Fight Will Happen, Morales on points. 1 4.17%
Fight will happen, Marquez via stoppage/DQ. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987
Question Morales v Marquez on the cards?

Just speculation at this point, but the more I think about it, the more logical it becomes.

Morales has been working down to 140lbs since his comeback, he's already been gifted a WBC 'Silver' light-welterweight title with his 6 round destruction of Willie Limond.

Marquez obviously has fought as high as 147lbs against Mayweather, and there was talk of him moving to 140lbs before the second Juan Diaz fight was announced.

It's an opportunity for the only fighters in the Fab Four of Morales, Marquez, Barrera and Pacquiao to finally fight each other and complete the entire set. It's obviously two huge names, and it's a chance for both to become the first Mexican to win titles in 4 different weight divisions.

The problem would be the belt they target. I'm not sure it's a fight the IBF would look for, it's got a WBC title fight written all over it, especially as they've given Morales that silver title. Obviously Alexander is the champion at the moment and the belt will go to the winner of his fight with Bradley.

The more I think about it, I'm thinking the WBC will find a reason to strip the winner of that fight [the winner being likely to face the winner of Khan/Maidana, so it will probably be that they will strip Bradley/Alexander of the belt for taking a unification instead and not fulfilling a mandatory].

So, do you think this fight will come off. If so, who do you think will win? Will it be Marquez, who would probably be a heavy favourite on current form, or Morales, underdog but probably regenerated after his break and subsequent calculated comeback?

EDIT: Sorry, ****ed up the poll. Last option is supposed to be Morales via stoppage/DQ, so select that if you think he will stop Marquez or win via disqualification and I will try and find a way to fix the poll.
TommyV is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
LukeO
Erik Morales is God
East Side VIP

vCash: 133
Default Re: Morales v Marquez on the cards?

Morales is God.
LukeO is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeO View Post
Morales is God.
Yes he is. I hope he will become the first Mexican to get that 4th title in a fourth weight division, he really deserves it. He deserved it against David Diaz to be honest, so I hope justice is served.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
LukeO
Erik Morales is God
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
Yes he is. I hope he will become the first Mexican to get that 4th title in a fourth weight division, he really deserves it. He deserved it against David Diaz to be honest, so I hope justice is served.
I'm trying to remain realistic about him though. Sorta get that 'cheering on duran at the end of his career' feel.
LukeO is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
SportsLeader
Chilling
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
I doubt he will beat Marquez. I know JMM isn't the msot comfortable at 140, but it's not a huge step up in weight and he will likely retain a large portion of his speed and power from 135. Morales seemes weight drained before the Limond fight, and was getting outboxed by Limond for portions of that fight. As we know, Limond isn't a particularly good fighter so Marquez would be a big step up in class for Morales post-comeback. In my opinion, he is far too past it to beat JMM, and Morales would get comfortably decisioned. It is likely this fight will happen, but it could hinge on wether Marquez can get past Katsidis.
SportsLeader is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsLeader View Post
I doubt he will beat Marquez. I know JMM isn't the msot comfortable at 140, but it's not a huge step up in weight and he will likely retain a large portion of his speed and power from 135. Morales seemes weight drained before the Limond fight, and was getting outboxed by Limond for portions of that fight. As we know, Limond isn't a particularly good fighter so Marquez would be a big step up in class for Morales post-comeback. In my opinion, he is far too past it to beat JMM, and Morales would get comfortably decisioned. It is likely this fight will happen, but it could hinge on wether Marquez can get past Katsidis.
Yeah I know, I think Marquez will end up stopping him. He's still up there with the world-elite and Morales obviously at this point isn't. It's one match-up where you don't really look at style and it all hangs on the class disparity at this point.

I think the match-up could still happen even if Katsidis manages to beat Marquez. I don't think the will, I think unfortunately for the Aussie, Marquez will find huge gaps in his defence and pick him apart for a comfortable points win/possibly late cuts stoppage. I think even if he loses though, he's still a name enough to get a title shot at 140. I think it's largely dependant on both Morales beating Barrios, and on the WBC [i.e, whether they want the fight and whether they are going to find a way to make the title vacant].
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
SportsLeader
Chilling
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah I know, I think Marquez will end up stopping him. He's still up there with the world-elite and Morales obviously at this point isn't. It's one match-up where you don't really look at style and it all hangs on the class disparity at this point.

I think the match-up could still happen even if Katsidis manages to beat Marquez. I don't think the will, I think unfortunately for the Aussie, Marquez will find huge gaps in his defence and pick him apart for a comfortable points win/possibly late cuts stoppage. I think even if he loses though, he's still a name enough to get a title shot at 140. I think it's largely dependant on both Morales beating Barrios, and on the WBC [i.e, whether they want the fight and whether they are going to find a way to make the title vacant].
Jose Sulaiman likes him his Mexicano's. If the bout's for a title belt, it's more than likely to be the WBC.

I'd rather Marquez fought Soto before moving up. I don't particularly like Soto, and it would be good for Maruez to unify another belt at 135 before potentially fighting Morales. I think he could comfortably control the lightweight division for the remainder of his career. However I fear he will chase a trilogy with Pacman to no end, and with the added weight and Marquez's own deterioration, that could be potentially career ending for Marquez. I want him to fulfill his legacy, but fighting Pacquiao is not a good idea for JMM.
SportsLeader is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
Dude
lost my car
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1521

Morales won't win at this stage in his career and I won't fool myself into believing he would win. I hope it doesn't happen.
Dude is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
LukeO
Erik Morales is God
East Side VIP

I like that Morales can only win by UD in the poll.
LukeO is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
SNV
Sugar Nikolai Valuev
ESB Jr Member

I think Morales is done, and once he fights a top opponent he'll be exposed as a shot fighter. Limond and Alfaro are OK wins but he fought them both well above their peak weights, and he looked fat and slow in parts. If he can beat Barrios, who is much more of a live opponent at this stage I'll reconsider but right now I think Marquez would beat Morales easily.
SNV is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
Kush
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Morales by KO.
Kush is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
nastynas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I love Morales, and I dont want to see my second favorite fighter ever destroyed way past his prime by Marquez.
nastynas is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528

Marquez would put Morales in an Early grave at this point.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488

Morales is a legend, I hope he can pull it off would be a fitting end to a career where he's entertained so much.
Arcane is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
ed7890
Col. Hunter Gathers
ESB Addict

vCash: 1127

It does seem like something that could happen alright, hope it doesn't though. Wish Morales had stayed retired.

If it happens Marquez by stoppage.
ed7890 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum