Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
James23
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Eastern U.S.
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 1218
Default Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

This is getting a bit stupid, so let me correct all you tards screaming that Randy should have to fight in a boxing match to "make it even".

MMA is an equal ground. You can do anything. You're not limited to singular skill sets. Toney, or any boxer, can use their boxing, but no one has to box with them. Just like Randy, or any wrestler, can use their wrestling, but you don't have to wrestle with them.

Do you see the difference yet?

If they had a wrestling match where Toney was forced to comply with Randy's greatest strength, then yes, your argument holds weight, but they didn't. We know what the result would be either way. If Randy fights James in a boxing match, James wins. If James competes against Randy in a wrestling match, Randy wins.

Now, if they compete in a contest where they can each do their own thing, then it's equal starting ground and Randy won.

Any other questions?
James23 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,713
vCash: 847
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

Agreed.

Also, Randy isn`t going around saying he could beat boxers at their own game. It was Toney saying that he would beat the top MMA heavyweights.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,780
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

Exactly.
Jazzo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:30 AM   #4
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

Fail.


MMA is a sport. Randy Couture is an MMA fighter.

Boxing is a sport. James Toney is a boxer.



Randy Couture and James Toney fought in an MMA fight under MMA rules.

100% advantage Couture.



Should Toney and Couture fight in a boxing match now?

Nope. Because then it would be the opposite, it would be 100% advantage Toney. And fights with 100% advantages are completely pointless, they degrade whichever sport they take place in.



From now on, MMA fighters should fight MMA fighters, boxers should fight boxers, and everyone should stay in their element and have fair, competitive fights, no more freakshow mismatches.
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
VIP
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ...So was I crazy? or was I crazy as a fox?
Posts: 1,591
vCash: 345
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

Randy has had like 30 MMA fights. MMA favors wrestlers because most fights end up on the ground.

But I agree that it's stupid for a return match in boxing. Ain't none of these guys anywhere near a top level boxer.
VIP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
James23
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Eastern U.S.
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 1218
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Fail.


MMA is a sport. Randy Couture is an MMA fighter.

Boxing is a sport. James Toney is a boxer.



Randy Couture and James Toney fought in an MMA fight under MMA rules.

100% advantage Couture.



Should Toney and Couture fight in a boxing match now?

Nope. Because then it would be the opposite, it would be 100% advantage Toney. And fights with 100% advantages are completely pointless, they degrade whichever sport they take place in.



From now on, MMA fighters should fight MMA fighters, boxers should fight boxers, and everyone should stay in their element and have fair, competitive fights, no more freakshow mismatches.
No, sir. You fail. Terribly.

MMA is simply the combination of styles. The moment James started doing anything other then boxing, he became a mixed martial artist. A novice one, but still just that.

Randy is a wrestler turned mixed martial artist. He's more experienced and well rounded. Hence his advantage.

A boxer can do well in MMA just like everyone else who puts in the time learning and perfecting the other necessary skills. Like Couture has. As I said, it's equal ground to build from. Randy started with wrestling, Toney with boxing. They both have their base and built off that.

Of course they fought in an MMA fight under MMA rules. It's the only thing that allows them both to do what they're best at doing. Pretty sure I delineated this clearly in my original post. Maybe you should read it again.

Your logic is horrid at best. Please don't try again.
James23 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
Chucky
BDJ
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 358
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

Exactly what I expected.
Chucky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
James23
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Eastern U.S.
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 1218
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP View Post
Randy has had like 30 MMA fights. MMA favors wrestlers because most fights end up on the ground.

But I agree that it's stupid for a return match in boxing. Ain't none of these guys anywhere near a top level boxer.
Well, I think you could broaden that statement and simply say that grappling is generally more successful in application then striking. Not always, mind you. But generally speaking, everything we've seen shows this to be true.

MMA tends to favor grapplers. Now strikers who learn grappling have a much better chance, but then they become mixed martial artists. That's the whole point. Take what you're good at and make it more effective by learning other styles and counter appropriately and even begin to apply other techniques.
James23 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:56 AM   #9
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James23 View Post
No, sir. You fail. Terribly.

MMA is simply the combination of styles. The moment James started doing anything other then boxing, he became a mixed martial artist. A novice one, but still just that.

Randy is a wrestler turned mixed martial artist. He's more experienced and well rounded. Hence his advantage.

A boxer can do well in MMA just like everyone else who puts in the time learning and perfecting the other necessary skills. Like Couture has. As I said, it's equal ground to build from. Randy started with wrestling, Toney with boxing. They both have their base and built off that.

Of course they fought in an MMA fight under MMA rules. It's the only thing that allows them both to do what they're best at doing. Pretty sure I delineated this clearly in my original post. Maybe you should read it again.

Your logic is horrid at best. Please don't try again.
Nah, you continue to fail and embarrass yourself.

Boxing is a discipline.
Wrestling is a discipline.

And MMA is also a discipline.

MMA is not a mix of separate disciplines, only people who do not understand MMA think this.

A great MMA fighter has boxing skills, wrestling skills, jiu-jitsu skills etc, but these have all been adapted into an MMA framework. A great MMA fighter does not box like a boxer (because his front leg would be wide open for kicks and takedowns), a great MMA fighter does not wrestle like a wrestler or practice jiu-jitsu like a pure bjj practitioner (because they must always be aware of striking, etc).

MMA is a hybrid, but it is in itself an individual discipline nowadays. That's why a pure boxer or a pure wrestler or a pure BJJ practitioner would never have success in the sport nowadays - as has been proven tonight.


The parts of your post that I have highlighted in red are truly embarrassing comments to be made on an MMA forum, you clearly do not understand this sport at all.

I would stay and continue to educate you, but I'd prefer to converse with someone who actually knows what MMA is. Good luck with the rest of this, er, thread
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:03 AM   #10
kirk
C1
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ill swallow my Blood before i swallow my Pride
Posts: 25,159
vCash: 1001
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

A couture vs toney boxing match is as stupid as this farce was.... and couture has no obligation to do so.
kirk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #11
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
A couture vs toney boxing match is as stupid as this farce was.... and couture has no obligation to do so.
Exactly.
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:06 AM   #12
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,713
vCash: 847
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
A couture vs toney boxing match is as stupid as this farce was.... and couture has no obligation to do so.
Couture pretty much said this in the post fight press conference.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #13
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,184
vCash: 75
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James23 View Post
This is getting a bit stupid, so let me correct all you tards screaming that Randy should have to fight in a boxing match to "make it even".

MMA is an equal ground. You can do anything.
No you can't, you can't do anything eg head butting is banned is it not?

It limits and favours certain skills.

In the arena and setting it is made up in, one could say it favours wrestling.

eg If you went wrestling someone in the road in a real brawl, on concrete, perhaps involving a group of people, you'd be very vunerible, in the MMA environment wrestling thrives perhaps more so than others, so it is clearly geared one way, intentionally or not.
JonOli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:09 AM   #14
James23
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Eastern U.S.
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 1218
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Nah, you continue to fail and embarrass yourself.

Boxing is a discipline.
Wrestling is a discipline.

And MMA is also a discipline.

MMA is not a mix of separate disciplines, only people who do not understand MMA think this.

A great MMA fighter has boxing skills, wrestling skills, jiu-jitsu skills etc, but these have all been adapted into an MMA framework. A great MMA fighter does not box like a boxer (because his front leg would be wide open for kicks and takedowns), a great MMA fighter does not wrestle like a wrestler or practice jiu-jitsu like a pure bjj practitioner (because they must always be aware of striking, etc).

MMA is a hybrid, but it is in itself an individual discipline nowadays. That's why a pure boxer or a pure wrestler or a pure BJJ practitioner would never have success in the sport nowadays - as has been proven tonight.


The parts of your post that I have highlighted in red are truly embarrassing comments to be made on an MMA forum, you clearly do not understand this sport at all.

I would stay and continue to educate you, but I'd prefer to converse with someone who actually knows what MMA is. Good luck with the rest of this, er, thread
No. I told you not to try again, and you did anyway...just terrible.

I agree with most of what you've said, but MMA is relatively new. It is just now becoming a style in itself. If you've got no combat training experience then yes, you can become a pure mixed martial artist. But, other then that, you're a boxer/thai fighter/wrestler/BJJ fighter/Karate stylist turned mixed martial artist. You begin with a base and branch out into other styles. That is how it's worked for 99% of all MMA fighters today. Myself included.

And yes, I agree. A pure anything isn't going to have success at the highest levels. I must have missed where I said they would. Please, point that out to me. I did say that MMA competition tends to favor grapplers. This is undisputable. Grappling gives you the greatest control over a fight. What I will say is that a pure grappler will have a greater chance then a pure striker.

So, sir, you please educate yourself before you try and talk back to someone who has been involved in martial arts since they were 4 years old and has been actively training in Mixed Martial Arts for over 5 years.

Please, take my advice this time, like you should have last time. Do not try again.
James23 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:11 AM   #15
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Randy Couture should fight James Toney in a Boxing Match. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli View Post
No you can't, you can't do anything eg head butting is banned is it not?

It limits and favours certain skills.

In the arena and setting it is made up in, it favours wrestling.

eg If you went wrestling someone in the road in a real brawl, on concrete, perhaps involving a group of people, you'd be very vunerible, in the MMA environment wrestling thrives.
The TS is talking about MMA as if it's still UFC1, FFS!!!

He clearly hasn't learned the very obvious lesson that tonight should have taught everyone about people from different disciplines trying MMA.
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013