Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 12-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Who's doing what in 2011?

Hey boys,

Let's open it up. 2010 is pretty much finished like Paul Williams chin after Sergio Martinez finished with it the other week - done. So give me your predictions for 2011.

Doesn't have to be stupid over the top stuff, just who's moving and doing what in 2011. No right or wrong answers.

I've not bothered with Mundine or Green predictions as they certainly don't care for the Australian public with the way they rob us with their bullshit, so why should we care back? In the words of our shithouse Prime Minister - moving forward...

I'll start.

Daniel Geale -

Has to travel to Germany, but blows Sylvester out with a crushing TKO victory to land the IBF Middleweight title.

Lenny Zapp -

Admittedly, I haven't seen a hell of a lot of the current IBF Lightweight champ - Miguel Vasquez, but going by Lenny's smashing win over the South Korean recently, it sure shapes up as a belter of a bout. If Lenny hit's anyone with one of those overhand rights of his, they'll want to have a top-notch chin, because that's goodnight music right there. Good luck to Lenny for that one.

Billy Dib -

Fights Mikey Garcia for the IBF Featherweight title after Gamboa vacates to face Juan Ma. Garcia is the current mandatory for Gamboa's IBF crown, however before that, Gamboa has a dance partner in Chris John for the WBA 'Super Doopa Woopa' title and then onto big Bob Arum's Featherweight showdown between him and Juan Ma.

Gamboa doesn't face Garcia for no money, hence Garcia takes on the highly IBF rated Dib for the vacated title. Dib get's his shot and is good enough to take Garcia. Garcia can punch, but to be fair, is a little one-dimensional in my opinion.

Will Tomlinson -

'Wild Will' just seems to be ticking over nicely and moving through the WBO rankings quick smart and putting himself in the frame for a shot at the current champ, UK's Ricky Burns.

Ricky is no x-factor fighter, just an honest, do your best type fighter who Frank ****** has looked after really well to get him where he has him, however Tomlinson is more than good enough to win should he get his shot.

Michael Bolling -

I hope this kid comes back strong from his mixed 2010. I rate him highly and think he can really acheive some good things, however I didn't like the South African IBO opportunity from the moment it was announced I have to say.

Michael was super impressive rolling through Victor Organov (using him for target practice in the end of the fight!) and should have been looking at one or two more Aussie scalps before facing someone like Nader Hamdan around this time. That would have seen Michael get some nice 'names' to his resume before rounding out 2010.

2011 should be about doing nothing but getting this young man back, busy and on TV and getting his rythym and confidence back sharp and being 17/18-1 type by the end of 2011 with a regional belt or two so he can be world rated in one or two of the sanctioning bodies, ready to springboard in 2012 and put himself right in the mix for an opportunity then.

I want to see this young man fight 6 times in 2011 on TV, TV and more TV. Did I mention I rate this kid!! (hahaha) Besides being a top young prospect, he's a fine young man also so good luck to him.

Last edited by Contendo; 12-04-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Contendo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2010, 04:28 AM   #2
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Who's doing what in 2011?

Agree with the Tomlinson comments. Getting a shot at Burns will be a task though.
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2010, 04:31 AM   #3
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Burns EASY at this point in time IMO.

Now that I've said that, Coatbridge's finest will probably get bowled over by Evensen!
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2010, 04:51 AM   #4
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

We'll know in 24 hours. War Burns.

Burns wouldn't have an EASY night with Will. IMO.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #5
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post
Burns EASY at this point in time IMO.

Now that I've said that, Coatbridge's finest will probably get bowled over by Evensen!
Nay laddie it will noo happen .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2010, 04:58 AM   #6
shanemfr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mundine will promise to beat the world.....again
shanemfr is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2010, 05:05 AM   #7
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Toyworld??
Old 12-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

I just see Burns as far too experienced for Will at this stage. I wouldn't want to rush Tomlinson into anything just yet. He has plenty of potential.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

I dont feel Dan Geale will TKO Sylvester, so he will need to win at least 9 rounds decisively to have any chance getting the nod in Germany, hope he can do it.

Zappa i feel needs another fight or 2 before facing the weakest champ at 135 in Miguel Vazquez. Another rugged sort maybe perhaps similar to Angulo is needed IMO as Zappa is still a work in progress.

IF Mikey Garcia fights Billy Dib, i expect Mikey to stop Dib in the 2nd half of the bout unless Dib gets on his bike & bores the crowd to sleep & loses a comfortable UD like he did vs Luevano.
Feeding on bums over recent times wont do Dib & his weak mental game any good here. Garcia is much more better than his stablemate Luevano & is 1 of the top punchers at 126 = no chance Dib.

I would like Tomlinson to have another fight or 2, as their is no rush at his age before facing Burns, tho Burns to be honest is a poor world champ & if the opportunity arises Tomlinson could take him easier than i think.

Bolling i agree was a poor move by his team to fight in South Africa, i questioned it at the time, but he gave it a crack at least.
With the loss on his record hopefully not as many Aussies will now avoid him & hopefully he can move back up the tree by the close of 2011.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP

i hope at least 1/2 of Contendo's predictions come true.LZ and DG to become IBF World champions.Les Sherriington
is apparently going overseas Germany or the U.S.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
hope he can make some noise.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy View Post
I dont feel Dan Geale will TKO Sylvester, so he will need to win at least 9 rounds decisively to have any chance getting the nod in Germany, hope he can do it.

Zappa i feel needs another fight or 2 before facing the weakest champ at 135 in Miguel Vazquez. Another rugged sort maybe perhaps similar to Angulo is needed IMO as Zappa is still a work in progress.

IF Mikey Garcia fights Billy Dib, i expect Mikey to stop Dib in the 2nd half of the bout unless Dib gets on his bike & bores the crowd to sleep & loses a comfortable UD like he did vs Luevano.
Feeding on bums over recent times wont do Dib & his weak mental game any good here. Garcia is much more better than his stablemate Luevano & is 1 of the top punchers at 126 = no chance Dib.

I would like Tomlinson to have another fight or 2, as their is no rush at his age before facing Burns, tho Burns to be honest is a poor world champ & if the opportunity arises Tomlinson could take him easier than i think.

Bolling i agree was a poor move by his team to fight in South Africa, i questioned it at the time, but he gave it a crack at least.
With the loss on his record hopefully not as many Aussies will now avoid him & hopefully he can move back up the tree by the close of 2011.
You'll notice Kegs I only outright tipped Geale to win his title.

All I was trying to do is open up some discussion for what people thought some different fighters would be doing. Seems on here of late, it's all about who said what about Green and Mundine in the past (boring) and Lauren Eagle who's an embarrasment to Australian boxing.

Dib, Zappa and Will all I said were good enough to get their shots and good luck to all of them if they do. I do agree about Will needing some more fights and this will only help him for later in 2011 if they can secure a shot vs. Burns.

Zappa's in a catch-22. He may need a fight or two more like you say, but once your the mandatory challenger which he is, the question asked is, do you risk that position and a guaranteed shot for the title to grab another 'in-between' fight?

I think Geale really has improved leaps and bounds as a fighter and is more than strong enough, coupled with his high punch output work rate to get the TKO vs. Sylvester. Let's hope it can come to fruition.

Bolling just needs time and development. Fights, fights and more fights!
Contendo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum