Old 08-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #76
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing Ashes between Australia and England when cricket ashes is on

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Yea it's great to see the Commonwealth title get a mention down under, iv'e been educating myself regarding Australian boxing on this section of E S B for about two years now Rodin and was surprised that despite this historic title being held in high regard by "Us older" fans of the sport it was hardly ever mentioned on this board let alone being fought for by the lads down under, I began talking to Ashley about a Commonwealth tourny about a year ago now and i'm glad to see something finally stir in its regard.
Wow was it that long ago...it's taken some time but it will get off the ground
ashley is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2010, 03:19 AM   #77
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
Mate, I've loved that title since I don't know when, but the Tony Mundine Bunny Sterling draw was a huge disappointment to me. It was like a WT in my eyes.

I think that there would be more than a few fans that would be surprised how hard it is to win.
Both Rose & Fammo won it.
It's also up there in one of the worse dicisions we've copped when the referee raised a surprised Chris Pyatts hand against Kevin "Bones" Kelly.
Even the ringside boys said "What fight was he watching?" (Referee)

Most wouldn't query how Mick Katsidas got so hot so quick in the states, but Graham Earl had won the title off Kevin bennett & was the holder when Mick beat him.
I'm of the firm belief that taking that title to the states more than pumps their resume'

IMO it's a real medal.
Rodin i agree its no secret that the Common Wealth title of yesteryear was a lot stronger and should quiet rightly be considered a quality title back then , these days however due to blokes fighting for Mickey Mouse plastic belts it has somewhat had it's value diminished , I reckon this Sonny fella has seen it's potential value and you can't fault the fellers desire but IF he is struggling with the likes of Jungle boy then he will get smashed to bits when he comes up against the current holders of the Commonwealth Middleweight and S/Middleweight titles imo . well certainly smashed v Groves , he might fair better v Murray . lol

Ash
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2010, 04:15 AM   #78
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ganoy on this show as well. He fights rabah first in oct.
perfect jet is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2010, 05:20 AM   #79
Rodin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Rodin i agree its no secret that the Common Wealth title of yesteryear was a lot stronger and should quiet rightly be considered a quality title back then , these days however due to blokes fighting for Mickey Mouse plastic belts it has somewhat had it's value diminished , I reckon this Sonny fella has seen it's potential value and you can't fault the fellers desire but IF he is struggling with the likes of Jungle boy then he will get smashed to bits when he comes up against the current holders of the Commonwealth Middleweight and S/Middleweight titles imo . well certainly smashed v Groves , he might fair better v Murray . lol

Ash

I think you mean Junior Talipeau Josie. He fought Sonni (Who recently changed his name).
Mate Sonni is a brawling unpredictable rebel who has got away with far too much nonsense that he goes on with in a fight.
He has been thru more gyms than Everlast & hasn't improved (Where many believe there is plenty there if he wasn't so irrational)

Comm. belt
I don't think the plastic belts have diminished it, on the contrary, they take the easy route with the plastic.
That was my point about Katsidas.
These belts give you a rating but not potential & that's what sells a fight.
The Comm belt is a real level setter. In most cases, if you win it, it gives US promotors a much better guage because few get that far without having fought tough opponents.

JMO
Rodin is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #80
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
I think you mean Junior Talipeau Josie. He fought Sonni (Who recently changed his name).
Mate Sonni is a brawling unpredictable rebel who has got away with far too much nonsense that he goes on with in a fight.
He has been thru more gyms than Everlast & hasn't improved (Where many believe there is plenty there if he wasn't so irrational)

Comm. belt
I don't think the plastic belts have diminished it, on the contrary, they take the easy route with the plastic.
That was my point about Katsidas.
These belts give you a rating but not potential & that's what sells a fight.
The Comm belt is a real level setter. In most cases, if you win it, it gives US promotors a much better guage because few get that far without having fought tough opponents.

JMO
Yes sorry mate my bad i meant Junior and ive know of Sonny Angelo since he started posting here Rodin if he (Junior) were to win a Commonwealth title would the Australian boxing public and the World boxing ABC's rate it in higher regard than WBA "international J/Middle title Anthony Mundine holds ? That was what i meant about plastic belts , Ippy kindly explained to me that these regional titles were getting blokes higher rankings with the ABC's hence my comment about the Commonwealth title being regarded as a lesser belt than the Plastic ABC shite out there , i am with you though in thinking the Commonwealth title has a proud historic tradition and it's profile should be raised .
Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #81
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Josey,

Not sure if its been mentioned in here or not...Im hearing two poms who will be involved in this promotion are cello renda and sam horton??? And renda has a massive punch but no chin. If its a hatton co promo, it will be on his ppv site.
perfect jet is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #82
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect jet View Post
Josey,

Not sure if its been mentioned in here or not...Im hearing two poms who will be involved in this promotion are cello renda and sam horton??? And renda has a massive punch but no chin. If its a hatton co promo, it will be on his ppv site.
Check Sams fight with DeGale Jet ,

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV-EYnCf9V0[/ame]

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum