Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #16
Doomas
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 680
Default Re: Most Damaging Single Punch- Cross or Hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Mac
ok? Which discovery channel show was this?
Dont remeber, (maby it shouldnt be called show, my english isnt that good), it had some other martial arts athletes there too, calculating speed of punch and power of kick. They used car crash testing devices of some sort, and if I remember correctly they calculated ~800 pounds behind boxers punch.
Doomas is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #17
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

So 800 ft lbs is enough to kill a guy? Shit I've been hit with a lot of hard rights and it hasn't killed me yet. It seems to me you'd have to be a freak of nature to hit someone hard enough to kill them outright, i mean sure it's been done before but those are exceptions. If the average joes right hand could kill a guy boxing would probably be outlawed.
Little_Mac is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #18
Doomas
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Mac
So 800 ft lbs is enough to kill a guy? Shit I've been hit with a lot of hard rights and it hasn't killed me yet. It seems to me you'd have to be a freak of nature to hit someone hard enough to kill them outright, i mean sure it's been done before but those are exceptions. If the average joes right hand could kill a guy boxing would probably be outlawed.
I see whats your saying, but put average joe in front of some power puncher blind fold him to make sure hes not ready for a punch, and you might see a one hit kill.
Some time ago I read an article about some bum killing teenager with one punch becouse he hit him with a snowball (bum was ex boxer).
So I do belive that its possible, afterall ,800 pounds cought flush on your chin most definetly gona damage your brain.

Back to topic, I think right cross generates more power since you put more weight behind it, and punch follows through more easly since its a straight punch and any resistance thats in the way is absorbed by all body, while hook depends more on your shoulder strength.
Doomas is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2007, 01:15 AM   #19
jimmy1991
Contender
ESB Senior Member

depends on the fighter
jimmy1991 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 04:04 AM   #20
slo100
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 200

If you're talking about the documentary "National Geographic fightscience" which I think you are they said nothing about the boxers weight, he looked like a heavyweight or very near to it, he hit with 1000 pounds of pressure and they said out of all the other martial arts hand strikes tested in the experiment that was the only one which they could pretty much guarantee would cause a knock out, not death. However the only times i've heard of people dying from one punch in a street fight is either if they fall straight back and hit the back of their head on the road/concrete or if they get a really savage hook that breaks the neck.
slo100 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 AM   #21
slo100
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 200

I'd like to add my own question by the way.. I always wonder why is the left hook such a powerful punch for an orthadox fighter assuming he is right handed, wouldn't the right hook be just as good if not better? I guess I need someone to explain the kenetic flow of the left hook with the right foot back.
slo100 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 03:18 PM   #22
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

An orthodox fighters left hook is considered better because of the nature of the punch. Simply put, a left hook is better because your left side is closer. A right hook might possibly be more powerful, but they leave you VERY open to a counter and telegraph horribly. The disadvantages outweigh the advantages.
Little_Mac is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #23
boxexpert
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

usually the one who hits you first
boxexpert is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing