TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 346
Default Haumono: Albury to be Australia’s boxing hub

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Former NRL star turned pro boxer Solomon Haumono will prepare for his bout with Pieter Cronje in Albury. Picture: PETER MERKESTEYN
Haumono: Albury to be Australia’s boxing hub

JAKE BOURKE
10 Sep, 2010 12:00 AM
FORMER NRL star turned professional boxer Solomon Haumono aims to turn Albury into the hub of Australian boxing.
Haumono is the current OPBF heavyweight champion and this week joined his world-renowned manager, Mark Janssen, in Albury to start training ahead of his bout with Pieter Cronje in Brisbane on October 14.
With aspirations of becoming the first Australian-based fighter to win the world heavyweight title, Haumono said Albury was the ideal place to base his training.
“Albury is a lovely place that is known for its talents across many different sports and hopefully boxing can be another,” he said.
“It’s a great opportunity for me and the local people have been very welcoming so far and have really ... embraced what we are trying to do.
“It’s an exciting time for me.”
After a number of injury and management issues, Haumono has put his worries behind him and is focusing solely on his gruelling training schedule in the lead-up to the fight.
“I’m really looking forward to it and have been building towards it,” Haumono said.
“I have been inactive for a while now because of a little bit of an elbow injury and a few other things have fallen through, which has set me back a bit but I’m just looking forward to getting back into it all.
“I’ll keep working on the skills I need to and ... take it step by step.
“I dream of being world champion and I think I have a real chance and possibility of making that dream a reality.”
Haumono’s manager Janssen has trained and promoted some of the world’s best fighters and has strong connections with legendary promoter Don King.
King’s son Erik will arrive in Albury early next week to help promote Haumono in a massive coup for the area.
“It’s fantastic to have someone of Erik’s stature helping us out,” Janssen said.
“His father is the greatest promoter in the history of boxing and he has fantastic contacts. “I’m grateful that Erik has shown such strong belief in myself and Solomon and he will be out looking for local talent while he is here
Perhaps BJs coming to Albury also?

Not sure what camp they are training out from, gym wise in Albury, all footage on TV looked like pre recorded stuff in his trainers backyard setup. Not to many gyms around here and none with full sized boxing ring so im unsure what they are doing for sparring wise, they will have to bring someone in and it will have to be in smaller rings or open space sparring.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum