Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #31
coog
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 614
vCash: 1000
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanstrikes View Post
i laugh but not out loud just smile after they say it.
Though i did go to 4 karate lesson with my mate for a laugh. But it all about self defense and to get away.
Ill rather prefer to stay at kick boxing.
What is the difference a kick is a kick a punch is a punch and a block is a block. I have a black belt in shorinryu I also wrestled in high school (was pretty good ) I have studied muay thai for a year it all depends on the individual and how they train some school never train full contact and others do. I have met a lot of martial artist that would make a formidable opponent for anyone. there are some out there that you would have a difficult time hitting. Keep in mind that some of the matches in the 60's allowed kicks to the groin.
coog is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #32
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Da Bafroom brah!
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 75
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

The thread is about black belts though, not kids going to the beginner classes and getting their yellow and orange belts.
Koa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #33
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
The thread is about black belts though, not kids going to the beginner classes and getting their yellow and orange belts.
Well plenty of black belts can't fight..that's my point...they base the belts on doing some set forms...and just putting in the time...and of course paying the testing fee,s.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #34
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coog View Post
What is the difference a kick is a kick a punch is a punch and a block is a block. I have a black belt in shorinryu I also wrestled in high school (was pretty good ) I have studied muay thai for a year it all depends on the individual and how they train some school never train full contact and others do. I have met a lot of martial artist that would make a formidable opponent for anyone. there are some out there that you would have a difficult time hitting. Keep in mind that some of the matches in the 60's allowed kicks to the groin.
It is a difference though..most karate schools will only teach one kind of punch...a stright punch thrown from the rib area. As for kicks...the kicks are good...but muay thai kicks are generally considered best. Also its how they train..if you never go hard...if you never spar with intensity...then when shit happens your likely forget most of what you learned.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #35
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 1000
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Chuck norris did practice a real combat form of karate...but most dojos are set up for business...for kids to go...where their moms will feel safe...moms aren't going go feel safe if you are doing real effective work for hand to hand combat..because kids will get hurt....karate in america by and large made itself so safe that it has very little practcal value. Will it make a kid who is teased more confident...and theirfore less likely to be teased? Yes it definitly can...I just hope that kid doesn't have to back up his confidence...because then he is likely to find out that years of doing lame punches and thousands of dollars of mom and dads money has added up to nothing.
Well you're an idiot if you think physical fitness and self disipline and even a decent hobby add to nothing. And why you feel that kids not bein effective in hand to hand combat is a bad thing beyond me. If you want to protest that it's a rip off go tell you're local sensi the things you've posted here. And PLEASE film his response
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #36
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Well you're an idiot if you think physical fitness and self disipline and even a decent hobby add to nothing. And why you feel that kids not bein effective in hand to hand combat is a bad thing beyond me. If you want to protest that it's a rip off go tell you're local sensi the things you've posted here. And PLEASE film his response
Oh ok...so a its cool for a kid who takes karate for 5 years to be helpless...ok....
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #37
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 1000
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Oh ok...so a its cool for a kid who takes karate for 5 years to be helpless...ok....
Again that's not what I said. Let me clarify my point, I dont think that you can use the fact that most instructors wont teach dangerous martial arts techniques to 5 year olds as proof that it is ineffective and should be laughed at, in your words. They will be taught the basics, starting off at white belt. And as they get older, and stay committed to learning, then they will progress through the ranks of the belt system. And by progressing through the rank system will refine the basics they learned as a white belt, while adding new techniques. Eventually over time and with steady imporvement, they will gain their black belt.That's what the learning process in all walks off life is built on, progressive improvement. Sorry if Im posting my reply like you are an idiot, but you do seem to be one, or just plain ignorant at best.
And why have you moved the topic of discussion from black belts to children?
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #38
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Again that's not what I said. Let me clarify my point, I dont think that you can use the fact that most instructors wont teach dangerous martial arts techniques to 5 year olds as proof that it is ineffective and should be laughed at, in your words. They will be taught the basics, starting off at white belt. And as they get older, and stay committed to learning, then they will progress through the ranks of the belt system. And by progressing through the rank system will refine the basics they learned as a white belt, while adding new techniques. Eventually over time and with steady imporvement, they will gain their black belt.That's what the learning process in all walks off life is built on, progressive improvement. Sorry if Im posting my reply like you are an idiot, but you do seem to be one, or just plain ignorant at best.
And why have you moved the topic of discussion from black belts to children?
Problem is...you seem to be under the assumption that what is taught will be effective...my point is it mostly won't be....again....the percentage of black belts from most american karate dojo's who would get their ass kicked by the average untrained guy is much higher then regional golden gloves boxers...then wrestlers from small colleges...then purple belts in bjj....point is....if your a grown ass man and you want to be able to fight well...karate is low on the list of things to pick.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #39
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,121
vCash: 1493
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

There is also a pretty big difference between Shotokan and Kykushin
Beebs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #40
James23
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Eastern U.S.
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 1218
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

You do know there isn't just one form of Karate, right?

I'd say be more specific. And where is also very important.
James23 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #41
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James23 View Post
You do know there isn't just one form of Karate, right?

I'd say be more specific. And where is also very important.
In the united states..if into your local phone book and pick a karate dojo...chances are its going to be shit..hence most guys with black belts in america came from those dojos...hence...most of them won't be able to fight..and the ones that can fight will mostly not be using the karate they learned.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:08 AM   #42
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Da Bafroom brah!
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 75
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs View Post
There is also a pretty big difference between Shotokan and Kykushin
I cant think of one pure Karate dojo in my town that doesn't put out bad asses. Koi Kan put out Liddell.. Shotokan dojo in town, I think all the instructors there learned directly under Nishiyama. As a result, people from the dojo have a rep of being no joke.

If anything, its actually the Kung Fu place that dont have a rep of people who can kick ass, but still not laughable because they learn weapons lol.

If anything its actually a wrestling based mixed martial arts place that has the worst rep, because most of the fighters out of it have losing records, but there is still a Graci Baja mixed martial arts spot, and an acquaintance of mine runs a Sambo gym. Still none of them have necessarily bad reps, or put out people you would laugh at.
Koa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #43
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
I cant think of one pure Karate dojo in my town that doesn't put out bad asses. Koi Kan put out Liddell.. Shotokan dojo in town, I think all the instructors there learned directly under Nishiyama. As a result, people from the dojo have a rep of being no joke.

If anything, its actually the Kung Fu place that dont have a rep of people who can kick ass, but still not laughable because they learn weapons lol.

If anything its actually a wrestling based mixed martial arts place that has the worst rep, because most of the fighters out of it have losing records, but there is still a Graci Baja mixed martial arts spot, and an acquaintance of mine runs a Sambo gym. Still none of them have necessarily bad reps, or put out people you would laugh at.

you may live in a special town. Koei-kan is legit...because they spar for real..they wear a punch of protection and shit..but they throw full contact....and as i stated earlier..their are karate dojos that do a real form of fighting..but my point is most dojos make most of their money from kids...they are made to be safe...so mom and dad wont feel worried about sending asmatic little timmy....now that means that most of the black belts have gone to those kinds of Dojo...most of the Dojo's dont teach anything useful, and the guys who get blackbelts have gotten them by putting in time..lots of money..and learning some forms.... anyhow...i have run this thread into the ground arguing what is really a unarguable point....ps...look up the term McDojo..that describes what i am talking about.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:47 AM   #44
ShamrockNapalm
Rhythm Amongst The Chaos
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 166
vCash: 1344
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Well you're an idiot if you think physical fitness and self disipline and even a decent hobby add to nothing. And why you feel that kids not bein effective in hand to hand combat is a bad thing beyond me. If you want to protest that it's a rip off go tell you're local sensi the things you've posted here. And PLEASE film his response

You can still be self disciplined without having to pour all your money into a dojo. Just buy some weights and run like crazy everyday. As for the hobby aspect of your argument. That's fine with me, ever one needs something to feel good about themselves and boost their confidence. But once somebody starts making claims about how they can kick your ass just because of their "hobby" then thats a different story. I knew this kid in my freshman year who was a black belt in karate (don't know what form). He had major short man's syndrome and was always talking about his black belt to compensate for it. I never really had a problem with it until he started talking shit to everybody as the year progressed. Finally I got fed up with him one day after he shoved me on the basketball court and just threw a huge haymaker to his face and knocked him out cold. I had no experience in boxing at the time either. The point of this whole thread to me is this: Yes there are guys out there who are bb's who can kick ass. But most just do the minimum amount of work and pay fees to get something (bb) to prove to others that they have self worth. I wouldn't laugh at somebody just because they have a bb. I would just think "Good for them, glad that they're not sitting their ass on the couch all day playing Halo like every other American seems to be doing these days". But once again that confidence of having a bb can get to their head and make them think that that they're an a full blown ass kicker when they're really not. THATS WHEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.
ShamrockNapalm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #45
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 1000
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockNapalm View Post
You can still be self disciplined without having to pour all your money into a dojo. Just buy some weights and run like crazy everyday. As for the hobby aspect of your argument. That's fine with me, ever one needs something to feel good about themselves and boost their confidence. But once somebody starts making claims about how they can kick your ass just because of their "hobby" then thats a different story. I knew this kid in my freshman year who was a black belt in karate (don't know what form). He had major short man's syndrome and was always talking about his black belt to compensate for it. I never really had a problem with it until he started talking shit to everybody as the year progressed. Finally I got fed up with him one day after he shoved me on the basketball court and just threw a huge haymaker to his face and knocked him out cold. I had no experience in boxing at the time either. The point of this whole thread to me is this: Yes there are guys out there who are bb's who can kick ass. But most just do the minimum amount of work and pay fees to get something (bb) to prove to others that they have self worth. I wouldn't laugh at somebody just because they have a bb. I would just think "Good for them, glad that they're not sitting their ass on the couch all day playing Halo like every other American seems to be doing these days". But once again that confidence of having a bb can get to their head and make them think that that they're an a full blown ass kicker when they're really not. THATS WHEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.
Good post.
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013