Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #61
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2650
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Yes, yes I do.
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #62
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Good one
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #63
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Good one
Well we dont agree but let's not take this too seriously
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #64
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

actually i am being a bit of a dick..i really dont think karate is totally worthless..but i do honestly think its a less effective way to learn to fight then allot of other avenues would be.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #65
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

When I was doing my first internship, my boss knew I was boxing, so he introduced me to some 40 year old who was a black belt in shotokan karate, I just sort of stood there and thought "yea, so?" it was a bit awkward.

The boss wrestled in high school and was into MMA, so I expected a little more out of him. He did introduce me to a small MMA team that trained in a nearby town, I went out there a couple of times a week, really improved my wrestling.

We were supposed to have a grappling match at the end of the internship, but never happened.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2010, 12:34 AM   #66
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs View Post
When I was doing my first internship, my boss knew I was boxing, so he introduced me to some 40 year old who was a black belt in shotokan karate, I just sort of stood there and thought "yea, so?" it was a bit awkward.

The boss wrestled in high school and was into MMA, so I expected a little more out of him. He did introduce me to a small MMA team that trained in a nearby town, I went out there a couple of times a week, really improved my wrestling.

We were supposed to have a grappling match at the end of the internship, but never happened.
karate guys do some good streaching exercises....and the kicks can be ok..but id rather do mauy thai if im going to learn kicks...still they could be useful.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #67
coog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
There is also a pretty big difference between Shotokan and Kykushin
NO there isn't
coog is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #68
coog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
karate guys do some good streaching exercises....and the kicks can be ok..but id rather do mauy thai if im going to learn kicks...still they could be useful.
Tell me something, what is the difference between a Muay thai kick and a karate kick?
coog is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #69
coog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Also you do learn take down defence in karate, at least I did and what i learned is agaainst the rules in MMA crossface, sprawl and strike on the back of the neck.
coog is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #70
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coog View Post
Tell me something, what is the difference between a Muay thai kick and a karate kick?
MT guys focus on hardening the shin and using those to kick rather then the foot...its safer for the kicker and more damaging for the guy you are kicking...karate usually lands with the foot.

also from what i understand muay thai guys usually get more leverage into their kicks.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #71
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Usually the Thai fighter will try to land with the shin, the Karate fighter with the foot. Also the Karate kicks tend to be quick as they aren't chambered, but the Thai fighters tend to be harder.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #72
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
NO there isn't
Differences between Shotokan and Kyokoshin? Yes, there is, especially in the focus of training. Kyokushin focuses on full contact, continuous sparring. Shotokan focuses on one step point sparring.

There is a very big difference in mentality.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #73
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Also you do learn take down defence in karate, at least I did and what i learned is agaainst the rules in MMA crossface, sprawl and strike on the back of the neck.
So you have to slightly change the strike, so what? The takedown defense aspect would still be the same.

It's not like a strike to the back of the neck is some super move that is going to win the fight more than once in a blue moon, and it was only outlawed within the last decade or so, there were plenty of MMA/Vale Tudo/NHB matches where it was legal.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 04:10 AM   #74
marsupial
Monkey
ESB Full Member

from my perspective:
karate alone is clearly not the best martial art to go in a full contact fight vs another martial art.

you gotta take the goods out of it and mix it up with something else.

best example is GSP, Kyokushin BB. He has a great discipline, great mentality and is very respectful, fighting wise he uses mostly the kicks from his karate background (axe kick, spinning back kick.) Otherwise he'll rely on his boxing, wrestling and BJJ.
marsupial is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #75
coog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Differences between Shotokan and Kyokoshin? Yes, there is, especially in the focus of training. Kyokushin focuses on full contact, continuous sparring. Shotokan focuses on one step point sparring.

There is a very big difference in mentality.
that is just how they train has not5hing to do with technique. There are alot of shotokan fighters who fight full contact. Like i said before a kick is a kick and a punch is a punch. Karate does focus more on the ball of the foot vs the shin in a round house but that is a bout it I have always used my instep and shin when throwing a roundhouse. muay thai does alot of switch foot kicking before throwing the roundhouse. i think that it telegraphs the kick. both styles use knees rear kicks etc karatre uses the side kick more often the reason because it is a street oriented self defence kicks to the groin are legal so backfist sidekick combo is effective I have seen good fighters from every style even kung fu. It all depends on the individual. One of the mistakes that karate guys may make in a Street fight is typical awareness. Plus in a street fight One should usually throw a punch first than follow it up with a strong kick. insted of kickking first.
coog is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum