Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
CzarKyle
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default A few questions about Aaron Pryor...

1. He was in a ripe era of excellent fighters and champions. What held him from fighting the Hearns, Leonards, and Durans of the time?

2. His style looks like he'd give a lot of people some trouble. But how would he fair against fighters like Hearns, Leonard, and Duran (feel free to add other fighters he make interesting era-based fights in)?

3. And lastly, what potential superfights did he have on the table in that time?

I've just been deleting files off my laptop and I hit a small trove of Pryor titles fights. So I watched him against Kameda and Hyun Kim and it was like watching a bull in a china shop. He charged the fighter until he got tagged when someone was able to withstand the shots and throw something back. His flash knockdown he recieved from Kameda was hilarious, seeing Pryor do a backwards somersault to land back on his feet to charge back towards the game challenger. I'm interesting to see how the fight would have went if there wasn't a mandatory 8-count.

p.s. Are there any other fighters that used a charging windmill style like Pryors? Sometimes he'd be moving so fast he would land three shots in a row from different angles. His footwork during combinations was interesting to look at.

Last edited by Asterion; 09-14-2006 at 06:24 PM.
CzarKyle is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 469
Default Re: A few questions about Aaron Pryor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarKyle
1. He was in a ripe era of excellent fighters and champions. What held him from fighting the Hearns, Leonards, and Durans of the time?
He was too small, and then injured his eye preparing for the Arguello rematch. Post ArguelloII personal demons (crack) held him back as well.

Quote:
3. And lastly, what potential superfights did he have on the table in that time?
Leonard had retired before Pryor became a viable opponent financially. Duran and Hearns had moved up to 154lbs. Curry was still establishing himself and Camacho was a little too small. By the time Bramble was hot, Pryor was not...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 02:22 AM   #3
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad Spencer
Leonard ducked him
Oh come on, Benny was many years before Pryor.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 04:56 AM   #4
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

Without Alexis Arguello Aaron Pryor would be an insignificant footnote in boxing history. Due to his drug addiction his time at the top was very short. It's really a shame because in that first fight with Arguello he showed the stuff of legends. Even a ring weary Arguello fighting 2 divisions above his best weight was ONE HELLUVA FIGHTER, and Pryor beat him twice.

Boo
booradley is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 05:17 AM   #5
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Oh come on, Benny was many years before Pryor.
1990 Aaron against Benny would of been pick-em, despite Leonard having the notable handicap of being dead for 40 odd years. I think it would of taken The Hawk all 12 rounds just to find Leonard in the ring, his eyes were that bad.
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum