Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
quest
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 97
vCash: 1000
Default If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

Both trained by Cus d'mato, same defense with power and very fast hands. Although according to D'mato himself Tyson was faster,more powerful and the more improved version
quest is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 405
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

what would prime tyson do?

he'd get knocked out.

patterson could fight with a consistent strategy...tyson could not...big difference.

patterson vs holy would have been a GREAT fight
hobgoblin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,613
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

A reverse argument could be made in the form of " If Douglas, Tucker, Smith, and Bruno gave Tyson trouble, then what would prime Ali do?"
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
quest
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 97
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
A reverse argument could be made in the form of " If Douglas, Tucker, Smith, and Bruno gave Tyson trouble, then what would prime Ali do?"
the reason i used Tyson was because they both had similiar styles although Tyson was not past his Prime.
quest is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

It must of course be bourne in mind that The Ali that fought Patterson was drifting along on his world Roadshow tour and going over old ground with Quarry, Patterson and Chavalo, Basically Ali was just going through the motions, you saw what happened Went Ali put his foot on the Gas a Little, Against Tyson Ali would be much more prepared.
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,613
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest
the reason i used Tyson was because they both had similiar styles although Tyson was not past his Prime.
Frazier fought a similar style to Tyson to, and wasn't exactly past his prime either. Of course, he beat Ali in the first fight, but that was following a near 4 year layoff for Muhammad. Ali beat him in thier next two matches. Tony Tucker, who hardly the fighter that Ali was, fought a peak Tyson with an injured hand and managed to go 12 rounds, winning at least 4 of them. Douglas was more or less a journeyman despite his #2 ranking, and who fought a similar style to Ali, only was no where near the fighter, and look at what happened.

It goes both ways when making these comparisons.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
quest
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 97
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Frazier fought a similar style to Tyson to, and wasn't exactly past his prime either. Of course, he beat Ali in the first fight, but that was following a near 4 year layoff for Muhammad. Ali beat him in thier next two matches. Tony Tucker, who hardly the fighter that Ali was, fought a peak Tyson with an injured hand and managed to go 12 rounds, winning at least 4 of them. Douglas was more or less a journeyman despite his #2 ranking, and who fought a similar style to Ali, only was no where near the fighter, and look at what happened.

It goes both ways when making these comparisons.
I see what your saying although i think the comparison with Frazier and tyson is unjust most of the time. They were both agressive and the same height and both had power, but thats where the comparison ends. Tyson had much faster hands, and more power. The power was not just good with the left hook like frazier but equally as devastating with the right hand or uppercut. I also think Tyson's defense was much better something he doesn't get enough credit for. And Tucker lasted the distance but he Lost by UD. People forget Tucker was a skilled fighter. He had very good size,power, handspeed, and moved well on top of having a world class chin. No need to go over the Douglas fight, Tyson clearly wasn't properly prepared in that fight, his conditioning in the Douglas fight doesn't compare to how he looked in the Biggs fight or Pinkleson fight.
quest is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,613
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest
I see what your saying although i think the comparison with Frazier and tyson is unjust most of the time. They were both agressive and the same height and both had power, but thats where the comparison ends. Tyson had much faster hands, and more power. The power was not just good with the left hook like frazier but equally as devastating with the right hand or uppercut. I also think Tyson's defense was much better something he doesn't get enough credit for. And Tucker lasted the distance but he Lost by UD. People forget Tucker was a skilled fighter. He had very good size,power, handspeed, and moved well on top of having a world class chin. No need to go over the Douglas fight, Tyson clearly wasn't properly prepared in that fight, his conditioning in the Douglas fight doesn't compare to how he looked in the Biggs fight or Pinkleson fight.
Below is footage from youtube, one link contains Patterson's greatest hits, while the other shows some of Tyson's highlights. View them both, and tell me what similarities you see between Patterson and Tyson, plus why you feel that Tyson had more in common with patterson than Frazier.

Enjoy!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 2,464
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

come on did patterson really give ali that much trouble?
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 561
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Frazier fought a similar style to Tyson to, and wasn't exactly past his prime either. Of course, he beat Ali in the first fight, but that was following a near 4 year layoff for Muhammad. Ali beat him in thier next two matches. Tony Tucker, who hardly the fighter that Ali was, fought a peak Tyson with an injured hand and managed to go 12 rounds, winning at least 4 of them. Douglas was more or less a journeyman despite his #2 ranking, and who fought a similar style to Ali, only was no where near the fighter, and look at what happened.

It goes both ways when making these comparisons.
Regarding that "near 4 year layoff", Ali actually had more rounds in the ring than Frazier did in the year before their fight.
yancey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #11
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k.
come on did patterson really give ali that much trouble?

According to Janitor, Floyd was winning their second fight on the scorecards.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,613
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
According to Janitor, Floyd was winning their second fight on the scorecards.
Well maybe if Ali and patterson hadn't suffered knockouts to middleweights in sparring, then both would have performed differently.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:22 PM   #13
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,681
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

This depends on which Ali is being used for comparison. Pre-exile 1960's Ali would probably give Tyson the most trouble. Post-exile 1970's Ali would have a tougher fight against Tyson but would still win by decision. 1960's Ali was fast on his feet, but he didn't punch nowhere near as hard as the 1970's Ali. Mike Tyson at his best IMO were the fights against a tough Razor Ruddock. His prime weight at that time hovered between 214 - 217, meaning he still had quickness. The Tyson that fought Lennox Lewis had nothing left, except his punching power.
round15 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #14
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
According to Janitor, Floyd was winning their second fight on the scorecards.
And no amount of proof is going to change his mind, and that my friend, is that
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #15
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 1230
Default Re: If a past prime Patterson gave Ali trouble what would Prime Tyson Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by round15
This depends on which Ali is being used for comparison. Pre-exile 1960's Ali would probably give Tyson the most trouble. Post-exile 1970's Ali would have a tougher fight against Tyson but would still win by decision. 1960's Ali was fast on his feet, but he didn't punch nowhere near as hard as the 1970's Ali. Mike Tyson at his best IMO were the fights against a tough Razor Ruddock. His prime weight at that time hovered between 214 - 217, meaning he still had quickness. The Tyson that fought Lennox Lewis had nothing left, except his punching power.
I think the Tyson circa 1987-1988 was the berst version

The 1991 version IMO was watered down.

Last edited by deram; 10-13-2006 at 05:29 AM.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013