yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: MonaroCountry's top 10 HW fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs View Post
And Overeem was fighting....

overeem also didnt just come off a major beatdown loss.
yaca you is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #32
moreorless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
I can see where your coming from, I would rank him a little lower is all. below werdum, fedor, cain, overeem, jds, and and maybe even behind barnett.

I dont think lesnar really ever proved his place at a #2 spot or #1 spot after his 4 fight winning streak. he obtained the ufc title without deserving it by beating a guy who never really was deserving of the title himself and then after that was coming off a more than a year layoff at the age of 45 years old!! brock lesnar was basically a paper champ who only after claiming the title had to prove his legitamacy. which he was on the way to do when cain velasquez smashed him. with only 7 fights in total 2 being losses he doesnt have much of a foothold in any position and can fall quite far down the rankings based on the accomplishments of others and bad performences as well as a loss moreso for one so devestatingly one sided.
Barnett is just something I think you have to say we can't rank right now, he's looked pretty good in the fights he has taken post Pride but I'd need to see him agenst at elast one quality opponant first.

As I said I think there are two kinds of #1 fighter, the guy who's truely established at #1 by coming out ontop of a series of matchs involving all/most of the big names of his era(Fedor, GSP, Anderson) and the guy who's #1 because nobody else deserves to be at the time.

What we've seen is that Zuffa have become very adapt at fooling people that the latter kind of #1 is the former. They did it with Lesnar at HW and they did it with Torres, Faber and Brown in the WEC. People bought hook line and sinker into those three as the kings of their weightclasses and Torres was ranked as high as #2 P4P by many. The reality though was that they had not truely dominated their divisions, they were merely the guys on the best short term runs in a mixed up division that was only starting to come together. Just like Lesnar though fake hype is ultimately exposed in the cage, its a shame so few lessons are learnt though, MMA fans have such short memories and are so influenced by promoters they don't see the obvious patterns of a hype job the same way they don't see that 95% of close decisions go the way of promoters favoured fighters in the US.
moreorless is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #33
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Quote:
overeem also didnt just come off a major beatdown loss.
He said "never" because of the quality of his opponents, yet he has Overeem #2, despite a lower quality of opponents and arguably a worse loss.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #34
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
I can see where your coming from, I would rank him a little lower is all. below werdum, fedor, cain, overeem, jds, and and maybe even behind barnett.

I dont think lesnar really ever proved his place at a #2 spot or #1 spot after his 4 fight winning streak. he obtained the ufc title without deserving it by beating a guy who never really was deserving of the title himself and then after that was coming off a more than a year layoff at the age of 45 years old!! brock lesnar was basically a paper champ who only after claiming the title had to prove his legitamacy. which he was on the way to do when cain velasquez smashed him. with only 7 fights in total 2 being losses he doesnt have much of a foothold in any position and can fall quite far down the rankings based on the accomplishments of others and bad performences as well as a loss moreso for one so devestatingly one sided.

Exactly. The main deciding factor for me was also the skills shown, whereas other fighters showed a range of skills, Brock basically didnt show much of a standup and ground game. You cant honestly be an elite MIXED martial arts fighter if you dont know a MIX of different martial arts.
monaroCountry is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #35
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196osh View Post
Mir is not that great but how the hell is he semi retired?

Mir never ranked in my view, it was Herring and Randy.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #36
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

vCash: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Mir never ranked in my view, it was Herring and Randy.
Why would Mir ever be ranked lower than Herring when Lesnar fought them?
196osh is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #37
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Exactly. The main deciding factor for me was also the skills shown, whereas other fighters showed a range of skills, Brock basically didnt show much of a standup and ground game. You cant honestly be an elite MIXED martial arts fighter if you dont know a MIX of different martial arts.
Well, you can; Aoki.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #38
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Wheres Brock?
chimba is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #39
(PimpThaSystem)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Wow Monaro this list is shit and you have reached a new low in my book. Ranking fighters based on "skills they have shown" is so vague and open to interpretation that it makes my head hurt. Just a terrible way to do rankings. Clearly your using that criteria just so you can rank your favorite fighters like Fedor and Overeem highly while discrediting proven Zuffa fighter's in favor of unproven prospects.

LOL at Del Rosario and Gugenishvili over Cain, Brock, Mir, and Nog. I guess going undefeated against nothing but cans gets you really far with Monaro.
(PimpThaSystem) is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #40
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1065

Monaro's hatred of the UFC means his rankings are the polar opposite, but just as biased. A sensible top 10 would be:

1. Werdum
2. Fedor
3. Velasquez
4. JDS
5. Overeem
6. Barnett
7. Lesnar
8. Mir
9. Bigfoot
10. Carwin
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #41
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

vCash: 277

A pretty good list McKay, but Mir above Carwin? Not long after Carwin scrambled Mirs eggs.
196osh is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #42
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckay_89 View Post
Monaro's hatred of the UFC means his rankings are the polar opposite, but just as biased. A sensible top 10 would be:

1. Werdum
2. Fedor
3. Velasquez
4. JDS
5. Overeem

That's what I would go with for top 5 as well. 4-5 either way.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #43
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1065

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196osh View Post
A pretty good list McKay, but Mir above Carwin? Not long after Carwin scrambled Mirs eggs.
Aye I suppose you're right, I'm putting too much credit on Mir's win over Cro-Cops shell, I'd move him to tenth and put Bigfoot and Carwin up a place each.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #44
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

MoronoCountry's rankings have to be the worst I've seen on this forum.

Fedor loses his last fight, but is ranked 1st? That is just stupid. HE JUST LOST TO SOMEBODY! Fedor has to, at least, be below the person that beat him. It's not like Fedor lost a close decision that you think he won. FEDOR QUIT! Fedor was being choked. He would have died had that been a street fight, and nothing made Werdum let go. Fedor's life was in Werdum's hands, or legs in that case.

Overated, I mean Overeem, number 2? Get the **** out of here with that shit. There is no way you can hold up his resume, read it off, and deliver that ranking with a straight face. That ranking could only be hand signaled by someone with Overeem's dick in that person's mouth. So far, Overeem is a potential force to be reckoned with. He may become as good as Morono thinks he is. He has yet to PROVE it.

Werdum being below Fedor is just ****ing stupid.

Velasquez at 9? A win over Lesnar means nothing, because Lesnar came to prominence faster than you felt he deserved? As unskilled as he may be, defeating Brock Lesnar is a meaningful task.

Let's take a quick look back. Lesnar may not have lived up to the hype, but he did legitimately establish himself as one of the best in his division.

Cro Cop came to the UFC touted by many to be the uncrowned champion. Cro Cop carried a 5 fight win streak, and was only 7 months removed from his victory over Barnett(the guy you have at 3 on your stupid list), when he faced Gonzaga. Gonzaga knocked Filipovic the **** out. Then Cro Cop lost to Kongo, which has to do something to elevate Kongo's status.

Gonzaga goes on to get dominated by Couture. This was just after Couture dominated Tim Sylvia to win the UFC title.

Herring defeats Kongo, which had to at least keep him relevant.

Lesnar dominates Herring. Lesnar, fair or not, gets what is called a "title shot" against Couture. Lesnar beats Couture. Whether or not Lesnar deserved his shot, he still beat Randy and overtook whatever ranking Randy had at that time. Lesnar then avenges his loss against Mir. Mir was coming off a win over Nogueira. Lesnar goes on to beat undefeated challenger, Shane Carwin.

Lesnar is not a proven all time great, but he his noteworthy. It's not like Lesnar has ever lost to someone like Chad Griggs. It takes someone of note to beat him.

I may add more. I may not.

Last edited by rekcutnevets; 11-12-2010 at 09:42 PM.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2010, 12:30 AM   #45
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by (PimpThaSystem) View Post
Wow Monaro this list is shit and you have reached a new low in my book. Ranking fighters based on "skills they have shown" is so vague and open to interpretation that it makes my head hurt. Just a terrible way to do rankings. Clearly your using that criteria just so you can rank your favorite fighters like Fedor and Overeem highly while discrediting proven Zuffa fighter's in favor of unproven prospects.

LOL at Del Rosario and Gugenishvili over Cain, Brock, Mir, and Nog. I guess going undefeated against nothing but cans gets you really far with Monaro.
Oh im so sorry to disappoint you my good Sir, after all I only want to please you. Do you care for some tea and coffee, maybe I could make you some dinner or get you another beer, or even your favorite newspaper perhaps?

Hahahaha your head must hurt often. Instead of having the ranking based on skills shown, achievements, and records etc why dont we just BASE IT ON THE BADDEST LOOKING MOFO AROUND, WITH THE BIGGEST D*%^ TATTOO (SO LONG AS ITS DANA APPROVED).

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum