Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
notonurhelly

vCash: 500
Default Running/Racing in the hills

Hi All,

I'm a newbie on this forum so please be nice, I'm a fan of the british boxing scene and a very keen runner entering fell/mountain and road races on a regular basis.

I know that running/sprint training are an important part of a boxers workout and was wondering if boxers every enter races as part of their training. I know that some of the Manchester based fighters often do their hill training around the derbyshire peak district. I'd just be interested to know how fully fit boxer would compare time wise to runners. I would imagine over short distances the lighter weight boxers could possibly be up there with the elite runners.

Also if any boxers are interested in training runs around Lancashire i'd be happy to take them over some of my favourite routes.

Cheers
Jamie
notonurhelly is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Running/Racing in the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by notonurhelly View Post
Hi All,

I'm a newbie on this forum so please be nice, I'm a fan of the british boxing scene and a very keen runner entering fell/mountain and road races on a regular basis.

I know that running/sprint training are an important part of a boxers workout and was wondering if boxers every enter races as part of their training. I know that some of the Manchester based fighters often do their hill training around the derbyshire peak district. I'd just be interested to know how fully fit boxer would compare time wise to runners. I would imagine over short distances the lighter weight boxers could possibly be up there with the elite runners.

Also if any boxers are interested in training runs around Lancashire i'd be happy to take them over some of my favourite routes.

Cheers
Jamie
If boxers can enter and win running competitions they're probably running too much and not training boxing enough.
viru§™ is online now  Top
Old 10-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Bog Cleaner
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Someone told me that Mayweather can do 10k in 30 minutes.
Bog Cleaner is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Chip
Journeyman

I wouldnt be suprised if some boxers did the shorter races, but Im pretty sure you wouldnt see any boxers doing long endurance marathons or something like that.
Chip is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2010, 03:03 AM   #5
Panthers89
Mr. Big Dreams
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I wouldnt be suprised if some boxers did the shorter races, but Im pretty sure you wouldnt see any boxers doing long endurance marathons or something like that.
i guess it would depend on what kind of fighter they are. if they are a 12 round fighter ala jones Jr. or mayweather, then they would do they long marathon runs cuz they benfit they're style, but people like say williams (paul) or Pacquiao will run shorter distance runs and sprint the whole way cuz thats how they fight, at a exciting, brisk pace
Panthers89 is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2010, 03:27 AM   #6
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I've seen it plenty of times, pro journeymen boxers in races. You probably won't see many superstars like Mayweather in real races because those kinds of athletes wont like coming 2nd.
thejokerswild is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing