boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #16
Woddy

vCash:
Default Re: How good of a fight could ****ey have given Tyson in 1986?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
The thing here to is that Holmes took the sensible super cautious route vs ****ey. He had him possibly ready to go early but remained cautious, if he let loose she might be goodnight. Holmes may have made ****ey look better by simply giving him plenty of time to compete. It's reasonable that Holmes might have taken ****ey out easily
True, the fact that Holmes decked ****ey in the second round was a telltale sign that Gerry's balance and durability were highly in question, especially considering that Holmes was no banger, and at the age of 32 may very well have been past his prime.

Stylistically though, ****ey may have been a small threat to Tyson at his best ( but not in 1986 ). Tyson was not 6'3 the way that Holmes was, and in fact would have stood a full 8 inches shorter than ****ey. He would not have had the luxury of picking ****ey apart from a distance, nor benefited from facing an inactive ****ey, who's confidence was torn from years of drinking and stewing over the Holmes loss, the way that Spinks and Foreman had. Tyson also fought at a lower center of gravity, and when moving in, may have been subjected to getting tagged with some of those hooks and uppercuts that ****ey threw. If the timing was right, and Tyson walked into a very powerful ****ey left, he might have been put into jeopardy. I can think of another tall fella with a pretty solid left hook/uppercut that gave Tyson trouble, who's name was Razor Ruddock. Remember, this would not be about who the better fighter actually was, but an issue of styles and physical differences.

Nevertheless, Tyson should be heavily favored to destroy ****ey, but in the unlikely event that Gerry showed up with the ***** to wage war, he might have given Mike some problems, at least at his best.

Last edited by Woddy; 11-17-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2007, 11:41 PM   #17
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
The thing here to is that Holmes took the sensible super cautious route vs ****ey. He had him possibly ready to go early but remained cautious, if he let loose she might be goodnight. Holmes may have made ****ey look better by simply giving him plenty of time to compete. It's reasonable that Holmes might have taken ****ey out easily
I agree. Larry was very cautious early on because he knew that ****ey had a left hook from hell, and knew and stated that ****ey had dynamite behind each and every punch, even the jab. I don't think Tyson would be cautious, and would just come flying out as usual, although he would probably get tagged with a nasty left hook here or there, but other than that it would be all him.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #18
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
I agree. Larry was very cautious early on because he knew that ****ey had a left hook from hell, and knew and stated that ****ey had dynamite behind each and every punch, even the jab. I don't think Tyson would be cautious, and would just come flying out as usual, although he would probably get tagged with a nasty left hook here or there, but other than that it would be all him.
He might smother ****ey's hook i think and stuff his timing. KO1 would not surprise whatsoever.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 12:05 AM   #19
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

****ey would be made to order for Tyson.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #20
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He might smother ****ey's hook i think and stuff his timing. KO1 would not surprise whatsoever.
It wouldn't surprise me either, but I think he might get a hook in to the body due to his size.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #21
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
It wouldn't surprise me either, but I think he might get a hook in to the body due to his size.
****ey being 6'7 is actually an advantage for Tyson, who would destroy him via the body.

Factor in ****ey's lack of durability and this makes for an easy night for Mike.

Razor Ruddock was ten times as durable as ****ey, and he still lost both fights with an older Tyson.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #22
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The one was a BS stoppage though, but I know what your getting at.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #23
biglads
Climbing the WBO Rankings
ESB Senior Member

I don't see this as much of a contest. Tyson by early KO, might be a bit of a Carl Williams night.
biglads is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 01:52 PM   #24
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The ***** in Gerry's armor would surface against Tyson, who would administer a frightful, one way beat down, and crush Gerry in 4 or 5. There would be several knockdowns against ****ey, but Tyson would have taken everything from Gerry very well. Tyson was on top of the world back then, and Gerry ****ey would have had no chance. Tyson would have enjoyed this one because of all the ballyhoo about Gerry before the fight.
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum