Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 PM   #151
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Wlad lose a fight in the next 2 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvooh
That's due to the USA not being all in the top 10...I lived back near NY City, and when Borg was about the only non American in tennis, it got front page write ups all the time, but as soon as the foreighnors got to be tops in Tennis, it was hidden in the inside...Same with boxing now...USA guys are not the best, so the coverage aint there...You may ask a rugby fan who Michael Jorden was, and they likely could care less...The press could make all these so called UNKNOWNS popular if they wanted to
Guys like Tyson and Ali were held in high regard all over the world, not just the untied states. It dont matter where your from, if your great people will take notice. I watched a documentary on Tyson before the Lewis' fight, I could of sworn he was just as if not more popular in Britain than Lewis' was. I just cant see America opening there arms to a guy like Wlad, who has no personality or rage to him, he got a PHD for christ sake. I have more respect for guys who made it from the hard streets, than a guy who was raised in a upper middle class family, but thats just my opinion.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2007, 12:12 AM   #152
2smart4u
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Weight

A bunch of excuses followed by 'his chin is fine'

Yep, coming to a nut-house near you....
I love when you show up after I leave ! And you still cant make a boxing based argument !
2smart4u is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2007, 12:55 AM   #153
LennoxGOAT
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
Im gonna be dead honest with you CHEF, it wouldnt do well in america. If your taking about Europe, it should do well. The average guy dont even know who Wlad is, the only guys that do well on PPV are Hopkins, Oscar, Holyfield, and Pac. The Heavyweight division is unpopular in the states now adays, most people couldnt even name one title holder if you went around and posed the question in a bar.

Wrong on a few points. First, Wlad has a bigger US following than you believe. His Mercer fight was by far highest rated non ppv fight for HBO for a long time. All his fights on HBO are routinely at the top except for the Austin fight which was a disaster in ratings.

The reason he is not on PPV is purely for policy reasons. He doesn't want his fans to pay for his fights. He has said this to ad nauseum. I am not trying to paint him as a saint, because part of the reason he doesn't want his fights on PPV is because he makes a ton on the HBO contract combined with his european tv contracts.
LennoxGOAT is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2007, 08:13 AM   #154
Fighting Weight
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2smart4u
I love when you show up after I leave ! And you still cant make a boxing based argument !
So in your world I should sit on here 24x7 waiting for you to come online before I dare post? As I said, coming to a nut-house near you....

Ah yes I should make a boxing based argument on you saying that WALD has a better chin than Holy based on Holy getting staggered by Cooper or stopped at 40 years old by Toney when WALD has been on the floor how many times now, and to how many bums? You also seem to be hinting that Holy going 12 rounds with Holmes and Foreman is in some way an indication of his poor chin, I'll leave that up to you to explain

I'll save my energy thanks.
Fighting Weight is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #155
Fighting Weight
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I watched a documentary on Tyson before the Lewis' fight, I could of sworn he was just as if not more popular in Britain than Lewis' was.
I can vouch for that - Tyson was, and probably still is just as popular as Lewis over here. As for WALD well only hard core boxing fans know who he is, the casual fans probably couldn't even name a heavyweight belt holder these days. Yet this division is as strong as ever if you listen to the Klit-ites
Fighting Weight is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #156
DavidPayne
***.boxingwriter.co.uk
ESB Jr Member

I think its a cast iron certainty, if Klitschko fights 5-8 times in the next two years he'll lose.

Would you making him a strong favourite not to get clipped by Peter or Maskaev if they were to mee. I wouldn't. Klitschko is vulnerable. Not to say he isn't the top man, but he's vulnerable.

The chance may come too early for Povetkin, or too late for Tony Thompson, who I think has chances too.
DavidPayne is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #157
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Weight
I can vouch for that - Tyson was, and probably still is just as popular as Lewis over here. As for WALD well only hard core boxing fans know who he is, the casual fans probably couldn't even name a heavyweight belt holder these days. Yet this division is as strong as ever if you listen to the Klit-ites
I know am I so called hater of Wlad, but I do give him props from time to time. I know alot of Wlad fans dont like to hear this, but the man is not popular in the states and wouldnt do well over here on PPV. His brother Vitali was more popular when he fought, more people knew he was the champ, and I think because he was alot tougher in the ring and able to take a punch without falling all over the place.

I think if Wlad beats Povetkin he might become a little more popular, but I doubt he will get much props in the states. The UFC seems to be what all the young guys are following now adays, and the few super fights that are put on the during in boxing, but the the Heavyweight division has been lacking popularity for awhile now.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #158
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

Quote:
Wlad has looked unbeatable in his last 2 years, beating his last 4 oppenents by knockout. In the next 2 years there are handful oppenents he will probably end up fighting, Iggy, Povetkin/Chambers, Thompson, and maybe Chagaev. So does anyone see Wlad losing to one of these fighters in the next 2 years, or is this gay fighter destined to rule the weak division for the rest of the decade and beyond?
throw in another win over that fat, talentless nigerian; and i would say you're spot-on
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #159
Lacyace
Forever Knight
ESB Addict

vCash: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennoxGOAT
Wrong on a few points. First, Wlad has a bigger US following than you believe.
'Tis true. Wlad is one of the few boxers that ESPN shows highlights for. Mostly everyone else gets the 'whatever' treatment.
Lacyace is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum