Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-19-2007, 04:30 AM   #16
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Harry Wills is almost always rated above Peter Jackson on HW lists...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker
Yeah, i have heard that. I havent looked into it in great detail, how bad was the ankle and cold?
It is hard to say but the injury did stop him training ten days prior to the fight.

Jackson hurt his ankle falling from a cart and probably at least lost some mobility and perhaps some pop in his punches as well.

I asume the cold was prety bad if it was enough of a factor to come to atrntion. Rocky Marciano had a cold for the Lee Savold fight and he looked awfull, barley able to coordinate his punches.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 04:34 AM   #17
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Harry Wills is almost always rated above Peter Jackson on HW lists...

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Rocky Marciano had a cold for the Lee Savold fight and he looked awfull, barley able to coordinate his punches.
He didn't look that great against ****ell either. I think the KO club came from a forearm in that fight lol

For sure the punches looked off!
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 04:36 AM   #18
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker
I am not as convinced as others that he would have necessarilly beat John L Sullivan, particularly in his prime.
I guess that as Sullivan gets older there must come a window of oportunity when Jackson is able to take him but Corbett is not yet ready to.

If this happens then any Jackson Corbett fight for the title would be on Jacksons terms and at Jacksons convenience.
janitor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2007, 04:38 AM   #19
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoMarciano
He didn't look that great against ****ell either. I think the KO club came from a forearm in that fight lol

For sure the punches looked off!
At one point in the fight Marciano missed Savold with a punch and fell flat on his face. I think he honestly looked better even in the ****le fight. I think he had to slug through the fog to win that one.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 04:41 AM   #20
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
At one point in the fight Marciano missed Savold with a punch and fell flat on his face. I think he honestly looked better even in the ****le fight. I think he had to slug through the fog to win that one.

He didn't always do things the best, but he always had the drive to do what he did.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:21 AM   #21
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoMarciano

He didn't always do things the best, but he always had the drive to do what he did.
Sam Silverman ,who promoted some of Rockys fights ,said he could look just as bad against a third rater ,as a top guy.He certainly looked bad against the aging Savold,the Ring magazine roasted Rocky for that performance.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 05:31 AM   #22
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Sam Silverman ,who promoted some of Rockys fights ,said he could look just as bad against a third rater ,as a top guy.He certainly looked bad against the aging Savold,the Ring magazine roasted Rocky for that performance.
Rocky was never a Ring "darling" in his time, to say the least. (Nat would've told you that)

Regardless of how Rocky got it done, he got it done. And I'm the first to admit he looked awful at times doing it!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:02 AM   #23
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

I've read (more closely than before) a number of intriguing articles about him over the past week or so (some from the countless past editions of Ring Mag which my dad collected years ago, which he passed on to me once he'd exhausted 'em). As well as other books I have).

Judging by the impressions and info I gleaned plus his resume I think a Top 20 place can definitely be justified (it's just a lack of footage thing with most of the old-timers.) His career speaks for itself.

Still can't decide exactly where to place him, then again I have Wills there, so along with Langford Jackson would be on the borderline.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #24
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

jackson didn't have very many fights comparable to wills, but he beat the higher ranked competition, and got a chance at one of the top contenders in corbett, and arguably merits a higher ranking due to this.

jackson would probably have beaten sullivan in the early 1890's, but so would have corbett and slavin and possibly goddard so that's no big insight into his abilities.
amhlilhaus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum