Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
P.4.P.G.O.A.T.
Q Boro Killa Bee
ESB Addict

vCash: 13418
Default Ab Training - Need Advice, Post Your Workouts, Approach, Routine......

I'm interested to hear some sample ab wourkouts you all use - I'm trying to get some fresh ideas about my overall ab routine.

-How often do you train your abdominals?
-For How Long?
-Before, After or During your Regular Workout?
-List Exercises
-Do You Focus on Number of Reps or Specific Timed Intervals?
-How Do You Balance Core Strength and Core Endurance?

I feel as though I've hit various plateaus in four years of boxing (and about ten years of abdominal training), so post your approach, routine, and your workouts - and provide feedback on the following:

I train abs for about 20 minutes, usually before my regular workout (but after warming up and stretching), 4 times a week.

My exercises are a mix of strength and endurance using both reps and timed intervals, and I throw in the once-a-week Tabata ab routine. The workout basically consists of 3 sets each of 5 exercises out of the list below, rotating exercises from workout to workout, and switching between endurance days where I'm using 3 minute rounds, and strength days when I'm doing mostly weighted exercises and 50-60 reps 3X each of the easy stuff (crunches, leg raises, bicycles)

Exercises
-Crunches
-V-Ups (including weighted V-Ups)
-Hanging Knee Raises (on pull-up bar)
-Hanging Oblique Twists (on pull-up bar)
-Leg Raises
-All Four Types of Planks (Front, Right, Left, and Bridge)
-Bicycles
-Supermans (including weighted supermans with wrist and ankle weights)
-Mountain Climbers
-Russian Twists

Cheers, and thanks for the replies....
P.4.P.G.O.A.T. is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Zaryu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ab Training - Need Advice, Post Your Workouts, Approach, Routine......

My first language is spanish, and sometimes I have a hard time trying to explain things in english, but here we go.

I do ab workouts 5 days a week. I start of my ab workout laying on my back with 30 seconds of tension on my abs lifting my feet like 5 inches and staring at my belly button. Without rest, after I finish those first thirty seconds I do 30 reps of lifting my feet(one at a time) as fast as I can, then I do 30 reps of crossing my legs, and after that I lift my legs up(both of them at the same time) 30 times.

After this I rest for around 15-30 seconds and do 100 reps of crunches that include lifting my knees towards my chest. When I'm done with this, I rest, and I do the first exercise I explained in the first paragraph again. After that I'm done. I don't use weights or anything, but you could try it if you want.

I'm pretty used to this workout by now so I only do it 3 days a week, and I do different ab workouts the other two days. I feel it's a very good and dynamic workout for your abs, and of course you can try it on with weights, more reps, less reps, hold the tension longer or less.
Zaryu is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
Onepunch
Prestigeous clincher
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Ab Training - Need Advice, Post Your Workouts, Approach, Routine......

I do abs usually at the end of a weights session, along with neck strengthening.

I normally do 2 sets of situps on a decline bench with a weight behind my head, and then 2 sets of 40 russian twists with a weight in front.

finish with a 2min plank.

Its not all about endless reps and such. Even if you want people to see them, losing weight will get your abs out faster then situps.
Onepunch is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Zaryu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onepunch View Post
I do abs usually at the end of a weights session, along with neck strengthening.

I normally do 2 sets of situps on a decline bench with a weight behind my head, and then 2 sets of 40 russian twists with a weight in front.

Its not all about endless reps and such. Even if you want people to see them, losing weight will get your abs out faster then situps.
It depends, on the person I guess. I get the best results doing the routine I explained which includes a lot of reps, much better than just adding weights.
Zaryu is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Hitting the heavybag, is a great ab workout.

I can remember i was hooking the **** out of the heavy bag, and all my abs and obliques where DOM up the next day.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Onepunch
Prestigeous clincher
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaryu View Post
It depends, on the person I guess. I get the best results doing the routine I explained which includes a lot of reps, much better than just adding weights.
aesthetic results.

my aims are more towards rotational power
Onepunch is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Zaryu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
aesthetic results.

my aims are more towards rotational power
True, that's why I mix it up. I do that 3 days a week and a full core strenghtning routine two days a week.
Zaryu is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
Mister T
Conquer....
ESB Full Member

I do this exercise for my abs (total weight of 75 lbs): [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
and I do this exercise for my obliques (total weight of 35 lbs): [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I do these exercises once a week for about 10 minutes on each exercise (nonstop).
My abs and obliques feel sore as hell for the rest of the week.
Mister T is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:

Very similar to mine, when I train them. A 2 min plank would kill me right now though!
vonLPC is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing