Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 10-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #16
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Your views on Barry Boy Mickeal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Personal favourite was the war with Al Carter. But I was at the Lester bout and it was a war as well, in fact Barry often went to war.

Tough bastard. Don't think he was ever off his feet!

As Kegs says above, Michael seems to be less objective in his commentary when Mundine is involved.
Funny CHB talking about Mundine again
ashley is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2010, 02:44 AM   #17
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

Barry Michael is firmly up Anthony Mundine's arsehole and is allowed out to disgrace himself with the most unsatisfactory and unbelievably awful commentary you would ever be likely to here.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2010, 04:13 AM   #18
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
Funny CHB talking about Mundine again

I just like bringing you out of your little hidey hole in the NRL section mate.

You don't think Barry's just a tad Mundinecentric like the rest of the world do Ash?
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #19
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
I just like bringing you out of your little hidey hole in the NRL section mate.

You don't think Barry's just a tad Mundinecentric like the rest of the world do Ash?
Hes a nuthugger for sure....I love his work
ashley is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2010, 04:22 AM   #20
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
Hes a nuthugger for sure....I love his work
Well funny I should mention it above then mate...

....but it did draw the predictable bite from you though - LOL.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #21
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

There's a good documentary on the Barry Mickeal vs. Lester Ellis title fight and the feud surrounding it, i think it's called 'A melbourne story?'. The very first world championship fight between two Aussie's.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #22
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
There's a good documentary on the Barry Mickeal vs. Lester Ellis title fight and the feud surrounding it, i think it's called 'A melbourne story?'. The very first world championship fight between two Aussie's.
Correct with the title mate, and yes it's a good watch.

Was at Festival Hall that night, and though I've been lucky to have seen some great sporting history first hand, it certainly rates right up there amongst the highlights.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #23
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Cheers for that mate, hadn't seen that for a while. There was all sorts going on between the camps wasn't there?

Btw, how does Barry get on against someone like Boom Boom Mancini? would he have given the likes of Ray Mancini a good arguement, do you reckon?

And heres a fantasy match-up to course an Australian civil war, lol. Barry vs. Mickael Katsidis at lightweight? I think Katsidis would have some problems as he wouldn't be able to hurt or back Barry up. What a war that would be!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #24
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Barry has done everything in the game. State, national, commonwealth and world titles. His Oz lightweight title reign is just a couple of months short of Vic Patricks record, yet Barry faught in a quieter period of Oz boxing. The arse end of TV Ringside left the game slipping, and many quality fighters never recieved the dues.

Had Barry Michael been fighting in the stadiums between 1910 and 1960, the place would have packed out at every showing. Tough, relentless, courageous, cunning and holding more than enough boxing smarts to play chicken with every imported lightweight this country has seen.

IMO, he's one of the top 5 most under rated fighters produced here.

As for Fenech, Barry would have torn him a new arsehole at Jnr Lightweight. Fenechs hands would have given in well before Barry's head felt any effects. FACT.
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #25
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 346

Didnt Fenech knock the fight back? i think he knew Barry was to tough for him so he just avoided it all together. Would have been an intresting fight to watch. I havent watched many of Barrys fights so i really cant comment on how i think he would go against other guys, i do enjoy his style of fighting and i think he missed his time. Not sure of the history surrounding it but i think he found it hard getting a title shot until lester finally caved in and accepted the challange. Bobby Sin would know more
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #26
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
Didnt Fenech knock the fight back? i think he knew Barry was to tough for him so he just avoided it all together. Would have been an intresting fight to watch. I havent watched many of Barrys fights so i really cant comment on how i think he would go against other guys, i do enjoy his style of fighting and i think he missed his time. Not sure of the history surrounding it but i think he found it hard getting a title shot until lester finally caved in and accepted the challange. Bobby Sin would know more
Thats a bit of a myth to be honest. People have to understand the circumstances around the time that fight was muted. It really didn't do a whole lot for Jeff when the fight was offered.

I'm surprise people would say Barry would've beat Fenech. Barry struggled everytime he stepped up, apart from the Carter fight, plus Fenech was a better version of him and mixed in much higher company, he was just a better all round fighter. Perfect style for Fenech IMHO.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #27
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

To get a perspective on how good Micheal was you'd have to look at the numbers of fighters in Aussie boxing back in his day....there was probably couple of hundred in the lightweight divsion alone....I'll have to dig out my old fighter magazines to confirm this....but I don't think i'm far off.
darkhorse is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #28
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I actually had the Carter fight a draw...Great effort from Barry and a great display of chin but 2 of the judges had the fight unbelievably wide.

Fenech would have broke both his hands on Barry's head but has beaten better fighters than Barry with damaged hands...Jeff is just a different class of fighter but it would have been a memorable fight.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #29
sallywinder
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
barry should of been included in the underbelly yarn on tv. he was bashed mercilessly by a couple of the 'main actors' (who were later killed) because he beat lester.

i dont believe barry recovered from that beating, and was stopped by lockeridge in his next fight, i believe.

edit.

also, for all the shit i hang on barry about mundines nuts, i recon hes a great bloke, and one of our greatest ever fighters.
sallywinder is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #30
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallywinder View Post
barry should of been included in the underbelly yarn on tv. he was bashed mercilessly by a couple of the 'main actors' (who were later killed) because he beat lester.

i dont believe barry recovered from that beating, and was stopped by lockeridge in his next fight, i believe.

edit.

also, for all the shit i hang on barry about mundines nuts, i recon hes a great bloke, and one of our greatest ever fighters.

That's a good point, was it just before the Rocky fight though? It might've been a bit earlier than that and he still had a good win over Najib Daho.

I think him being on his way out had more to do with the Lockridge loss, plus Lockridge was a very good fighter.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum