Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #16
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5461
Default Re: Southpaws Are You The Only One In Your Gym?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
I'm the only southpaw in the area that I know of, but I'm switching to orthodox since I'm actually right handed... which feels weird as ****
see thats the thing at first since i was the only one my head coach wanted to convert me and started me out orthodox. It was weird as hell even though i was addicted to jabbing and throwing left hooks but my right hand was pathetic like seriously.

Once the assistant coach saw that she told me to switch back and right off the bat i was doing better and felt more comfortable so the orthodox stance is not an option for me.
evalistinho is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #17
darryl1914
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I only go to my Boxing Gym in the Morning hours 7AM-Noon...But in that crowd, there are several Southpaws, And there is surprisingly a large Diversity of Fighters here in Albuqerque. Although there are only two Black Boxers (me & a kid from Seattle) in the gym, Also there are two Black MMA fighters that train in the morning.

There is a Boricua Lefty, a Southpaw from Panama, two Mexican Lefties, A Pinoy Lefty, one white amatuer lefty, two southpaws from Cuba, and me (A Black American Boxer). But because this is the Westcoast (Southwest actually) Just like when I lived in Vegas and San Diego...I am the Biggest Boxer at 6ft 1 1/2 199lbs. In this Part of the country, it's mostly Latinos and Asians Fighters...so the majority of the Boxers are less than 154lbs. In my gym it's 130lbs-168lbs...although there is a Mexican Heavyweight who normally trains at night....but has recently been coming in the morning.

Last edited by darryl1914; 11-18-2010 at 05:52 AM.
darryl1914 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #18
Eraser

vCash: 500

I think the distribution in my gym is almost the same as it is out in the world - about one of every 10-15. I'm definitely not the only one, although I haven't sparred with another southpaw in quite a while. My first regular sparring partner was a southpaw, but for the most part it's been nothing but orthodox opponents. (With the exception of one pro who used the opportunity of sparring with this inexperienced southpaw to practice switching stance. That was kind of fun.)
Eraser is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #19
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by evalistinho View Post
see thats the thing at first since i was the only one my head coach wanted to convert me and started me out orthodox. It was weird as hell even though i was addicted to jabbing and throwing left hooks but my right hand was pathetic like seriously.

Once the assistant coach saw that she told me to switch back and right off the bat i was doing better and felt more comfortable so the orthodox stance is not an option for me.
I wish my coach would just let me be, sparring is becoming a pain in the ass when I can't let my hands go.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #20
Scott-Robson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 15444

I'm the only southpaw in my gym, it makes it awkward when we do partner work because everyone is used to being partnered with orthodox fighters, and it confuses things a little
Scott-Robson is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #21
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I have a weird experience...my older brother is a south paw...so i use to always spar him..when i first started boxing..my other brother..who is right handed...also did some boxing..and he fought out of a south paw stance..so i sparred him..then at my gym...all my 4 (6 if you include my two brothers) of the 8 guys who i have regular sparred over the years have been south paws..overall i have likely sparred twice as many rounds aganst left handers as i have against right handers....

hence i am better at fighting south paws.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #22
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

Quite a lot of SPs where I'm at. Makes a more interesting match up. I hate orthos to be honest, just because of the leg obstruction and fighting over the same trajectory path for jabs. Can become more annoying than challenging.
Pugsley is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #23
krisby

I've recently joined a new gym, I'm the only southpaw boxer there but luckily 2 of the 3 coaches are also southpaws and have a lot of ring experience
krisby is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing