Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Boxing Classes

I'm thinking of joining a boxing gym in the next few weeks and I was wondering what a basic class consists of? I know it's best to go watch a few lessons, but what's a normal class layout for everyone here?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
MrSmall
Journeyman

Default Re: Boxing Classes

Warmup for 10 mins, jogging and stretching and bouncy things, 1min jumprope / 1min shadowbox / repeat thrice.

Then it's 10 x 2 minute rounds.
Some bag, some pads, some speedbag, some slipbag.

Then it's some calisthenics.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Rakim
Captain ****wit

vCash: 6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™
I'm thinking of joining a boxing gym in the next few weeks and I was wondering what a basic class consists of? I know it's best to go watch a few lessons, but what's a normal class layout for everyone here?

Good stuff, I wish I could be arsed to start up again.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
ralphc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Check out their amateur record. Gyms that teach group classes tend not to produce winners. Boxing is an individual sport and the training should by individual as well.
ralphc is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Filmnpuck
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphc
Check out their amateur record. Gyms that teach group classes tend not to produce winners. Boxing is an individual sport and the training should by individual as well.
I don't think this is necessarily true. Group classes are fine for beginners. As you go along and if you want to compete, of course, you'll need some more focused attention in one-on-ones with a trainer or in smaller groups. In fact, I think you'd be kind of hard-pressed to find a gym that didn't recommend a beginner group class for beginners.
Filmnpuck is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
Filmnpuck
Journeyman

Quote:
And to answer your question, it varies from gym to gym, sometimes even class to class. At my first gym, there was a class that was quite intense. Shadowboxing, a lot of back-and-forth contact drills, a few sprints, push-ups and crunches, etc. There was another class on another night with a different instructor that was all technique. (And I mean ALL technique. I don't think I broke a sweat before I had spent more than a month with this instructor. Later on, he really kicked it up a notch as you got more experience, and it became very intense as well.)

My best suggestion is, if you're worried about not being in shape, get yourself on a cardio schedule in the meantime. Also work in some crunches and push-ups. I don't think they'll expect you to be in prime physical condition the moment you walk in the door.
Filmnpuck is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

When I teach classes, I normally go with this regime. It was also what my coach made me do.

warmup 3 Rounds jumprope 1-2 rounds shadowboxing
Depending if it's a new student or more experianced student, I will teach a certain aspect of boxing (aka, offence, defence, counters, ect ect)
Then I'll make them apply it through partner drills for a few rounds.
Then normally if its a group of like 3-4 people I will rotate them out. One of heavybag, one on speed bag, one on me with pads 2 rounds on each.
Then put them through some footwork and punching drills like duck rope, line drills, ring circles ect.
Then for the last 20-30 min of a normally 1.5 hour lesson, I'll have them spar (only if I think they are ready, normally give newcomers a month of formal training first before sparring)
Normally don't do core conditioning with a class. Don't have time for that in the short 1.5 hour lesson, so thats something they have to train on there own or in a conditioning class. Plus the boxing itself is conditioning.
gregsid is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing