Old 10-28-2010, 06:00 AM   #31
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rate the Chances of these European Heavies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Pulev - Think he's overrated to be honest. I appreciate him fighting good competition early but his footwork is a joke. He really doesn't move at all well. I don't think he has a great work-rate, and his power while good is going to get less and less against better competition and I think his lack of work-rate and footwork will make him easily outboxed. Imagine him against somebody like Eddie Chambers, not a good look. 6/10.

Glazkov - I rate this guy as a prospect. Because he's athletic and coordinated, he really moves quite nicely, puts combinations together well, not great power but makes up with it with work-rate and decent speed. Yep, think he's decent and has a chance long-term. 7.5/10.

Boytsov - I consider him further progressed. I don't think he's got a great chance against any of the current champions but he's one of the best prospects to pick up a title down the road if he can steer clear of injuries. He was more of a pressure fighter coming up but now he's more of a boxer puncher. I notice he's very very accurate with his punching, well drilled and is probably the most heavy handed on this list. Size is a bit of a concern but oh well. 8/10.

David Price - Fought truely awful comp of the Latvian cabdriver variety so its hard to judge him. I don't think he uses his size too well and mixes it up in close too much which with his chin from the amateur days is not a good sign. Needs to watch the Klitschko's and learn how to use his size better and to commit to his jab a lot more. 4/10.

Abusamalaov - What's with his conditioning? He's in poor shape and it reflects on his speed. I also think he looks very crude at times compared to the above prospects. Seems very heavy handed but to me he's not in championship fighting condition and I find it tough to rate him accordingly. 5/10 possibly rising to 6/10 if he improves his conditioning somewhat.

Helenius - Never rated him as much as I've wanted to buy into the 'Nordic Nightmare'. Very upright, looks like an oak tree and I wouldn't say he's very athletic or co-ordinated like some big men but he is decently schooled and has a dig. But then again he keeps getting the job done so maybe I should reevaluate. I'm going to rate him somewhere between Pulev who I think he could outbox and Glazkov who I think may be too mobile for him. 6.5/10.

Pianeta - Basically the Arthur Abraham of the heavyweights. Huge guy but doesn't really impose himself on a fight, he more or less waits for his opportunities. Too easily outworked against decent operators, won't make it further than his current level. 4/10.

Fury - Impressive handspeed for his size, decent offense. Terrible defence though (yet decent chin) and hasn't learnt the inside game. Not the most co-ordinated, punched himself and looks like he's off balance a lot. I think he's got some raw talent but needs a hell of a lot of polishing and also I don't rate his power at all. 4/10.
A bit harsh on Pulev. You don't think he moves well? I think Pulev would decision Chambers with another year's worth of experience as he hits harder, is more active, is a harder man ( i think ) than Dimitrenko.
Mendoza is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #32
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
What do I base this on? Experience on watching boxing for 30+ years. As we know in the heavyweight division the ability to take a punch is paramount. I watch how guys react when they are hit, and if they change tactics once they are hit.

Did you see Pulev vs. Timurziev? Pulev was almost out. Im not saying Pulev has a glass jaw. Far from it! Its just he doesnt react as well as Glazkov does when he gets hit. When Pulev gets hit, I think it bothers him a tad, and forces him to changes tactics. Pulev is not the type to trade bombs with an equally skilled opponent. Glazkov can and will.

I have seen Glazkov take hard shots from Camarelle without flinching or changing tactics. That is the sign of a man with a top level chin and confidence in his ability to take it. In my opinion Cammarelle is a better knock out puncher than Timurziev was. I hope that explains my thinking.

It should be noted that Glazkov was competitive with Cammarelle, even though Cammarelle had a huge edge on experience. Cammarelle was far and away the best amateur super heavy since Povetkin retired. Its a pity Cammarelle wont turn pro. He had the good to be something special, but I get the hunch he lacks some toughness. Glazkov has added muscle the right way since he has turned professional. In my opinion he will prove to be a serious contender in the division.
No i haven't, i was wondering if you'd seen him troubled or hurt in the am's.

Both the Cammarelle and Zhang fights from the 07 worlds are great performances. That Cammarrelle fight could have gone either way imo.

Glazkov was up to 230 in his 3rd or 4th pro fight which i was glad to see but he's dropped back down to 219/220. I'd like to see him a bit heavier cuz he has the frame to carry it imo (230-235). The announcers said he just had a baby if i remember correctly so hopefully his weight losss is just on account of being preoccupied with his newborn.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2010, 04:51 AM   #33
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

I don't agree that Camarelle hits harder than Timurziev. Timurziev was a murderous puncher, for all of his disadvantages, which is why so many people were so high on him going pro. I don't think being rocked by a guy like him says you have bad punch resistance.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 AM   #34
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47 View Post
I don't agree that Camarelle hits harder than Timurziev. Timurziev was a murderous puncher, for all of his disadvantages, which is why so many people were so high on him going pro. I don't think being rocked by a guy like him says you have bad punch resistance.
I think Camarelle's left hook was the single hardest shot in the amateur game. Timurziev could bang to the body, and had a very good right hand.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #35
Fullhouse
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

See Pulev is rated very high here. Hes fighting Dominick Guinn tomorrow on the Sylvester-Oral undercard, for those whore interested.
Fullhouse is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #36
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
A bit harsh on Pulev. You don't think he moves well? I think Pulev would decision Chambers with another year's worth of experience as he hits harder, is more active, is a harder man ( i think ) than Dimitrenko.
Not really, I think he stands in the same spot for about 30 seconds at a time and at other times he has a really odd movement where he waddles like some type of penguin. I will say he's accurate though, he found lovely punches to stop Skelton and Batchelder.

My point is if he had somebody like Povetkin or Arreola even Glazkov on him he'd be in a bit of trouble because he doesn't really fight like he could outbox somebody that will maintain work-rate, the way Batchelder was cutting him down and outmaneouvring him until Pulev found that shot was concerning and at the same time he's not going to stop everyone because he's not a murderous puncher. Something about him as an overall package does not add up to me.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2010, 01:15 AM   #37
SimplyTheBest
Heavyweight Destroyer
ESB Addict

vCash: 1828

Lucian Bot is a no-hoper. He's 30 already, he's got no power, and as long as he's managed in Romania he'll either continue to be not very active and face total crap opposition because theres no money to promote him and bring in anyone decent to fight inside corrupt as hell Romania....or someone could sponsor him to go to somewhere in W.Europe and be someone elses punching bag to pad their own record with. The same goes for HW Bogdan Dinu.

They're pretty much just fillers for Bute/Diaconu/Jo Jo Dan undercards in Romania.
SimplyTheBest is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2010, 03:32 AM   #38
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTheBest View Post
Lucian Bot is a no-hoper. He's 30 already, he's got no power, and as long as he's managed in Romania he'll either continue to be not very active and face total crap opposition because theres no money to promote him and bring in anyone decent to fight inside corrupt as hell Romania....or someone could sponsor him to go to somewhere in W.Europe and be someone elses punching bag to pad their own record with. The same goes for HW Bogdan Dinu.

They're pretty much just fillers for Bute/Diaconu/Jo Jo Dan undercards in Romania.
Aewsome Someone knows some fo the low tier guys! Thanks.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2010, 03:34 AM   #39
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Not really, I think he stands in the same spot for about 30 seconds at a time and at other times he has a really odd movement where he waddles like some type of penguin. I will say he's accurate though, he found lovely punches to stop Skelton and Batchelder.

My point is if he had somebody like Povetkin or Arreola even Glazkov on him he'd be in a bit of trouble because he doesn't really fight like he could outbox somebody that will maintain work-rate, the way Batchelder was cutting him down and outmaneouvring him until Pulev found that shot was concerning and at the same time he's not going to stop everyone because he's not a murderous puncher. Something about him as an overall package does not add up to me.
Thaks for your rundowns. I guess if you don't have faith in Pulev against a pressure fighter, then he picked the right guy in guinn, who is one of those guys who has some skills but often just seems to forget to fight.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #40
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

"Jerome Le Banner"
Jerome Le Banner is not a boxer even if he sometimes boxes to help selling a card on his name. He is a good Muay-Thai and K1 fighter with victories over Hoost, Bonjasky, Hunt etc.
Fitir is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #41
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitir View Post
"Jerome Le Banner"
Jerome Le Banner is not a boxer even if he sometimes boxes to help selling a card on his name. He is a good Muay-Thai and K1 fighter with victories over Hoost, Bonjasky, Hunt etc.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #42
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:

I don't think Pulev is a grind it out go to war type of fighter by design. Neither is Wlad. The question is, can any of the young guns take Pulev's quick left and stinging combinations, without losing heart and make it a war? They all have a plan until they get hit. Pulev's toughest match up will be vs. a guy with a top level chin, who also has power and heart.

I do think Pulev can move around the ring rather well when he wants to. He needs to stay under 245. I think 235 would be perfect for him.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #43
ludwig
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

It's too bad Guinn wasn't aggressive after Round 2. So it wasn't quite the test we expected.

Pulev is definitely one to follow. He's now 21st on Boxingrec, and will possibly move into the Top 20 once the alphabet soups adjust their ratings.

But since he's stilll fighting 8-rounders, he will need some more time to develop...unlike Helenius who looks set to make a title run soon.
ludwig is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #44
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

It would be interesting to revisit this thread in in 2012 to see how our predications went.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #45
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
It's too bad Guinn wasn't aggressive after Round 2. So it wasn't quite the test we expected.

Pulev is definitely one to follow. He's now 21st on Boxingrec, and will possibly move into the Top 20 once the alphabet soups adjust their ratings.

But since he's stilll fighting 8-rounders, he will need some more time to develop...unlike Helenius who looks set to make a title run soon.
Outside of rounds though, I think Helenius is still much less of a finished product than Pulev. Helenius might start challenging top guys soon, but I personally thinks he needs at least two more years before making a run at the top. He's been improving, but slowly. He really needs to improve his footwork and defense before becoming a top guy, and he could stand to tighten up the jab as well. I do like how he'll attack the body even though he's a tall guy.
Brickhaus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum