Old 09-28-2007, 01:01 AM   #31
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thrilla In Manila...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad Spencer
If Ali "almost had him out of there" then Frazier almost had Ali out of there about 10 times in their first fight.
Yes, Ali clearly rang Frazier's bell there at the end of the second round, but it really gets blown out of proportion at times, I think in part because of the controversy over the referee's blunder at the 10-second mark. Even if the ref hadn't screwed up, Frazier wasn't desperately hanging on or reeling around or anything, just calmly covering up against Ali's flurry, Ali wasn't really connecting solidly with much of anything, and there were only 10 seconds left in the round; frankly, it would be pretty generous to say Ali "almost had Frazier down," let alone "almost had him out."

Last edited by Marciano Frazier; 09-28-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2007, 03:05 AM   #32
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
Nope, they woulnd NOT have stop the fight in the fashion that it did in 1910. Fraizer's eye ball had to be hanging out for that to happen.
The question is a little silly to a point. They would be using lighter gloves so they would not thrown such heavy punches, if they had, then the fight would not go 14 rounds, because both would of broken their hands and probably have broken jaws/cheekbones as well...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2007, 05:03 AM   #33
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
What if the thrilla in manilla had been fought in 1910?

45 rounds and no such thing as a TKO?

Who would have prevailed?
If they would've fought at the same pace, Frazier probably gets killed.

Just because Ali was happy he didn't need to fight for another round doesn't mean that he couldn't. Let's face it, he still threw a lot of punches in the 14th, it wasn't asif he was slumbing around like Robinson against Maxim. Frazier couldn't see shit and was reduced to a human punching bag that no and then throws a hook that misses its target.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 AM   #34
Blacc Jesus
ESB Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies, guys.
One more question, though: Where was Frazier ranked coming into the fight?

And I found it interesting that during the post fight interview Dunphy asked what's next and Ali replies with 'George Foreman'. We know how that turned out...
Blacc Jesus is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #35
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Jesus
Thanks for all the replies, guys.
One more question, though: Where was Frazier ranked coming into the fight?

And I found it interesting that during the post fight interview Dunphy asked what's next and Ali replies with 'George Foreman'. We know how that turned out...

Joe was Ali's mandatory defence, the only one he fought in his second reign. He'd been installad as #1 due to Foreman's absence.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #36
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
What was the general concensus going into the fight as far as who would win and how? Was the fight anticipated as much as their 1st and 2nd fights?
And which fight did you enjoy more: The Fight of the Century or the Thrilla?
I believe ali was a decent favourite to beat joe, who was seen as more past his prime due to the foreman fight & a couple of not-like-himself wins since then.

I remember it had a bit less hype than their 2nd but much much less than their 1st bout but still seen as a not to be missed fight simply because of who they were & their rivalry.

Finally, I think the thrilla was better than the 1st mainly because ali stood toe to toe more.
I think the 3rd ali frazier fight was 1 of the top 5 fights of all time & also the no1 hwt fight of all time, different level from even todays legendary hwt fights like bowe holyfield 1.

The thrilla in manilla kicks ass.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 06:14 AM   #37
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member

How much did Ali and joe get paid for the second fight?
fg2227 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #38
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I read somewhere that as soon as Ali asked Dundee to take his gloves off, Futch stopped the fight. I can't recall where I read it from though...
In Manilla, Willie "the worm" Monroe was sitting in Ali's corner at ringside. After the 14th round, he heard Ali say "cut these things off, I ain't goin' back out there, that man's crazy." Dr Pacheco proceded to rub him down while pleading with him for one more round even though Ali continued to protest. Angelo Dundee completely ignored Ali wanting to quit and both men continued to revive him. Willie Monroe ran around the ring to Frazier's corner to tell Futch not to stop the fight but Futch already signalled the end. Carlos Padilla, is a good referee who smartly went to Frazier's corner first. Protecting the fighters is the first and foremost rule of boxing and Frazier lost the fourteenth round badly. Who knows, if Padilla went to Ali's corner first, he might have heard Ali quit. Either way, this was one of the all time great fights.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #39
NickHudson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

This is exactly how I saw it too.

It is telling that even after the excellent chopping right that does the initial damage, Ali struggles to land something clean afterwards - which is unusual for Ali.

It seems unlikely to me that Frazier would have sustained any more damage in the 'extra' 10 seconds, and almost certain that he would have stayed on his feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano Frazier
Yes, Ali clearly rang Frazier's bell there at the end of the second round, but it really gets blown out of proportion at times, I think in part because of the controversy over the referee's blunder at the 10-second mark. Even if the ref hadn't screwed up, Frazier wasn't desperately hanging on or reeling around or anything, just calmly covering up against Ali's flurry, Ali wasn't really connecting solidly with much of anything, and there were only 10 seconds left in the round; frankly, it would be pretty generous to say Ali "almost had Frazier down," let alone "almost had him out."
NickHudson is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #40
torchkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
What if the thrilla in manilla had been fought in 1910?

45 rounds and no such thing as a TKO?

Who would have prevailed?
TKO or not, a fighter's cornerman could still quit. Which is what happened in Manilla.
torchkit is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2007, 02:54 AM   #41
biglads
Climbing the WBO Rankings
ESB Senior Member

I've only seen FotC once, but have the Thrilla on tape.

I can honestly say I find it hard to watch, a great fight but probably the only one (and I KNOW this sounds very stupid) where I just wish they'd stop hitting each other by the time we're midway through the fight.
biglads is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #42
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post
Joe was Ali's mandatory defence, the only one he fought in his second reign. He'd been installad as #1 due to Foreman's absence.
Very interesting.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #43
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post
Funny enough, Boxing News predicted that Frazier would win on points.

I seem to recall that one of the American boxing mags predicted the same.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #44
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Hard to split the two fights in terms of preference. The first was better skill wise. Frazier was never better than on that night,and Ali in spite of a bit of lingering ring rust,was pretty damn awesome too.

The third was all about sheer brutality and both men acted like they knew that this was the last time they'd meet in the ring. Frazier was shot to bits after this one and Ali was never quite the same.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #45
nikrj
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Technically, Manilla was not the best, but the most dramatic of the three fights. Both showed a lot of heart.
nikrj is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum