Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-01-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
neoalphaone

vCash: 500
Default sparring 3 min rounds vs 2 min rounds?

so i just started sparring recently and was wondering if 3 minutes with 30 sec rest is the typical sparring time in most gyms? or do amateurs focus on a 2 min pace? and does anyone do the whole minute rest between rounds at their gym? they do 3 min 30 sec rest at my gym but it makes more sense in my mind to have a full min rest not only so you can be fresher and work on technique more vs fatigue but so you can also fight at a pace that is closer to an actual fight. mimicing the actual event just seems like the best way to go in my mind. as let say for example:world class 100 meter sprinters dont train doing the 200m or mile run to get a better 100 meter time... i see sparring as mainly a time to work on technique/strategy and conditioning is done sperately. while 30 sec is a fair amount of time for rest its still not the official rest time and would influence the sparring pace to differ from actual fight pace/intensity. hope that made some sense. what do you guys think?
neoalphaone is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: sparring 3 min rounds vs 2 min rounds?

At my gym I just get in the ring and there are a few partners, some with experience, some beginners and I just do 4x2 usually with two different partners swapping. Another drill we do Is I'll stand in the middle of the ring and there will be two other guys there, I sparr one for one minute then straight onto the other one for a minute, back to the first and then onto the second to just make a 1x4minute round.
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I fight 3 minute rounds so I spar 3 minute rounds. Usually with 30 seconds rest to help conditioning, and then if we have a fight coming up soon we will use 1 minute rest so you're fresher between rounds and you can do the best you can, and since you're not really gonna improve your cardio in 1 or 2 last sessions anyways.

Even the guys that fight 2 minute rounds spar 3 min rounds, to push the cardio and because it's a pain to constantly be switching the timer backa and fourth.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Dish
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

3 minutes, 1 minute rest. open class is 3 minute rounds now, so only novices fight 2's. 1 minute rest, we push our conditioning outside of sparring.
Dish is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

3 minutes, 30 sec rest at my gym.
vonLPC is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

3 min, 1 min rest
Slacker is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing