Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #16
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Most karate guys can't fight for shit...can machida...sure...and he is also cross trained in allot of other shit..and his punches he throws like a boxer not a karate guy...as for my posts...I got a blackberry and I have a easy job...so I am on here allot during work...

You are a pud though really.
But most people who practise Karate mainly have the desire to achieve something. They are not going there to become word class fighters, and have no aspirations to be. I guess they want a good form of exercise, which teaches respect and self disipline. And maybe help to defend themselves when idiots start mocking and bullying them for whatever reason. So during your dinner hour, you happen across some guys playing football, do you go over and mock them, point and laugh and shout 'You'll never make it as a professional?' If you did, I bet you would be thankful for a bit of karate training to help defend yourself.
Maybe that makes me a 'pud' and so be it.
Stoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #17
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Seriously I took karate for about 6 months as a kid... And a month when I was 19 from a dojo I heard was real legit...that was when UFC first came out and I wanted to learn some of that..it was worthless...no going live...lots of slow motion form stuff..and the way they punch sucks....also I have know a few black belts who got their ass kicked in street fights...of course that can happen to anyone...but it shouldn't happen all the time. I would say some of the karate dojos in japan are legit and those guys could whip ass (but its still not great at high level mma, again, Machiada is cross trained) I learned more actual useful shit (ie, could help in a fight) in three weeks of boxing, or wrestling or bjj I have taken then the 7 months total of karate I did. (Again, in lame nonfight McDojo's). As for my combat experience...8 years boxing on and off...5 months sold mma...focusing on wrestling and bjj...I don't claim to be a expert...but if your going to devote time to learning to fight..then you should try to do something that works.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
But most people who practise Karate mainly have the desire to achieve something. They are not going there to become word class fighters, and have no aspirations to be. I guess they want a good form of exercise, which teaches respect and self disipline. And maybe help to defend themselves when idiots start mocking and bullying them for whatever reason. So during your dinner hour, you happen across some guys playing football, do you go over and mock them, point and laugh and shout 'You'll never make it as a professional?' If you did, I bet you would be thankful for a bit of karate training to help defend yourself.
Point is its fighting form..but it doesn't teach you to defend yourself much. I have literally known 3 guys with blackbelts who got beaten up in street fights...now can that happen to a good wrestler, or boxer, or mma guy? Sure (I say "good" because the whole black belt thing suggests they are good at karate) but the boxer wrestler mma guy shouldn't get his ass beat as often as I have known karate guys to get beat.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #19
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Well if you had opened this thread with your last two posts I might be in danger of agreeing with you.
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #20
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I really don't go around making fun of karate guys...but I do think it gives people false confidence. I guess false confidence is better then no confidence...still. When I was in high school a kid had a black belt from a school called Joe Goss karate. He played soccer..but otherwise wasn't real athletic..anyhow he got into a fight with a kid...who basically just played foot ball..now the karate kid was skinny...like 5"10 160...but the football player was 5"6 about 140...not big...not known as being really tough or anything...but he beat the hell out of the karate kid...since then I have known a few other karate guys who got smashed in street fights. Had to have sucked for the karate guys...now could I lose a fight to some non trained street tough...well it hasn't happened since before I started boxing...but I know it could..but hell...I know what I have learned is far more useful then most forms of karate that your going to get...where its basically breathing exercises and parlor tricks where they break boards.

But yea I did make my question sound slightly dickish...however..when guys tell me they have a black belt in karate...I can't help but be amused.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #21
Scotty321
Champion
East Side Guru

laughing at chuck norris......not recommended.
Scotty321 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #22
audio101
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I noticed a lot of these so-called "black belts" can't defend a take down at all. I had a friend who was into Karate and the minute you wrapped up his legs he was like a fish out of water. I guess it really just depends on the instructor. Most of them shouldn't even be allowed to be called an instructor though.
audio101 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #23
audio101
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Too bad the majority of these people will be forced to throw out their karate once they encounter a real fight. Slow motion self defense doesn't always work....
audio101 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #24
Pacotez
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Most karate guys can't fight for shit...can machida...sure...and he is also cross trained in allot of other shit..and his punches he throws like a boxer not a karate guy...as for my posts...I got a blackberry and I have a easy job...so I am on here allot during work...

You are a pud though really.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Pacotez is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #25
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Every style has value - it all comes down to how the individual applies it. If you laugh at a Kyokushin guy and try to fight him he'll kick your teeth down your throat.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #26
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio101 View Post
Too bad the majority of these people will be forced to throw out their karate once they encounter a real fight. Slow motion self defense doesn't always work....
I never said it did
Im sure guys with a karate black belt like Chuck n GSP may disagree withthe notion that it would have no practical effectiveness though. Even if its just a little bit of confidence
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #27
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I think average joes need to remember, some of these disciplines, at high level include techniques that can maim, or get you killed. Go laugh at the wrong guy and you will have your trachea crushed by a short punch. Not really something to laugh at.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #28
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacotez View Post

Lol...I've watched the guy fight..he doesn't throw punches in the left right left right stright from your hip karate style...the fact that you got a pic that shows his arms in that position means shit...plenty of boxers end up with hands in those kinds of positions during a fight...doesn't mean they actually punch like that.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #29
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarngold View Post
Every style has value - it all comes down to how the individual applies it. If you laugh at a Kyokushin guy and try to fight him he'll kick your teeth down your throat.
Again...I did state that some dojos may teach a effective form...but what you get in 95 if not 99 percent the dojos in america is shit.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #30
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I never said it did
Im sure guys with a karate black belt like Chuck n GSP may disagree withthe notion that it would have no practical effectiveness though. Even if its just a little bit of confidence
Chuck norris did practice a real combat form of karate...but most dojos are set up for business...for kids to go...where their moms will feel safe...moms aren't going go feel safe if you are doing real effective work for hand to hand combat..because kids will get hurt....karate in america by and large made itself so safe that it has very little practcal value. Will it make a kid who is teased more confident...and theirfore less likely to be teased? Yes it definitly can...I just hope that kid doesn't have to back up his confidence...because then he is likely to find out that years of doing lame punches and thousands of dollars of mom and dads money has added up to nothing.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum