Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-03-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Renofan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Kostya Tszyu

Can someone tell me a bit about his fighting style? I've never seen any of his fights, and I've only heard his name mentioned a few times. Is he an all-time great? Was he an exciting fighter? Any of his fights worth checking out?
Renofan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
Mook
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Kostya Tszyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
He was not quite an ATG, but he was a great fighter, worth checking out, great style. He was a southpaw killer, awesome straight right hand. He had big power and speed in that right and was a KO artist. Definitely woth checking out, definitely exciting.
Good assessment.

I'd add that he was a better boxer after his first loss, though no longer in his physical prime.

Kinda caught in between eras so hard to rate him as an ATG.

Hatton is considered elite today because he beat Tszyu - showing that his scalp was considered something a bit special, even though it was (presumably) the end of his career.
Mook is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think he's close to an ATG. Before Phillips beat him he was pretty much a come-forward destroyer. Incredible power in both hands and relentless aggression.

KT coming out of the amateurs was extremely hyped, he was almost this mythic creature. Remember those were the days before the internet days, and I remember references to him on American TV as being almost unbeatable, but we couldn't see his fights so who knew.

Phillips took his shots and exposed him, but Calabrese is right, KT came back after that a much better fighter, more patient and able to pick his spots yet still aggressive and able to physically bully most opponents.

In his prime, I think Tszyu would give anyone at 140 pounds trouble. Remember Judah was undefeated, 27-0 and considered one of the flashiest boxers around when KT knocked him out. That win and beating Mitchell showed that he could take out slick boxers.

Phillips had the right style to beat him, boxer/puncher who could take KT's shots and had the power to get him out of there, but I think the version of KT say in 1998-2001 is close to ATG status.

He's hurt a little bit because he didn't really have a foil to push him, and many of his wins were against guys who were past it. But if you just look at how good he was, he's up there with any 140 lber of all time.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

ATG at 140 definitely. His loss to Philips tarnish his legacy quite a bit.
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renofan
Can someone tell me a bit about his fighting style? I've never seen any of his fights, and I've only heard his name mentioned a few times. Is he an all-time great? Was he an exciting fighter? Any of his fights worth checking out?
BORKED

BORKED
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum