Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 PM   #16
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tyson vs Tillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket
tony tucker won 2 of the first 3 rounds and by the fifth was in survival mode. tillis did better
Tucker main weakness was lack of fire. If he was a bit more agressive in the ring, he could have been better.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2007, 01:21 AM   #17
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario
i've never seen this fight in its entirety and this maybe a dumb queston but was tyson's victory convincing? did he clearly win? i keep hearin about this fight but i keep thinkin to myself that the only reason its talked about is solely cuz he went the distance for the first time and simply did not knock out tillis, any thoughts?
Actually, I thought this fight was quite close. I think people have a skewed perspective because they look at it as being a fight that's not going to be competitive and imagine Tyson's punches must be having 10 times as much effect as Tillis', but really, through much of the match, Tillis lands a number of clean uppercuts and solid straight shots and Tyson struggles to connect. If one doesn't automatically give Tyson a 10-8 for the fourth round knockdown(which was a flash knockdown at the end of a round Tillis had been winning), I don't think it would be ridiculous to score it a draw.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #18
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Tucker main weakness was lack of fire. If he was a bit more agressive in the ring, he could have been better.
If he didn't have a knee injury that took him out for 13 months and drug problems, he definitely would have fullfilled the predictions for him.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #19
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

My dinner with Conteh once gave what I feel to be an accurate summary of Tucker, which was comparing him to Joe Bugner. Both were big athletic fighters with a fair amount of talent, but neither had much tenacity, and both were more or less safety first type guys. There are two possible scenarios here. Either Tucker would have been better if he had a bit more enthusiasm and fire in the ring, or he might have been worse had he abandoned the safety first style that got him to 35-0. We'll never know for sure. One thing is certain, that his losing 15 months of his career between 1983 and 1984, plus his drug problems and hand injury against Tyson, did not help him. He also took some time off after the Tyson fight, which may not have been in his best interest either. Tucker in my opinion was another heavyweight from the 80's who had potential that likely went unfulfilled. Some of it was his own doing, while the other part was boxing's.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #20
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
Aye, that's about right. At least Tillis made a better fist of it than Tucker.
WHAT!!!!!!

Tucker fought Mike and used some displays of power in doing it..

He stood in there and did what almost everyone thought he wouldn't , he wasn't over cautious and got Mikes respect.. Tony was an oustanding fighter who could have been champ for a longer period in any other era..

Tillis did ok.. he won a few rounds through shrewd silky movement.. Primarily though , James retreated a lot.. But in comparrison to the Tucker fight.... Make no mistakes .. TNT owned that one..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #21
JIm Broughton
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I saw that fight and was a little surprised at how Tillis made Mike look rather green at times during the bout. Mike won for sure but as someone else posted on this site (And Alex Wallau stated during the bout) it appeared that Tillis showed everyone the formula to beat Tyson, namely stick and move and tie him up in close. Left jab and right cross. Sounds a bit like the way Ali described how he would beat George Foreman after the Foreman/Norton fight to Bob Sheridan at ringside and was later shown by Buster Douglas in Tokyo.
JIm Broughton is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #22
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Anyone else think this fight was Tillis' shining moment?

It was just after he found out that he had all of the food allergies, after all, and he was most likely in the best physical shape of his career.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 05:44 PM   #23
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianttwilight
Anyone else think this fight was Tillis' shining moment?

No.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #24
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
No.
Maybe his win over Shavers and he did okay for awhile against Greg Page.
Titan1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum