boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 85
Default When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

I always ask questions about fighter's primes time from time and would like Classic's opinion on this. I think Mosley's prime ended after the Forrest fights and De La Hoya's prime ended probably after the Hopkins fight. I love Mosley's prime you could tell he had a lil "Sugar" in him and with DLH, he was great to watch in his prime too.
techks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 85
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

Bumpity-bump-bump.
techks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

I think both their primes ended when they faced each other at 154 pounds. They both starting fighting a lot less consistently. DLH looked dreadful against Sturm and Mosley looked pretty lost against Wright.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,669
vCash: 1000
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

Its hard to say, Delahoya looked rejuvinated and had more bows to his string at 154lbs but physically he was at his best at 147, although his defense/right hand wasn't quite as cultured at that stage. When he went to 160lbs it was more because Hopkins/Sturm would bow to the wage demands that Mosley would not. It really showed because it certainly wasnt his weight class and after the Hopkins fight he was very innactive

With Mosley its a whole other kettle of fish, I'd say the first Oscar fight was his prime but Oscar did play into Shane's hands a little. At 154lbs Shane wasn't really putting his punches together aswell and didnt have the physical advantages but in the second Winky fight he did very very well and it was closer than most admit. After that he didn't get any big fights until Cotto years later when he had faded
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Nicky P
Jamiva Boxing
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

De La Hoya's prime may have ended around the time he fought Mosley.

It's hard for me to tell with Mosley because he's allways fighting his opponents fight. So he'll have poor showings like the one against Mayorga, and then he'll go and look amazing against Margarito.
Nicky P is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 85
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

Well Mayorga outweighed Shane by like 10 pounds so he was fighting at a disadvantage anyways. Good posts people this thread is going just like I thought it would.
techks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Nicky P
Jamiva Boxing
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techks View Post
Well Mayorga outweighed Shane by like 10 pounds so he was fighting at a disadvantage anyways. Good posts people this thread is going just like I thought it would.

Mayorga may have outweighed him, but Shane should've been able to box circles around MAyorga. Shane's got that machismo though. If his opponent stands and fights, Shane will do the same.
Nicky P is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 85
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky P View Post
Mayorga may have outweighed him, but Shane should've been able to box circles around MAyorga. Shane's got that machismo though. If his opponent stands and fights, Shane will do the same.
Shane's never been a boxer. I agree the jab would've made him an all-around threat but SSM just loves to slug it out. It's the Mexican Warrior in him.
techks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
Nicky P
Jamiva Boxing
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techks View Post
Shane's never been a boxer. I agree the jab would've made him an all-around threat but SSM just loves to slug it out. It's the Mexican Warrior in him.

Absolutely. I think my expections of Mosley were allways way too high because of the Sugar nickname.

Can you think of any examples of SSM outboxing opponents?
Nicky P is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 85
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky P View Post
Absolutely. I think my expections of Mosley were allways way too high because of the Sugar nickname.

Can you think of any examples of SSM outboxing opponents?
At the end of the day he will always be a "Sugar" and a future HOF'er but like the little brother not as skilled as his older brothers(SRL & SRR). Nothing wrong with that his "two brothers" are two of the greatest boxers in history with Robinson being mostly considered the greatest boxer of all-time. Mosley threw many jabs versus Antonio Diaz(watching it now) that's the most times I remember him jab and he did fight more like a boxer in that fight. The only example I can really use. Shane reminds me of a stronger version of Meldrick Taylor. Both can use the jab and had great speed but they just preferred to trade shots instead of making fights easier for them by boxing more.
techks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
Nicky P
Jamiva Boxing
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techks View Post
At the end of the day he will always be a "Sugar" and a future HOF'er but like the little brother not as skilled as his older brothers(SRL & SRR). Nothing wrong with that his "two brothers" are two of the greatest boxers in history with Robinson being mostly considered the greatest boxer of all-time. Mosley threw many jabs versus Antonio Diaz(watching it now) that's the most times I remember him jab and he did fight more like a boxer in that fight. The only example I can really use. Shane reminds me of a stronger version of Meldrick Taylor. Both can use the jab and had great speed but they just preferred to trade shots instead of making fights easier for them by boxing more.


Love the Meldrick Taylor comparison. They both have the ability to outbox most opponents but instead choose to go to war.

Right, and no shame in being the 3rd best Sugar after the other 2 greats.

I'll check out the Diaz fight. Thanks.
Nicky P is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Posts: 6,865
vCash: 1000
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

Mosley couldn't outbox ****.
itrymariti is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 1000
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrymariti View Post
Mosley couldn't outbox ****.
I have to agree. Shane Mosley rides on a wave of goodwill on this forum, on the basis that he has a fight-anyone attitude and seems to be a thoroughly good guy, but the fact is that his win resume is anoxeric and as a fighter he was very limited. Oscar boxed rings round him second time they met, I think that night was the end of Shane's prime; even though a bigger, stronger, better technician like Winky Wright would always have beaten him anyway.
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 85
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky P View Post
Love the Meldrick Taylor comparison. They both have the ability to outbox most opponents but instead choose to go to war.

Right, and no shame in being the 3rd best Sugar after the other 2 greats.

I'll check out the Diaz fight. Thanks.
You're welcome. Don't think Mosley threw more jabs inany order fight than the Diaz fight.
techks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 85
Default Re: When did Mosley's & DLH's primes end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrymariti View Post
Mosley couldn't outbox ****.
Yes he could. His problem is that he relied on "Power boxing" too much. He had the potential to be a good boxer-puncher and that probably would've helped his career more but instead he stuck to being a slugger.
techks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015