Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #16
kywoo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jan Zaveck (IBF champ) next fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhaus View Post

I suspect he'd lose to Mike Jones or Wale Omotoso, who are both pretty high in the IBF's rankings, and neither of whom has much name recognition of their own. If he sits on the title and doesn't take a big fight, he'll need to take a risky fight for not a lot of money. He might as well try to get paid while he can. And who knows, maybe he'll get lucky.

That said, if Berto-Aydin wasn't approved by HBO, I doubt they'd approve Berto-Zaveck, since Zaveck has even less name recognition than Aydin. His best opportunities might be Joshua Clottey (sticking the fight on a Top Rank PPV undercard) or Kell Brook (Frank ****** might pay him well to come to the UK so Brook can win a title). And I'd actually fancy Zaveck's chances against Brook, if they go that route.
Before Jackiewicz fight there was a lot of talking that who wins will fight against Randall Bailey (but that name i didnt catch nowhere right now in media)...after that fight Omotoso said he wants to be next opponent of Zaveck...but Zaveck said he wants someone from top 5 in ratings and since Berto, Mosley and Williams`s mangers arrive to UK must be something on it...
kywoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #17
BigBone
It was man, it ****in was
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Ideally, a veteran Shane Mosley would be Zaveck's largest payday, and the rate Sugar is fading, Jan's chances increase by day. But with Mosley looking for the biggest names, I rather see a big company matching the next generation with Jan, like Saul Alvarez or Mike Jones, though both need some additional seasoning before taking on the experienced Slovenian. For one, I wouldn't mind a Zaveck-Ouali fight for example.
BigBone is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #18
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBonos View Post
I bet Berto and Mosley go life and death with this guy. One is overrated while the other should retire.
Considering how Shane looked the other night, he might have a tough time. Berto might be overrated, but Zaveck doesn't have one punch power and isn't a southpaw, and I don't see anything in Zaveck that would prevent Berto from beating him on pure speed and talent.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2010, 04:19 AM   #19
kywoo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozumi's Hook View Post
Berto the fraud aint gonna fight him. He turned down a unification with Hlatswayo, on HBO, for 750k and Zaveck destroyed Hlatswayo.
So berto waits that all others will retire? Hope Zaveck gets him...
kywoo is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #20
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 355

Quote:
He certainly doesn't have the name recognition, but I suspect someone will pay well for the title shot. He's very beatable. I've seen three of his fights now, so it's not like I'm just looking at his record and guessing. Him and Senchenko are a level down from guys like Collazo and Quintana, and a level up from guys like Delvin Rodriguez and Sebastian Lujan, and probably around the same level as Selcuk Aydin.

I suspect he'd lose to Mike Jones or Wale Omotoso, who are both pretty high in the IBF's rankings, and neither of whom has much name recognition of their own. If he sits on the title and doesn't take a big fight, he'll need to take a risky fight for not a lot of money. He might as well try to get paid while he can. And who knows, maybe he'll get lucky.

That said, if Berto-Aydin wasn't approved by HBO, I doubt they'd approve Berto-Zaveck, since Zaveck has even less name recognition than Aydin. His best opportunities might be Joshua Clottey (sticking the fight on a Top Rank PPV undercard) or Kell Brook (Frank ****** might pay him well to come to the UK so Brook can win a title). And I'd actually fancy Zaveck's chances against Brook, if they go that route.
You see, this is the problem with fans who dont recognise a fighter... They underate them.
How can Zavek be a level down fron Collazo, a guy who was sparked in 3 rounds, lost to a LWW, lost clearly to Mosley and lost to Berto who hasnt beaten anyone of real note, when Zavek only has a debateable loss, won clearly a return and beat Hlatshwayo away. Collazo hasnt beaten anyone better than Jackiewicz or Hlatshwayo
bailey is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #21
VanillaKilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Zaveck has a good chance against anyone other than PAC in the WW division...

Zaveck is a more talented fighter than mora, so he would give mosley a good fight.

Zaveck is about the same talent level as berto. Instead of speed and athletiscm he has power and heart

Honestly if I was a promoter, i wouldnt want my guy to fight him. He is very dangerous and offers no reward
VanillaKilla is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jab_hard View Post
Zaveck is strong as **** but he has no skills at all. He can outwork and outwill current Mosley but Berto knocks him out easily.
lol JWW beater Berto against a strong and tough WW isn't something i'm expecting to see anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
You see, this is the problem with fans who dont recognise a fighter... They underate them.
How can Zavek be a level down fron Collazo, a guy who was sparked in 3 rounds, lost to a LWW, lost clearly to Mosley and lost to Berto who hasnt beaten anyone of real note, when Zavek only has a debateable loss, won clearly a return and beat Hlatshwayo away. Collazo hasnt beaten anyone better than Jackiewicz or Hlatshwayo
Good post
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #23
natep
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 362

Quote:
I agree with saying Zavek is underrated and he'd give some of the belt holders trouble, but what you're saying is complete and utter shit. Collazo lost to Cassiani more than eight years ago and he wasn't 'sparked out'. Other than that the only other clear loss was to Mosley. Everybody agrees that the Hatton and Berto fights were close affairs that could have gone either way. Some scored it for Collazo and others scored it for the other two fighters. I see you're standing up for your boy, Zaveck, but don't be delusional.
natep is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #24
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natep View Post
I agree with saying Zavek is underrated and he'd give some of the belt holders trouble, but what you're saying is complete and utter shit. Collazo lost to Cassiani more than eight years ago and he wasn't 'sparked out'. Other than that the only other clear loss was to Mosley. Everybody agrees that the Hatton and Berto fights were close affairs that could have gone either way. Some scored it for Collazo and others scored it for the other two fighters. I see you're standing up for your boy, Zaveck, but don't be delusional.
Zavek isnt my boy, but id say your more delusional if you rate Collazo above Zavek.
People get too carried away with well promoted fighters rather than genuine results.
O.K. Forget Collazos KO loss, as, as you say it was years ago, but Hatton was a limited LWW, fighting above his better weight for the first time, and he beat Collazo. Even if you scored for Collazo, he shouldnt have been beaten by a first time WW, if hes that good. Collazo lost to Mosely, very clearly. Berto beat Collazo in a close could have gone either way type fight, but who has Berto beaten that makes you rate him so high?
bailey is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #25
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

Quote:
I don't know about that. Collazo has a disputed loss to Berto, and almost everyone had him beating Hatton. The knockout came, what, a decade ago when he was like 20? And Jose Antonio Rivera was about at the same level as Hlathswayo and Jackieiwcz, although that win was a while ago now.

Collazo's an odd case though. He clearly should be fighting guys better than he's been fighting, and whenever he gets a step up, he goes against the elite and tends to do fairly well (other than against Mosley, where he broke his hand in the first round).

But having watched both of them fight multiple times, I'm pretty confident in saying Collazo is better. I don't know if I'd rank him higher, because his recent resume isn't as good, but I'm pretty confident Collazo would beat him in the ring.

On the con side, one could also say that Zaveck lost to someone with 8 losses and knocked out a guy who Kendall Holt knocked down three times. But it would be stupid to go there because I know Jackiewicz is better than his record and Hlatswayo had survived against some decent punchers, just like it's stupid to say what you said when about 90% of people scored the Hatton fight for Collazo and a majority scored the Berto fight for him.

Saying I don't recognize him is just stupid. I've probably watched more of his fights than you have. Hell, I was dumb enough to buy his fight against Martinez.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #26
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

Quote:
but who has Berto beaten that makes you rate him so high?
Who has Zaveck beaten that you rate him so high? It's all conjecture for both of them. Both guys have beaten a couple of fringe top 10 guys (Jackiewicz and Hlathswayo for Zaveck, Gonzalez and Rivera for Collazo). Collazo has at least fought against higher level competition, whereas Zaveck hasn't.

If you think Zaveck is better, tell me why. I think Collazo is better because he's quicker, has better defense, is a southpaw, has a tricky style and is more seasoned against top competition (and while I can't confirm, he probably has a pretty decent reach advantage as well). Zaveck has the edge on power (though not a huge one - it took him 12 rounds to take out Miranda, who has multiple KO1 losses on his record) and doesn't gas out as much. Both guys have shown a lot of heart.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #27
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I don't know about that. Collazo has a disputed loss to Berto, and almost everyone had him beating Hatton. The knockout came, what, a decade ago when he was like 20? And Jose Antonio Rivera was about at the same level as Hlathswayo and Jackieiwcz, although that win was a while ago now.

Collazo's an odd case though. He clearly should be fighting guys better than he's been fighting, and whenever he gets a step up, he goes against the elite and tends to do fairly well (other than against Mosley, where he broke his hand in the first round).

But having watched both of them fight multiple times, I'm pretty confident in saying Collazo is better. I don't know if I'd rank him higher, because his recent resume isn't as good, but I'm pretty confident Collazo would beat him in the ring.

On the con side, one could also say that Zaveck lost to someone with 8 losses and knocked out a guy who Kendall Holt knocked down three times. But it would be stupid to go there because I know Jackiewicz is better than his record and Hlatswayo had survived against some decent punchers, just like it's stupid to say what you said when about 90% of people scored the Hatton fight for Collazo and a majority scored the Berto fight for him.

Saying I don't recognize him is just stupid. I've probably watched more of his fights than you have. Hell, I was dumb enough to buy his fight against Martinez.
Im no fan of Hatton at all, but 90% of people didnt think Hatton lost. It was a close fight which could have gone either way, with Hatton badly hurt in the last round, but the majority felt Hatton won at the time. Now Hatton has lost, he has become someone that people like to bash, and now years later say they think he lost, but not at the time. But if you rate Collazo that high, arent you surprised he couldnt do a bit more against a smaller LWW, in his 1st WW fight?
bailey is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #28
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

Quote:
Im no fan of Hatton at all, but 90% of people didnt think Hatton lost. It was a close fight which could have gone either way, with Hatton badly hurt in the last round, but the majority felt Hatton won at the time. Now Hatton has lost, he has become someone that people like to bash, and now years later say they think he lost, but not at the time. But if you rate Collazo that high, arent you surprised he couldnt do a bit more against a smaller LWW, in his 1st WW fight?
Not really. Hatton was a legitimate top 10 pound for pound fighter at the time, Collazo was a smallish welterweight, and Collazo doesn't have much power. He was only two fights removed from beating Tszyu and he had two more good wins right after that fight. Hatton was a pretty heavy favorite coming in. But styles make fights.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #29
kywoo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBone View Post
Ideally, a veteran Shane Mosley would be Zaveck's largest payday, and the rate Sugar is fading, Jan's chances increase by day. But with Mosley looking for the biggest names, I rather see a big company matching the next generation with Jan, like Saul Alvarez or Mike Jones, though both need some additional seasoning before taking on the experienced Slovenian. For one, I wouldn't mind a Zaveck-Ouali fight for example.
But Sugar should be interested to get one more belt and also Zaveck is fresh blood in American market...

Jan doesnt want to fight others then top 5 at this time...but if he wont get anything he will have to think about other solutions...

Still think Berto - Zaveck would be the best option! And let the best guy win!
kywoo is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2010, 05:56 AM   #30
moorser
Belt holder
ESB Addict

get canelo for zaveck
canelo wins this in a tough fight
zaveck looks to have heart but also looks a little limited
moorser is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum