Old 10-16-2010, 05:23 AM   #46
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tyson Fury training with Emanuel Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing4eva View Post
The longer someone has boxed, the longer their habits are ingrained, the longer it takes the change them. Fury needs a total overhaul, anyone who thinks that on his current path of how he trains and fights thinks he's ever going to go above domestic is day dreaming.

Over the course of the last 2 years many notable trainers in the US heard of Tyson Fury, due to the publicity he was getting here in combination with his name, and raised an interest... until they actually saw him fight.

If he was an unknown training with Stewart then perhaps he wouldn't have the distraction or expectation that he currently does and would train accordingly, but that isn't the case. I imagine he's going to pick up a few things, then continue as he has been doing.

From his physical shape I can only assume his team don't agree with road running, or have some gypsy boxer wives tale about how if you eat 5 pies with each meal it makes you strong
I agree with you about bad habits. But with less than 25 amatuer fights, far less than 20 professional fights, and at chronologically 22 years of age, he has all the time in the world. Maybe he even has to loose a couple to get him in the right mindset, but time is on his side.

Publicity because of his name? That is an insult to the great trainers who are interested in him. How about tremendous potential due to his combination of size and hand speed, and his being competitive in the amatuers with guys like David Price though he had far less fights?

He is visiting Stewart because he realizes that he is not what he was hyped up to be. He has talked about retirement after the the first McDermott and the Powers fight. Instead of retiring he has manned it up and tried to improve instead. Good for him.

I am not British and don't understand the gyspsy hate, but if he sticks with Steward, his condition will get much bettter.

Bottom line: We understand that he needs an overhaul, and are thus very excited about his contact with Steward. Fury has realized his serious weaknesses and has moved to correct them. Hopefully, he will stay with Steward, and, if he does, the sky is the limit on his potential.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2010, 05:25 AM   #47
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I'd like it to be different but I just don't see how it's possible. He needs so much work doing. Like someone above said, His only hope of ever going above domestic level is to forget popularity, fighting regularly, building his name. Stick with Stewart, train train train train for a few years with a fight here and there, he needs completely redeveloping
He doesn't need completely redeveloping, that's nonsense. He just needs bringing on. He's a natural fighter: Excellent size, good speed and power, good chin and despite what people say good stamina.
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #48
boxfans

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirpa View Post
He doesn't need completely redeveloping, that's nonsense. He just needs bringing on. He's a natural fighter: Excellent size, good speed and power, good chin and despite what people say good stamina.
great post watched tyson train he has a good engine
boxfans is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #49
portside
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
The longer someone has boxed, the longer their habits are ingrained, the longer it takes the change them. Fury needs a total overhaul, anyone who thinks that on his current path of how he trains and fights thinks he's ever going to go above domestic is day dreaming.

Over the course of the last 2 years many notable trainers in the US heard of Tyson Fury, due to the publicity he was getting here in combination with his name, and raised an interest... until they actually saw him fight.

If he was an unknown training with Stewart then perhaps he wouldn't have the distraction or expectation that he currently does and would train accordingly, but that isn't the case. I imagine he's going to pick up a few things, then continue as he has been doing.

From his physical shape I can only assume his team don't agree with road running, or have some gypsy boxer wives tale about how if you eat 5 pies with each meal it makes you strong
don,t underestimate a gypsy[traveler], all travelers no a lot about tyson, were a small comunity, with a lot of hope for him to do well, its a nown fact that tyson works very hard in the gym, runs many miles, infact he,s prone to overtrain, his problem is the 20 hours a day when he's not in the gym, he once ate over 100 worth of mcdonalds in a bet, he can eat six birthday size cakes at 1 sitting, when travelers can go on the internet and get info on correct healthy eating info and im sure tyson has had many diet sheets, and many supplement companys offering free goods, but you can take a horse to water but can't make it drink it, i hope tyson improves with his u.s. trainer, and goodluck to him for trying,but boxing is a longterm thing, when you can put a stone on in 48hrs then it doesen't take long to undo months of hardwork.
portside is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #50
boxing4eva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
That depends on what your expectations are. If he wants to be a domestic level boxer that maybe strays into euro level, like many British heavy weights such as Skelton, Sprott and so on, then yeah I think if he improves on what he's doing he'll achieve that. But if you're talking about competing at world class then forget about it, It doesn't matter if he's "young", "still learning", there isn't a chance unless he radically redevelops himself
boxing4eva is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #51
KingCobra
IBF World Champion
ESB Addict

Good match. If Steward can't sort Fury out no-one can. Hope it becomes permanent.
KingCobra is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2010, 02:10 AM   #52
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Steward is the perfect trainer for Fury.
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #53
11player
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fury desperatelly needs to lear how to use his size, control de distance, how to protect himself, his defensive skills are poor, McDermott was hitting him at will, and Steward is the perfect trainer to teach him all that.
11player is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #54
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

I'd say he does to be honest, he pushes the jab, cant seem to fight on the backfoot, has a poor defense, although I agree with you about the bolded.

Quote:
That depends on what your expectations are. If he wants to be a domestic level boxer that maybe strays into euro level, like many British heavy weights such as Skelton, Sprott and so on, then yeah I think if he improves on what he's doing he'll achieve that. But if you're talking about competing at world class then forget about it, It doesn't matter if he's "young", "still learning", there isn't a chance unless he radically redevelops himself

Agree. I think he lacks world class power, and that the only thing that could negate that in order to help him operate on a world class level, is if he were especially good technically, or defensively, he doesn't tick on of those criteria's for me, although he is fun to watch.
gooners!! is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #55
antcull
Champion
East Side Guru

Steward is actually perfect for him.

Fury seems to be oblivious as to how to use his massive height and reach advantages in fights, Steward is the best at getting tall HWs to use these attributes. Fury is so raw but the potential to do something is there. As I've said in other threads regarding Fury nobody will know what the HW division will be like when the Klits are gone and Fury should be entering close to his prime around the time Wlad is retiring.

He needs to put in a lot of hardwork, which Steward should get out of him.

Lets hope it does happen for Furys sake.
antcull is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #56
MaliBua
Champion
East Side Guru

This is going to end up in a catastrophe.
MaliBua is online now  Top
Old 10-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #57
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I'd say he does to be honest
I think we're just debating terminology. I don't see how a fighter so raw can need redeveloping. Ricky Hatton went to Mayweather to be redeveloped, Pac was redeveloped by Roach, Wlad was redeveloped by Steward. All these were fighters with ingrained styles of fighting, mid-late in their careers that were not going to fulfil their potential with their styles.

Fury, as yet, is too raw to need redeveloping. He just needs developing.
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #58
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Good for Fury, I hope it works out for him, gets the best out of his physical attributes.
JonOli is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum