Old 11-18-2007, 10:07 PM   #16
ralphc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Coach Tom gives a left hook tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
Yeah well... mine obviously teaches some of his tricks. I was specifically talking about deliberately missing punches. I think I have a good coach btw, he trained the Dutch Olympic team as well as some national level champions.

Appears to be a modified version of hooking off the jab. Like many of these tricks it requires good hand speed. It is hard to imagine a slow-poke like Rocky Marciano using it against anybody.
ralphc is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 PM   #17
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphc
Appears to be a modified version of hooking off the jab. Like many of these tricks it requires good hand speed. It is hard to imagine a slow-poke like Rocky Marciano using it against anybody.
Hey Ralph, out of curosity, what's your boxing experience?
amy is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #18
zippy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphc

Ralph, I wished you'd watched Marcianos fight with Harry Matthews before you wrote that. That's exactly how he took him out.
zippy is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 11:46 PM   #19
Jbuz
Belt folder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2065

Marciano does knock him out with the hook after the jab, but it's kind of sloppy. Marciano throws the jab on the left side of Matthews' face, Matthews' pulls back and counters with a jab, and Marciano who fell in after the jab lands a left hook. It's definately not what "Coach Tom" showed in the video, because it was a jab that made him slip the wrong way, and the left hook was a counter to Harry's jab, rather than a hook off the jab.
Jbuz is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 01:45 AM   #20
gallagher430
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe
Basically feint with the right hand, so your opponent moves into the left hook you throw next.
He didn't throw a right at all in the video, although that makes more since to me to throw 1,1, miss with 2 on purpose, then the hook...
gallagher430 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 03:20 AM   #21
average_joe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagher430
He didn't throw a right at all in the video, although that makes more since to me to throw 1,1, miss with 2 on purpose, then the hook...
Oops yeah i watched it again and yeah they're all jabs. But yeah the straight would be so much better to use rather than using the left 4 times in a row. It'd be faster for one, not to mention the increase of torque in the hook.
average_joe is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 05:53 AM   #22
Jbuz
Belt folder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2065

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe
Oops yeah i watched it again and yeah they're all jabs. But yeah the straight would be so much better to use rather than using the left 4 times in a row. It'd be faster for one, not to mention the increase of torque in the hook.
Exactly. It just seems stupid. Not everyone is a young Oscar De La Hoya, and can throw 3 jabs and a hook in a second.
Jbuz is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #23
pudding
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
Ralph, I wished you'd watched Marcianos fight with Harry Matthews before you wrote that. That's exactly how he took him out.

Marciano rarely threw jabs and I don't remember him ever deliberately missing a punch in quite the same way that coach tom is suggesting. He missed a lot of punches, but he also threw a lot of punches. There was nothing unusual or tricky about any of his knockouts.

Coach Tom is really just inventing nifty little tricks for pure boxers who have long arms and fast hands. What he didn't bother to mention is the counter measures an opponent might try. By the way, Marciano was quite good at replying to a jab with an overhand right. What about Kenny Weldon's famous reacting off the jab? When coach tom makes the assumption that the man in front of you will move laterally to the jab, he is assuming your opponent is not a particularly good boxer. Try this nifty little trick on Floyd Mayweather a see how fast YOU are the one getting hit.
pudding is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #24
boxexpert
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

i didnt see that guy throwing any hooks.....

there are two hooks you can throw: a short and a wide one,each for his own purpose
boxexpert is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2007, 04:17 AM   #25
gallagher430
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

He also throws and upside-down jab though lol...
gallagher430 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing