Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 1000
Default How would Mayweather be viewed if..?

Forget about debating who is going to win next week, I haven't even made a prediction yet. I may not even make one, as I want to pull for a great fight and not really a specific outcome.

I am just curious to how Mayweather would be viewed from an all time stand point if he were to defeat Hatton, and later Miguel Cotto.

What do you say about a fighter that has defeated everyone he's faced, and his list includes:

At 130: Genaro Hernandez, Diego Corrales, and Jesus Chavez

At 135: Jose Luis Castillo

At 147: Zab Judah, Carlos Baldomir

At 154: De la Hoya
?

He has also managed wins over decent contenders, that really didn't pose any sort of threat to him; Angel Manfredy, Gregorio Vargas, Gatti, Mitchell, and maybe some others.

If he can beat two young fighters, that have proven to be on a high level, what will this do for him to go out with a record of 40-0?
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Mayweather be viewed if..?

No one cares to comment?
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 1230
Default Re: How would Mayweather be viewed if..?

It would be increasingly difficult to criticize him.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Mayweather be viewed if..?

Heh... He'd be a top 3 welterweight, and that means anywhere from 1-3...
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Mayweather be viewed if..?

Above Henry Armstrong who went through the same divisions pretty much
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Mayweather be viewed if..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets
Forget about debating who is going to win next week, I haven't even made a prediction yet. I may not even make one, as I want to pull for a great fight and not really a specific outcome.

I am just curious to how Mayweather would be viewed from an all time stand point if he were to defeat Hatton, and later Miguel Cotto.

What do you say about a fighter that has defeated everyone he's faced, and his list includes:

At 130: Genaro Hernandez, Diego Corrales, and Jesus Chavez

At 135: Jose Luis Castillo

At 147: Zab Judah, Carlos Baldomir

At 154: De la Hoya
?

He has also managed wins over decent contenders, that really didn't pose any sort of threat to him; Angel Manfredy, Gregorio Vargas, Gatti, Mitchell, and maybe some others.

If he can beat two young fighters, that have proven to be on a high level, what will this do for him to go out with a record of 40-0?
I think it kind of depends on what Hatton and Cotto go on to accomplish.

I must say, looking at the two of them right now, I don't really see greatness in them, but they could well go on to prove me wrong.

Personally I feel Mayweather himself is hugely overrated, and I already have him losing to Castillo and DLH, so I don't think that highly of him as it is.

But assuming Cotto and Hatton go on to have decent careers, Floyd would have gone a whole career without decisively losing a fight, whilst facing a lot of good fighters, and so he will have to be up there somehwere. Just how high, I can't really say right now without seeing what Hatton and Cotto go on to accomplish, and also the manner in which Floyd beats them.

Last edited by sweet_scientist; 12-01-2007 at 11:28 PM.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Mayweather be viewed if..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
I think it kind of depends on what Hatton and Cotto go on to accomplish.

I must say, looking at the two of them right now, I don't really see greatness in them, but they could well go on to prove me wrong.

Personally I feel Mayweather himself is hugely overrated, and I already have him losing to Castillo and DLH, so I don't think that highly of him as it is.

But assuming Cotto and Hatton go on to have decent careers, Floyd would have gone a whole career without decisively losing a fight, whilst facing a lot of good fighters, and so he will have to be up there somehwere. Just how hight, I can't really right now without seeing what Hatton and Cotto go on to accomplish, and also the manner in which Floyd beats them.
..............I hope you mean prime for prime at least...
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #8
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Mayweather be viewed if..?

Is Mayweather a classic/great boxer. Maybe, but the designation is a bit, to state the matter mildly, premature.
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #9
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Mayweather be viewed if..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentMatt
..............I hope you mean prime for prime at least...
Hahah, sorry, I somehow came out with DLH edging it by a point.

115-114 DLH

Mayweather taking rounds 3,5,8,10 and 11.
DLH taking rounds 2,4,6,7,9 and 12.
Round 1 being even.

Maybe I'm biased in that I don't like Mayweather. Then again, I probably like DLH even less, so go figure.

I have no problem with anyone scoring rounds 1,9 or 12 for Mayweather, as those rounds could have gone either way imo.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #10
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Mayweather be viewed if..?

Let me just add that a lot is made in DLH-Mayweather of Floyd's defense and him making DLH miss, but I think the story of the fight was DLH's defense. He blocked plenty of Mayweather's punches with his gloves and pretty effectively blunted Floyd's (minimal as it already was) attack. Mind you, I also had Winky drawing with Bernard on the same principles.

So there's two decisions where I guess plenty of people would disagree with me. Oh well, so be it.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #11
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Mayweather be viewed if..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
Let me just add that a lot is made in DLH-Mayweather of Floyd's defense and him making DLH miss, but I think the story of the fight was DLH's defense. He blocked plenty of Mayweather's punches with his gloves and pretty effectively blunted Floyd's (minimal as it already was) attack. Mind you, I also had Winky drawing with Bernard on the same principles.

So there's two decisions where I guess plenty of people would disagree with me. Oh well, so be it.
I had Winky and Hop as a draw as well.. But saw Floyd beating DLH up, although it seemed to be competitive, i still didnt see anything but a UD for Floyd.
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #12
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Mayweather be viewed if..?

It may be premature, RoccoMarciano, to call Floyd great now; but the point of this thread was an if. If Mayweather went on to defeat Hatton, and maybe even Cotto.

What would that do for him in an all time sense?
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013