Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #16
ElGalloNegro
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: My latest Amatuer bout (1st senior one)

What 'Oz' gloves did you use?
ElGalloNegro is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #17
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Congrats on a very good fight.

Most things have been said here, but what I noticed the most were that you should keep your right foot on the floor while you jab. Easy to lose power and balance if not.
znaak is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #18
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy 360 View Post
what weight?
64kg/140lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
you did really well to tame that beast from the beginning. he came out like a whirlwind. some guys would get stopped in your situation but you kept moving your head, changing levels, stepping off and pumping those hands. all in all, it was a good performance by yourself. well done.
Cheers pal.

Quote:
holy shit, from 3.50 do you turn in to calzaghe! letting hands fly and calling the ref in. that is hilarious for a first senior bout.

Surprised you noticed it to be fair. In amateur boxing basically if you have a guy like that the ref looks for any opportunity to step in, so I gave him one. Just some gamesmanship on my part.

Quote:
you are a good boxer but you got a bit of calzaghe in you i.e. you like a tear up. that is when you make yourself vulnerable but its also what allows you to force the stoppage. double edge sword.
Yeh, I do get reckless. In this fight particularly, I realised I was stronger and was hurting my man so I got a bit careless.

In the gym, my trainer thinks I don't commit enough. Amazing how people can change on fight night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
You've got some good fundamentals going for you Greg. Your jab is a decent weapon when you get it going, for me you need to use it more to establish your range because you look tall at the weight with quick feet, also I feel you need to double up on it a little more to try and keep your guy off balance and in an attempt to try and set that right hand up behind it.
Good advice.

Quote:
Your reflexes are good, but sometimes you are getting caught with punches on the ropes, particularly that right hand on a couple of occasions. Your guard could be a little tighter there, and you try to fight your way off the ropes too much.
Got caught there abit. I think I get too comfortable on them, cause my trainer says to me after round 2, 'I know you can take them, but don't!'. I think I just got too relaxed in there.

Quote:
I watched this in the thread you made on the Classic and watched your last bout aswell, where I loved your body work. That is a real weapon for you and one you neglected a bit in this fight. Your left hook to the body is excellent in my opinion, and so is the way you can lead with it and put a right hook to the body in behind it. Use that as a weapon, but trust your physical strength more and push your guy away [like you did in this fight a couple of times early] to re-establish the range.
I didn;'t go to the body much in this fight, as I was landing on the guys head and hurting him so looked for the stoppage. If you watch early I'm looking for the body but see I can hurt him so switch it upstairs.

Quote:
In terms of getting caught on the ropes, it happened quite a few times to be fair. You remained pretty composed while on it and I saw a couple of very good counters - another weapon for you imo - but it's not a place you really want to be with the advantages I feel you will often have on the outside, because you get dragged into a war again. You're often getting backed up in straight lines towards the ropes. When you see the other guy drop his shoulder and load up, double up on that jab and take a side-step away from it.
Really good advice.

Quote:
Your punching form is often better than your opponents, you are often quicker and your punches tend to be far more accurate, plus your bodywork is usually much better than the other guys, so you can sometimes get away with fighting in close quarters. But you make things a little difficult for yourself when I feel as long as you command the ring [i.e, get a feel for where the ropes up, don't get backed up in straight lines, and keep circling with that jab], you can box comfortably on the outside most of the time.
Exactly. I make things difficult for myself. Will have to work on my mentality, can't make every fight a war.

Quote:
You are improving though. You have a lot of things going for you, you just get dragged into a fight a bit too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky300 View Post
good fight mate! was really impressed with you at the end of the 2nd....covering up and countering

congrats
My trainer went mad at me for that because I let him hit me a bit.

Cheers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGalloNegro View Post
What 'Oz' gloves did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by znaak View Post
Congrats on a very good fight.

Most things have been said here, but what I noticed the most were that you should keep your right foot on the floor while you jab. Easy to lose power and balance if not.
Cheers pal.

Well noticed.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #19
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Greg's good because he studies the greats of the past.

I'm not kidding.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #20
difO
Contender
ESB Senior Member

good control mate. i noticed a couple of times (esp in the first round) when you double that left jab the hand comes back to your chest rather than your chin. just keep an eye on that.

how tall are you?
difO is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #21
mking
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

nice jab!
mking is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #22
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Everything was beautiful and I liked the results you got. If I was picking out just one thing to work on, it'd be your left hook. You throw it kinda with your elbow down, more like a slap. Your straight punches were getting there and hurting him, and a good powerful hook would have made it a much easier night. Kinda looks like you're more of an outfighter so you might not be as used to throwing it inside (the way you throw it is good for a long-range hook, but on the inside you can really sit down on it more).

Great fight though, and you take a hell of a shot!
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #23
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Greg, you've really improved. Well done mate.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #24
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

You looked great, very impressive, and an entertaining fight.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #25
702BOXX

awesome fight man!!! what a w/\R!
702BOXX is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #26
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Right, I also fought Friday night as in 2 days ago.

Sorry this is in different parts but I can't change that. And for some reason part of round 2 is missing.

I am in blue again.

The guy I was fighting was 20 or 21 and very strong, I felt. I also think he was roughly 2-3KGs heavier which is 4-7lbs heavier.

I went a bit to war in this fight and its a humdinger. I lost a majority decision by 1 point, I think I lost it in the last round as I was buzzed by a right hand and gave away a few points because of it. Still I felt it could have went either way.

I'm fighting this guy again on Friday this week.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ynviiRVdT4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCl7QNX3Mvc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYHX2lKuzrc[/ame]

All feedback welcome[/quote]
GPater11093 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing