Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3930
Default Masao Ohba-Miguel Canto

Ohba, as some might know, was the WBA flyweight champion at the time of his death. At 23, he was at, or near, his prime, and had scored a thrilling off the canvas victory over Chatchai Chianoi three weeks prior to his fatal auto accident. He'd already scored victories over Betulio Gonzalez and Fritz Chervet and Sasumu Hanagata & Vinice Borkasor was about ready to move up to bantamweight. So, who else was there for Ohba to face?

Well...

Miguel Canto was just starting to come into his own at this time. He'd just avenged to earlier blemishes by defeating Tarcisc Gomez for the Mexican flyweight title, and had drawn with a very tough Ignacio Espinal. He was already considered something of a defensive wizard...so how would he have fared had he met Ohba in 1973 (had masao lived)?

And, how do you think this fight would have gone prime-for-prime?
Drew101 is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Masao Ohba-Miguel Canto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101
Ohba, as some might know, was the WBA flyweight champion at the time of his death. At 23, he was at, or near, his prime, and had scored a thrilling off the canvas victory over Chatchai Chianoi three weeks prior to his fatal auto accident. He'd already scored victories over Betulio Gonzalez and Fritz Chervet and Sasumu Hanagata & Vinice Borkasor was about ready to move up to bantamweight. So, who else was there for Ohba to face?

Well...

Miguel Canto was just starting to come into his own at this time. He'd just avenged to earlier blemishes by defeating Tarcisc Gomez for the Mexican flyweight title, and had drawn with a very tough Ignacio Espinal. He was already considered something of a defensive wizard...so how would he have fared had he met Ohba in 1973 (had masao lived)?

And, how do you think this fight would have gone prime-for-prime?
Now here is a fantasy matchup that actually interests me, well done Drew!

I think Ohba would have had a hard time against Canto at any point in their respective careers, as Canto was so defensively sound and elusive, but I do think he had enough physical advantages over Canto to beat him. The way to beat Canto was to smother him and throw a high volume of punches to keep him constantly on the defensive, which was not really Ohba`s style although he could fight aggressively when the mood struck him. I think Harada had the perfect style to beat someone like Miguel, with his tremendous workrate and volume punching.

Ohba had the height and reach advantage over Canto, as well as having the superior jab in my opinion. Both fighters had great ring mobility, although I would give the slight edge to Canto in that regard. The key to victory for Ohba would be his jab, and he would have to keep throwing it all night to offset Canto`s rythmn and not let him get into his groove.

I see Ohba staying on the outside and constantly circling Canto while sticking out that great jab of his, and picking his spots as to when to come forward and force the fight. If Masao fights smart and uses his height and reach to maximum effect, I think he can win a close decision. But I can just as easily picture Canto frustrating the hell out of Ohba with his defensive prowess, and go on to win a decision too.

Whoever would win it would be very close on the cards, and I think a series of fights between these two is a very likely possibility here, as neither man would truly distinguish himself from the other in my opinion. If it comes down to a three fight series I really can`t tell who would win it, but I do know that every fight would be very close with the victor winning by the narrowest of margins.

I`ll go with Ohba by decision, even though Canto was the more proven performer of the two.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum