate it, relative to his reach, how do you explain it?
A peak Tyson outjabbed a 6,5 Tucker that in itself says how good Tysons jab was.
godking is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #22
prime
BOX! Writing Champion
ESB Senior Member

Tyson had an amazing jab. At one point in his fight with none other than jabber deluxe Larry Holmes, both threw out the jab and little Tyson's jab actually connected while Holmes' missed.

Tyson could fire it out straight, stiff and incredibly long. Of course, in Tyson's arsenal, the jab was basically the very effective opener for the heavy artillery. He would usually shoot it out two or three at a time, unsettling his opponent and then came the bombs.
prime is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #23
josak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime
Tyson could fire it out straight, stiff and incredibly long.

But ya, Tyson had a good jab. He knocked down Alonzo Ratliff with it.
josak is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 08:42 PM   #24
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
What would you score the chick in his avatar Bill? On Iceman's scale of course

Do you even need to ask? 15/10. She's bute!!!
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #25
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040

Part of the "problem" with his jab was that it was so powerful it would throw people out of range.
SteveO is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #26
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

I remember Holyfield lectured Michael Grant about the exact same thing, after he fought Bradley Rone in about '95...weird little comparison to come into my head!
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #27
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

I remember Mike backing Larry Holmes into the ring corner and stepping into the pocket stabbing home 2 fast jabs forcing Larry to almost run away from where he had been trapped. Mike knew how to place his feet when jabbing men who were far taller and had a much longer reach than him.. That first knockdown of Biggs was a great example.. Biggs 6 ft 5 .. 80 inch reach out jabbed by a self proclaimed midget.. at 5 ft 10.5.. Unheard of....

Mikes Jab was the product of years in the gym being driven by Cus D'amato.
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #28
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Legend
fag.
Dumb shit.
Bill1234 is offline  Top