Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 11-05-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
DownUnderBoxing
Boxing Video Production
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Dumped Rawlins may shun Australia

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

A BOXER dumped from the Australian amateur team, despite winning a world championship qualifier, has landed a plum spot on an international team that will pay him to box professionally without forfeiting his chance to qualify for the Olympics.

But super-heavyweight boxer Trent Rawlins, 24, said he may never fight for Australia again because of a dispute over a racist slur from national boxing coach Bodo Andreass, who did not select him for the recent Commonwealth Games in Delhi, where Australia had one of its worst results in 37 years.

Rawlins is the only Australian chosen to represent team Miami in an innovative venture called World Series of Boxing, run by the International Amateur Boxing Association, with the backing of the International Management Group.

The boxers have been drawn from AIBA's 196 affiliated national federations.

Rawlins leaves Australia unsatisfied that Boxing Australia has properly dealt with the racist incident.

The Australian Institute of Sport boxing coach was fined $5000 for calling Rawlins a ''blackie'' during a training session last year and warned that a repeat incident would cost him his job.

But six months of mediation with sporting officials through the Human Rights Commission has failed to produce an acceptable outcome.

Rawlins, a two-time national amateur super heavyweight champion, is from Melbourne, but his parents are from Barbados and South Africa, making him eligible for either country.

He said he does not believe he can compete for Australia while Andreass is still in a senior position.

''I can represent South Africa or Barbados. It has been something that I had to consider but it's been very, very difficult because I'm not from South Africa or Barbados,'' he said.

''But to reach my goal to go to the Olympics, it's something I might have to look at. But it saddens me.

''I believe Boxing Australia particularly, have just swept it under the carpet.''

His lawyer, Siobhan Keating of Maurice Blackburn, said the fine does not go far enough and that Rawlins would seek compensation.

However the boxer will now be paid to fight. Each WSB team, or franchise, has put in up to $7 million to fund the competition, which they hope to recoup by selling TV rights to the series. Some of the higher-profile boxers are believed to be on million-dollar contracts.

Rawlins, a former reserve-grade rugby league player with the Sydney Rabbitohs, will be paid an undisclosed salary for three years plus bonuses when he fights against other American teams. The winners will then form regional teams for the finals series.

He leaves for Miami today to begin training under top US trainer Pat Burns.

The competition begins in two weeks when teams from the US, Europe and Asia begin elimination rounds, before the best from each region fight each other in the finals, scheduled for March.

Rawlins's coach, Gerry Murphy, said the boxer had learned quickly and that his strengths were in his punching power and his solid defence.

''It's a big compliment for him to be chosen and it proves I'm on the right track too with the kind of training I do. It's a bit of a poke in the eye for Bodo Andreass because he thought he wasn't good enough to go to the worlds,'' Murphy said.
DownUnderBoxing is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 346
Default Re: Dumped Rawlins may shun Australia

I am a bit lost with this one, dont get me wrong, i feel sorry for this guy and whats occured is wrong but something here to me does not sound right.

Quote:
A BOXER dumped from the Australian amateur team, despite winning a world championship qualifier, has landed a plum spot on an international team that will pay him to box professionally without forfeiting his chance to qualify for the Olympics.

But super-heavyweight boxer Trent Rawlins, 24, said he may never fight for Australia again because of a dispute over a racist slur from national boxing coach Bodo Andreass, who did not select him for the recent Commonwealth Games in Delhi, where Australia had one of its worst results in 37 years.
From my understanding, you win a state title ABA in the same year the trials are on, the winners from each state title go to the Nationals, the winner of the Nationals represents Australia at the games.

How is this process not taken and Bodo can hand pick ? i thought you fought your way into the position and thats how it was earned, not given to you by the head coach from Germany.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
boxoncottonon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 850

Maybe young Trent could fight Ty in his Pro Boxing debut?
boxoncottonon is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Id have to grow a forth leg m8, the guy is pretty huge lol ...
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 AM   #5
Sprawla
Contender
ESB Senior Member

there is more to this story then we are hearing, this rawling guy is a tool
Sprawla is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Johnny Boy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawla View Post
Well let us in on it Sprawla.
Johnny Boy is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
fast hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawla View Post

Nice try Bodo !
fast hands is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think his got a point Fasthands. Lets say its the year of commonwealth games, you have just won the ABA state title, this entitles you to enter the Nationals which is the selection process for the commonwealth games team. you win the National title and then the head coach doesnt PICK you to go to the games? mmmmmm something just doesnt smell right here, i think that this guy is using whats occur to boost his shares in the market with a bit of free publicity. He has a right to complain but more information is required if we are to swallow what is being told.

ie hows the process of the elminations fail and bodo is able to hand pick the team? If this is true then the entire ABA in this country is in shambles which is news to me lol
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

The politics of the squeaky clean amateurs! LOL Does anyone remember the fact that Troy Waters was selected to go to the Olympics .He was even measured up for his blazer. His father Cec had a falling out with Arthur Tunstall and Troy was Kicked off the Team.
boxon123 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum